Review: Se So Neon - Jayu

 

Review: Se So Neon - Jayu

Though not my personal favorite era, Korea's golden age for music is almost undoubtedly the nineties. Seo Taiji and the Boys, Deux, Shinhwa, G.O.D, H.O.T, Sechskies, and Turbo, just to name a few. The members of Se So Neon may be too young to have experienced this era at its peak, they certainly lived in its influence. Last year's Midnight Train could have been released as a b-side on a Seo Taiji and the Boys album. 

On the other hand, Jayu is much more alternative Korean rock. Soyoon's voice as always drives the song. As with the 90s, the song deals with questions of freedom and hope.

At first, Jayu sounds insecure and driven by minimalist hope. Then, midway through the song, fear is manifested in a wild moment starting with a whole keyboard note rise, before the song returns. I am not sure if it is on purpose, but from then on, the song is more focused on the rise of hope, rather than the fall.

Jayu has that storytelling and emotion I love in music, and it is surprising I have not heard it too much. I blame this fact on Midnight Train, and the fact that I listen to a whole lot of 90s Korean music, dulling this song's impact. Still, there is no denying the emotion throughout the song.

Rating: 8.75/10



Image Source: YouTube

Comments

  1. I'm glad you liked the song. This song is just the epitome of emotion building and authentic encapsulation of the real state of mind.

    I was just impressed by this song. It is a lock for my Top 10 for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if it has a lock on my top 10, but it certainly is a excellent song!

      Delete

Post a Comment