Review: Epik High - Based on a True Story ft. Heize

 

Review: Epik High - Based on a True Story ft. Heize

It took me forever, but I finally am appreciating Epik High's new album. My biggest issue it is the swearing (I really cannot take swearing in music). If there is a clean version of Rosario, please tell me, for I think I would play it a whole lot without swearing.

Today, I am reviewing my favorite song of the album, Based on a True Story, a great song.

Lyrically, the song is a break-up song, dealing with the hiding of pain. It is a classic theme, but clever comparisons written by Tablo make it feel personal.

Based on a True Story opens with a simple piano melody. I love how omnipresent it is throughout the whole song. It creates a dreamlike feel, yet never feels generic or sampled, probably because it is not. Heize starts singing in soon, and she is the perfect feature artist for this song. Her dreamy voice feels grounded and sad, but still airy, just perfect for the piano.

Soon, the Epik High members start rapping, sadly, near hopelessly, while Heize's ad-libbing and the piano provide a great contrast. The violin here blends these two sides together.

Tablo's rap is an unveiling moment of the song, coming in strong and frustrated, dealing greatly with the dreamy violins and piano. Mithra Jin's rap keeps this flow, and I am so glad for that.

The chorus is like a dream. The piano and violin form unique instrumentation rarely seen in modern times, while Heize's voice hits hard. The basic melody is something you might see in the classical or baroque era of music, and I am glad for that.

After a great second verse, we come back to the Heize-led chorus, this time with a more clearly baroque violin usage. It works great, and I am so happy due to that.

In the end, after the song finishes, it feels like a dream, comforting and sad. While it is not epic or savage, this is Epik High doing what they do best, evoking emotion.

Also, I am counting this as a February release, because it deserves praise.

Rating: 8.75/10


Image Source: TheBiasList

Comments

  1. I like this song much more than Rosario, it just has a vibe I really enjoy. Acceptance Speech is definitely my most played song from the album, but I like Based on a True Story as well - the chorus is, like you said, like a dream, really stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Acceptance Speech is one of the best on the album. But most importantly, B.I is back there!

      Hopefully he releases an album soon!!!

      Delete
  2. As I've said in my review before, this song is just amazingly personal and great to listen to. I agree to Acceptance Speech being the best. It is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Acceptance Speech is my second favorite after this song on the album. But I am glad you, Una, and many others love it so much.

      I guess I just love this sort of classical song style.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, but well. This song is just amazing, that it is my favorite. Rosario didn't do it for me, but this did.

      Delete

Post a Comment