Review: Duo Liang - Jian Zhen Jiang Hu

 

Review: Duo Liang - Jian Zhen Jiang Hu

Every now and then you stumble across a rare song that barely anyone has heard, but is an absolute gem. When you find those songs, you feel like sharing them, and Jian Zhen Jiang Hu is one of those songs.

Duo Liang was a participant in Voice of China, but to me, he is best remembered the singer for the ending theme of Nirvana in Fire 2, Qing Ping Yuan, for the show's second half. Despite being the lesser-known name, I felt he out-did Huang Qishan's version of the song, and I was instantly impressed.

Jian Zhen Jiang Hu seems to be the theme song for an animated show (the title being approximately called "Storm of Swords", forgive me if I am terribly off), and currently has 382 views on YouTube, at least it is better than his previous song (another solid effort), which has less than 50.

Jian Zhen Jiang Hu has that strong rock backbone that is missing in modern C-Pop. It also has great synths throughout, charging in a call-and-response with Duo Liang's voice through the verse.

The chorus lacks melody but is here to get stuck in your head. Very few singers can sell it as well as Duo Liang, and he does a great job of that.

The song truly comes to life at 2:23, when a crazy rock riff comes in, and I mean like Michael Jackson Beat It good. I love a bit of electric guitar, but the guitarist goes so strong here, that Duo Liang's voice becomes a background instrument. This guitar riff totally overpowers any doubts about the song, and pushes up a large notch.

With something good, it is sad when ignored. Thus, I hope Duo Liang get attention once again, and he works with this producer and guitarist again, because that guitar is majestic.

Rating: 8.75/10


Comments

  1. That guitar just saved my life. Omg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My reaction exactly. That guitar is just fantastic!

      Delete
  2. Ah! Finally! Chinese music is in 2021. I can't wait to hear this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Chinese music is back!

      Definitely worth a listen just due to the epic rock riff. Hope you enjoy it as much (or more than) I did!

      Delete
    2. I'm torn if this is a 9 or an 8.75! UGH... It is actually on par with Wadachi and even reminds me of Miyavi. The riff is just IMPECCABLY BRILLIANT! JUST AMAZING! This is the best contemporary Chinese song I've ever heard! Truly another gem!

      Delete
    3. Glad you loved it so much!

      The guitar riff reminded also me of Miyavi :)

      I think by this point, Duo Liang is probably the best active C-Pop singer when it comes to consistency.

      A very different song he sung is Qing Ping Yuan, the ending theme of the second season of Nirvana in Fire. It does not have any epic rock riff, but is pretty hefty on its own right due to the emotion.

      Or I am biased as I loved the season.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRPUEPAZ5jk

      Delete
    4. Ah! This is amazing! Thank you for the recommendation! But I'll stick to 8.75. I relistened to Wadachi and I might give it a 9.25 sooner than I thought. It's still raising the bar for me. Wadachi is still the best song of 2021.

      Delete
    5. Honestly, I'll not be surprised if Wadachi ends up being my top song of the year. It certainly is one of the pack leaders at the moment.

      Delete

Post a Comment