End of Month List: February 2021

 End of Month List: February 2021


EdisonPhonograph.jpg

Photo Source: Wikimedia CC BY-SA 3.0Link


Well, that was a weird one, wasn't it?

February initially thrived due to late January releases, some of which only bloomed in February. Of those, I counted several as February releases anyway. After that streak of solid releases, most of the month was dead empty.

Then, the final week came, and boy was it jam-packed. I gave 5 songs from that week a 9, and I think I have been harsher than ever this month. SHINee's new album quickly destroyed the competition, while there were some solid J-Pop OST songs in this time too. There were a few solid debuts, as well as legacy act returns. My top 5 is stacked, and arguably interchangeable.

Indie acts had a particularly great month across the board, providing strong quality between the major releases. Kudos to Lili, Bonander, and Se So Neon, in particular, they returned with some great singles. Also a shout out to Shreya and Soumyadeep Ghoshal's new single, it is great.

Outside of the actual releases, there still was a lot happening this month. Several new Eurovision releases are excellent, but I am shocked and totally disappointed that KEiiNO's Monument failed to qualify for the actual competition. It is my favorite song from this year's Eurovision and nearly broke into the top 5, along with SHINee's CODE.

Also, several K-Pop songs were removed from Spotify due to the disagreements between said streaming service and Kakao M. And suddenly, J-Pop is more accessible and available on Spotify than K-Pop, which says a lot.

Korean idols also are hit by a wave of bullying allegations. Some of them seem pretty fake, but others actually have strong evidence. I just hope those guilty will get what they deserve.

And on the charts, Oliva Rodrigo's debut continues to thrive worldwide, while Laboum and Brave Girls are having much-needed, yet sudden, revivals due to some great older songs from them.

My number one pick is a masterpiece. If you have not, hear it now. Also, numbers 2-4 are arguably interchangeable.

Finally, March will be a busy month for me. Sorry if my schedule is a bit slower than it was for the last two months.

Songs of the Month

Honorable Mentions

AB6IX - Stay Young

aespa - Forever

Bonander - Gone in the Wind

C.T.O - Oh! That Girl

Charlotte Perrelli - Still Young

CIX - Cinema

Dimash Kudaibergen - Golden

DISH - Birthday

Dotter  Little Tot

Duo Liang - Sword of the Martial World (Jian Zhen Jiang Hu)

Epik High - Based on a True Story

Gaho - Home

Golden Child - Breathe

IU - Celebrity

Jessie Ware - Remember Who You Are

Kang Daniel - Paranoia

KEEMBO - Inside

KEiiNO - Monument

Kero Kero Bonito - The Princess and the Clock

Kingdom - Excalibur

Lili - Reset

Lucy - Stove

Nissy - Get You Back

Parampara Tandon (of Sachet-Parampara) - Chhor Denge

Se So Neon - Jayu

SHINee - Kind, Body Rhythm, Heart Attack, Don't Call MeCØDE

Shreya & Soumyadeep Ghoshal - Angana Morey

Sunmi - Tail

The Chain G - Love Again, Wicked Night

The Mamas - In The Middle

TRI.BE - Doom Doom Ta

Tusse - Voices

Wonho - Lose

Yukika - Lovemonth

5. Wagakki Band - Aria of Life

4. ONF - Beautiful Beautiful

3. SixTONES - Boku Ga Boku Janai Mitai Da

2. SHINee - I Really Want You

1. Shinsei Kamattechan - My War (Boku No Sensou)


Top Album of the Month

Epik High - Epik High is here: Part 1

SHINee - Don't Call Me

Shinee - Don't Call Me.png
By Source, Fair use, Link


Top Music Video of the Month

KEiiNO - Monument

Comments

  1. February was so weird haha, one good thing about it (beside SHINee) is that I had loads of work so I didn't mind not being in the loop that much with all these bullying news and stuff going on. Seems like March is similar to February with barely anyone coming back at one point and then 50 comebacks in one week which is... always a fun ride.

    So glad to see I Really Want You so high hehe *-* I already said it like 5 times but I love it so so much. I'm sad they didn't promote it because I'm sure it would've been super fun.

    Aria of Life is so beautiful! So interesting, both in instrumental and vocals, love it. ☆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like Aria of Life, it really is amazing!

      I Really Want You was actually a few spots lower. Then, I took a drive, and I Really Want You is such a joy to listen to while running or driving, and I jumped its spot up!

      Delete
  2. ONF would probably be #2 to me.

    "My number one pick is a masterpiece." YES. And so cathartic to listen to. My #1 as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My number 2-4 are arguably interchangeable by mood. Who knows, it might rise there soon.

      There is no other way to describe my number one song. Lyrically and conceptually, there has not been such an ambitious piece in years.

      Delete
  3. I am absolutely enthralled by this list! I am going to review all of those Japanese releases really soon! My Top 5 would be Jayu, Beautiful Beautiful, Cinema, Boku Ga Boku Janai Mitai Da, and Breathe! I didn't rank them but I love them all. I expect My War to be very compelling so I might separate it!

    Anyways, I'm planning to review the new SB19 single which seems to be very interesting. I hope you do too review it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great top 5! Surprised by Breathe, I thought you had middling thoughts over it. I'd still give it a low 8 or something like that. Glad it grew on you!

      My War is truly amazing, listen to it as soon as you can. With the lyrics of course, the lyrics are great as well.

      Already wrote a review, but will wait a few days before publishing, wanting to see how it will age. Man, those transitions were confusing.

      Delete
    2. Yes I do agree about that transitions in SB19! It was off-putting at times. But it grew quickly on me because of the lyrics. It was just amazing fresh I guess.

      Delete
    3. I wish I did not always need to rely on subs, maybe some songs would be better for me if so.

      Delete
    4. By the way, My War by Shinsei Kamattechan is UNIVERSE SHATTERING. 10/10 (Personally). It is the definitive SOTY of Japan for sure. It will definitely get a lot of awards, I tell you. I will rate it 9.75 on my blog though It was just impeccable.

      Delete
    5. Looking forward to your review! I'll be surprised if something this year can top it. But then again, I said the same thing about Wadachi.

      Delete

Post a Comment