Review: CIX - Cinema

 

Review: CIX - Cinema

I never really got into CIX, as I felt their title tracks just got worse and worse after New World. I never hated anything they released, nor did I love it. To me, they just were releasing 'meh' music. That changes with Cinema.

Cinema borrows a lot from the girl group trend of the new 80s. Despite this, it is certainly adapted better for commercial success. It feels like a natural conclusion to the trilogy of Dynamite, Blue Hour, and this. It is dead-center when it comes to quality for this trilogy, but might grow eventually.

The main appeal here is the vocal performance of CIX. The members' voices work perfectly with this style, and them not being drenched in vocal processing helps (wink, wink, did you hear that Big Hit?).

Anyway, the guitars help de-generic-ize (is that a thing?) the song's typical R &B beat. There are some unneeded trendy flourishes occasionally, but the whole thing was created for longevity.

The lyrics are cheesy and cliched, but strong nonetheless, especially when we want a feel-good that does not make us depressed about our current situation. Cinema is this.

I wish the song built to more highlights, it just 'is' for the most part. Thankfully, the pre-chorus is pretty memorable. I wish the climax would actually combine it over the chorus, along with a high-note. It would sound like a great conclusion to the song, instead of us getting another chorus.

Cinema is strong, though not perfect. Thankfully, it has loads of room to grow.

Rating: 8/10


Image Source: Kpop Wiki

Comments

  1. 8 is a realistic rating for this, I'd give it something similar. I'm glad you like this! :) I'm interested to see what sound they'll go with next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope their next song is a more ambitious successor to this song!

      Delete
  2. Yeah! But my 8.5 still stays with this song. I love how you really compared it to the classic Big Hit boys duo. This really ends the deal. But I hope SHINee and they themselves continue it. I just hope. Cinema is just going to be my year's highlight for sure. It has already passed the point of maturity, so I've avoided it recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually want SHINee to do a more experimental and less mainstream song. Something like a successor to their last few albums.

      Delete
  3. I don't know what my final rating is yet, but I'm sensing somewhere between an 8-8.5. I wish it could've sounded more ambitious, but this is fine. The obvious highlight from this track is "cinema cinema cinema".That part is quite an ear worm!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment