Ranking all EXO Singles


Ranking all EXO Singles

About a month ago or so, I had ranked all BTS singles. It was a hard post to write and took several days. Nonetheless, it quickly became my most viewed post by miles, garnering over 1,350 views and still growing at a pretty speedy rate. Thus, I decided to continue the 'ranking singles' series, by ranking all EXO singles. Of course, for this list, the same rules apply, the song needs to be an official single, needs to have an MV, and can be in any language.

Also, for simplicities sake, I will be following the EXO-K versions for the sub-unit era, though any sub-units other than EXO-K/M's songs are not included.


25. Lotto (2016)

Lotto was an attempt to continue on the hip-hop sound established in Monster. Unfortunately, as far as that aspect went, Lotto fails disastrously. The heavy autotune ruins EXO's best vocalists' unique timbre while leaving the song nearly unlistenable. The beat also does not do much to help the song.


24. Sing For You (2015)

EXO arguably have the greatest Christmas pop song of all time, so the rest of their Christmas singles, unfortunately, get secondary status. Sing For You has some strong moments, but overall it lacks a story, which makes the best EXO songs, Christmas or not.


23. For Life (2016)

For Life was a slight improvement over Sing For You, with a stunning piano guiding the track. However, in the end, it is little more than a sentimental diversion compared to the best EXO material.


22. Coming Over (2016)

For how popular they are in their native Korea, EXO never really took off in Japan like their predecessors such as BoA, SNSD, and TVXQ. Coming Over is one of their few original Japanese singles, but never really stood as one of their most original tracks, even if the funky beat is neat.


21. Don't Fight the Feeling (2021)

Don't Fight the Feeling is severely hurt by the two shoe-horned in half-time raps, but it succeeds with its fun melody, with Lay's cameo a particular highlight. No moment in the song can beat the cascading chorus.


20. What is Love (2012)

Few first singles have been as slow as What is Love, and even fewer boast of the melody to make the style work. Indeed, What is Love would instantly be trumped by the follow-up singles, but Baekhyun and D.O provide an incredible performance over a dramatic slow-burn, even if it is similar to TVXQ's much superior Before U Go from the year before.


19. Call Me Baby (2015)

Call Me Baby initially underwhelmed, as it pulled EXO together for commercial funk while leaving the group a few members short. And while it still has not perfectly eclipsed those initial criticisms, it is hard to not groove to the song.


18. Dancing King [with Yoo Jae-Suk] (2016)

Dancing King is a strange one amongst EXO's singles. It features legendary MC Yoo Jae-Suk and was intended for charity. As a result, it is a lot looser than some of the main EXO singles, with just enough melody to keep the track on well... track. In the end, it stands as a fun little diversion that genuinely lasted longer than a lot of the central attractions.


17. Ko Ko Bop (2017)

Very few EXO songs have been as tied to a season as Ko Ko Bop. The lethargic and chill beat screams 'relax at a beach with a tropical fruit juice'. One of EXO's most divisive singles, the electronic post-chorus is a load of fun, even if it does not really fit with the rest of the song.


16. Universe (2017)

While far from EXO's best Christmas single, Universe is still a stunning song, from its stirring 80s-inspired production to the meticulously crafted hooks. Indeed, it is sorrowful that it still lies underappreciated.


15. Tempo (2018)

Tempo is EXO's most experimental song, pulling nearly every trick in the book, and some out of it. From the heavy robotic autotune, to the confusing and ever-switching tempo, Tempo is a strange beast of a track. Indeed, it fails in over half of its experiments, but the song is amazing whenever one of the tricks succeeds, such as in the perfect A Capella segment.


14. Lightsaber (2015)

EXO and Star Wars collaborating? As a mega-fan of both those things, I was one who always enjoyed Lightsaber, though it bugged me that the song was intended as nothing more than a commercial grab. That is a shame, for Lightsaber has some truly incredible moments, such as Chanyeol's blitz-fire rap, as well as the EDM drop.


13. Power (2017)

Power has no right to be anywhere near as good as it is. It stands as a spoof of EXO's previous work, what with all the over-dramatic narration and what not. The MV is downright hilarious and so worth a watch on its own. Overall, one of the most fun EXO singles yet, even if it is not a summer song...


12. Love Shot (2018)

Love Shot is easily EXO's most commercial work yet. Despite that, it functions quite incredibly. From the stunning raps to the incredible pull-back that highlights the chorus, Love Shot is EXO's most viewed song for a reason. Pulling together smoothly and sensually, Love Shot is a strong modern EXO track.


11. Wolf (2013)

Wolf pulverized upon release for abandoning the strong message and beat of the incredible Mama. Sure, it certainly does that, it certainly is an early meme song, but it is pure head-bopping fun at times. Plus, behind all the chaos and over-the-top howls, the melody is particularly delightful, peaking in the fantastic middle-8.


