Review: Shinsei Kamattechan - My War (Boku No Sensou)

 

Review: Shinsei Kamattechan - My War (Boku No Sensou)

The world of J-Anime music is filled with surprises, is it not? As a non-anime fan, even I have heard of Attack on Titan, but I never thought to hear the theme song. Thankfully, Kbopped's review convinced me to give it a try. Yoshiki had done a theme song for an earlier season, so I kind of wished they would call my favorite J-Rock musician back for the finale (and that song was epic). Still, My War feels like a finale in the best way possible.

On first listen, My War gives more questions than. It has too much of everything, and that comes from a guy who complains that Frankensteinian songs are too simple. There is a crazy piano, a gothic choir, strings, a swing jazz beat, pounding J-Rock drums, a bunch of very, very different vocalists, brass, a bit of autotuned, muted, singing, a guitar, synths, and everything else I could think of. In a way, this is not really a traditional song in any way, and I am so glad it is gaining recognition as a theme of a major anime. It is good mainstream stuff is willing to go crazy at least sometimes still.

Lyrically, My War portrays a dreamy world of destruction "Angels playing disguised with devil's faces, children cling to their coins, squeezing out their wisdom". It plays this as a war theme and a warning of the terrors of conflict. The first section talks about the exhaustion, the guilt, and the home-sickness of an invading army, the second section talks about trauma after the war, and the third on the destruction left after the war.

Opening with an eery chant, and wild, dense production, My War is about its ambition from second one, the strings are a particular highlight. Noko's processed voice creates an eery feel, going against the natural instrumental. It can seem off-putting at first but is great. There is so much going on here, that I am basically barely touching the surface, which itself took several listens.

The chorus is led by a gothic choir, counter-acting with a heavenly choir singing a different line. You won't see it coming, and you still will be stunned after hearing it. The production blends classic J-Anime drums, with strings, for a deep atmosphere. I have not heard something like this since, like forever. Noko's processed voice can be off-putting, but there is surprising emotional depth in it.

After a surprising piano use, we are thrown in an even more hyper 2nd verse. The backing vocals create a sense of dread, while the beat is even more creepy. When the chorus arrives again, the chills don't stop.

After that, we get a very weird section. First, we get the gothic choir running along with a piano, creating a dreading atmosphere. Then, the gothic vocals fade away, leaving only the piano, drum, and Noko ad-libbing. The beat here is that of swing jazz, a weird choice, but the song has set us up for surprises, so it does not feel off-putting. Eventually, strings come to blend to the next section.

After that, a female-like vocalist arrives. Weirdly enough, I have heard that this voice is member Noko (who is male), straining his voice to the max. It could though be, the female member. It sounds cutesy, almost childlike. The lyrics are from a child, confused and lost after the war. It should be confusing, but it (weirdly) works.

The song now leads to its massive conclusion, where everything so far, and more come together for a few seconds.

You may be confused and bewildered by My War, but it will leave its mark. Its massive lyrical, musical, and artistic ambition is something truly chilling.

Rating: 9.25/10

Fun Fact: The Japanese title of this song is Boku No Sensou, seems like all Boku songs recently are great!



Image Source: Kbopped

Comments

  1. Glad you reviewed it, too. I may be in love with the song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is truly a masterpiece of experimental music!

      Delete
  2. 9.75 without any comments. This is just the best song I've heard this year and maybe one of the few songs that is really a 9 with time helping them. The record is just exhilarating, epic, imaginative and experimental. I will break myself if this doesn't debut on Japan Hot 100 #1. Because this deserves the #1 song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it so much! Though I gave it 9.25, I think it is already nearing, if not reached, at 9.5. It gets better each listen.

      Delete

Post a Comment