10. Obsession (2019)

I remember that Obsession came out on a Wednesday where I was going to a camp without internet. Indeed, the first thing I did when I came home was listening to Obsession (yes, I am just as embarrassed as I should be, a lot), and I remember feeling intensely disappointed. 'This is not the EXO vs. X-EXO comeback we were promised. Where is the epic stunning beat from Mama, where are the hooks from Miracles in December? Why is there that annoying sample loop of "I want you"?'. Now, looking back, years after the anticipation, I truly enjoy Obsession. From its stunning dark beat to experimental sample, it is anything but forgettable.


9. Love Me Right (2015)

Ah, Love Me Right, a favorite of EXO fans across the globe. Indeed, it stands as the first time Sehun was allowed to get any real lines in a song. While the song keeps Call Me Baby's funky sound, it improves on it with some incredible hooks, and a chorus to bring things back whenever they go too far out.


8. Lucky One (2016)

Lucky One perfectly concluded the funk trilogy of EXO singles started by Call Me Baby. Despite its amazing quality, it was somewhat underpromoted and thus ignored in the favor of Monster. That is a shame, as Lucky One's flute sample is one of the cleverest tricks in EXO's discography.


7. Monster (2016)

EXO's take on the heavy hip-hop sound popular at the time, Monster stands as one of EXO's biggest hits, and for good reason. From the flipping and fluttering hip-hop synths, inverted choreography, to the over-the-top delivery, Monster is all about the atmosphere and succeeds in it greatly.


6. Growl (2013)

Growl is far from EXO's most ambitious single, but there is a reason it is their signature song: it is accessible, and strongly encourages subsequent listens. The subtle R&B beat explodes in its own unique way, while each hook is cool and calculated, never straying from its intention. If any one song can be credited for EXO's meteoric rise, it is Growl.


5. Overdose (2014)

If you had asked me in 2014, I would have called Overdose EXO's peak. While it no longer holds that honor, it is hard to argue against that claustrophobic electro-pop melody, culminating in a fantastic rap break. In the end, it is a strong conclusion to EXO's era as a 12 member group.


4. History (2012)

As EXO's second pre-release single, History completely switches up the style for a futuristic and funky beat courtesy of mega-producers Thomas Troelsen and Yoo Young-Jin. The first few minutes are a bit sub-par, but the song absolutely explodes in the bridge, with an excellent high note and a fantastic rap break, culminating all the building tension of the song for an unforgettable moment.


3. Electric Kiss (2018)

From now on, we are practically comparing perfection with perfection. For how unheard their Japanese material remains, they have some highlights. Their 2018 album is arguably the best of them, with each track providing something incredible. And among that list of highlights, Electric Kiss stands out as the peak.

From the towering chorus to the excellent vocal processing, Electric Kiss builds an atmosphere, and then resorts to using it as a playground, and does so excellently.


2. Mama (2012)

Mama captures the sonic chaos of History and the melody of What is Love but goes beyond them both by miles. Mama is a full-fledged rock opera anthem, surging with dramatic orchestral flourishes, gothic beats, gregorian chants, screamo raps, percussive dance break, and stunning high notes. What it lacks in a speedy tempo it more than makes up for with nearly every other sonic trick tried in the book.

In anyone else's control, this could come off as primeval chaos. But in the hands of legendary producer Yoo Young-Jin, it comes off as a story. The fantastic vocal performance by all the members of course helps as well, leading to a strong stature throughout the whole track. From the lyrics criticizing technological addictions to the fantastic musical choices, Mama is not only a great EXO track by miles but one of the best songs of the 2010s from any nation.


1. Miracles in December (2013)

It sounds stupid. A Christmas ballad topping the list of best singles by one of the greatest pop groups of the decade. That too, the song only features three members. That said, there is a reason Miracles in December tops, it is practically perfect.

Whichever language Miracles in December is sung in, it hits like bricks. Just hear this excellent cover. Indeed, Miracles in December snowballs, building from nothing to an empty everything, but still growing the entire time. Indeed, the song features some of the best lyrics of EXO, in both Mandarin and Korean.

Each time the central refrain hits, one cannot help but cry. That said, Miracles in December is not a song without hope. Indeed, it is easily EXO's most hopeful song. Nothing can truly limit Miracles in December. Vocal-wise, Miracles in December is not EXO's hardest performance, but it is easily their most emotional, and all 4 main vocals easily capture the pain and hope the song intended. Chen, in particular, is at his best, each syllable he sings is frankly fantastic.

Someday, in the future, when EXO as a group ceases, as all groups do. I can almost certainly guarantee you, the first song I'll go to play is Miracles in December. Indeed, the song is a masterpiece. From stunning live performances to the incredible MV, Miracles in December is one of those songs that sticks with you long after you listen to it. Truly, it is EXO's peak, and one of K-Pop's peaks as a whole.



Image Source: K-Luv

Comments

  1. Mama in top 3 as it should be. All is right in the universe. I think I would've ranked them similarly as you, with the massive exception of What Is Love cause that's my favourite EXO-K song.

    I feel like Overdose is what all the boy groups are trying to achieve now with their angsty concepts but it's just not working out.

    Anyway, let me go listen to the last minute of Wolf like my life depends on it. Mr Chen should not have the ability to carry that much of a vocal talent in his body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today is EXO day, you reviewed an EXO hit, and I ranked all their singles!

      Mama is truly an incredible track. In fact, I expected it to take the top spot when I started writing this post, until I heard Miracles in December and paused for a second.

      I knew my decision to put What is Love so low would be divisive. Objectively, it actually deserves to be much higher, but I personally just find it an inferior version of TVXQ's Before U Go, and you probably know how much I am a geek for everything that TVXQ does these days.

      Your description of Overdose and modern K-Pop angst is so true, I am surprised I did not realize that yet. Well, most modern emo K-Pop angst boy group tracks lack a Kenzie behind the scenes for sure!

      Seriously though, Chen is so crazily talented, I can't wait to see how big his military return will be :)

      Delete
  2. I knew you would reference Before U Go when bringing up What is Love!

    Nice list, though I'm not keen on Obsession and Wolf being near the top 10 (though I think Wolf has enough to kind of validate itself).

    Mama is my definitive favorite! How on earth does an artist officially debut with a track like that?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am I that predictable, haha! That said, it was really hard not to, those songs are practically twins!

      I knew Wolf and Obsession would be the most divisive picks amongst the ranking for sure. Don't mind it though, those songs were not made for everyone.

      And for how an act debuts with something like Mama? The company allows Yoo Young-Jin to do what he does best.

      Delete
  3. My Personal Top Five from EXO:

    5. Miracles In December (2013)
    Though labeled as a seasonal song, Miracles' gorgeous melody and cathartic build-up can be hard-hitting in any time of the year. Most of the song unfolds like a story, leading for some of the most goosebump-inducing moments in the entirety of EXO's discography.

    4. Love Me Right (2015)
    A glorious summer smash moment for the group, Love Me Right packs a dizzying punch with an instrumentation that incorporates a spontaneous use of addictive rhythm guitar and freewheeling hook after hook. It's an experience not to be missed!

    3. Electric Kiss (2018)
    My Favorite single to come out from the guys during 2018, Electric Kiss triumphed over their korean work with it's thundering percussion and ever-shifting arrangement. The Track has an incredible build, gathering steam by each segment before exploding into that bombastic, call-to-arms chorus. Their best song ever since 2013!

    2. Growl (2013)
    One of K-pop's most iconic tracks and the song which carved out the unique identity EXO needed to explode into ubiquity. Growl has a way in getting into your skin, with a rhythmic chorus that *oozes* charisma. Most of the credit has to go to EXO, They perform the hell out of the song and inject an unyielding force of personality onto the song. With all of this laid down on the line, I think it's safe to say "Growl" is EXO's Magnum-Opus.

    I'll put in some honorable mentions before we get to my personal number one.
    History (2012)
    Wolf (2013)
    Overdose (2014)
    Call Me Baby (2015)
    Lucky One (2016)
    Obsession (2019)

    Now for my FAVORITE EXO SINGLE EVER!
    1. Mama (2012)
    EXO was officially launched into the industry with a killer debut track. Mama, is one of my all time favorite K-pop songs and for good reason, It's incredible sense of idiosyncrasy and odd genre-bending structure is exactly what made me fall in love with K-pop in the first place, and the fact that it never lets up is an even bigger accomplishment! From the very first moment, the song employs grandiose strings which swell with theatricality, the melody follows suit with this drama as EXO give a ballsy, aggressive performance which perfectly compliments the stomping percussion supporting it. It becomes much better as we glide into the towering chorus, I think the melody here could've become repetitive and one-note in lesser hands but EXO infuse an emotional sense of pathos and tragedy, It's incredibly affecting in a way. But the rest of the song is no slouch either, The Verses are compelling and the Gregorian chants are a great additional element but the bridge by far, is the song's best moment. I love me some electric guitar, and the bridge incorporates a jagged, rough use of the element that I can't help but be in a state of awe in this commanding solo. We move onto a dynamic screamo-rap section before making our way into a final majestic chorus.
    Like I mentioned before, Mama is peak representation of K-pop and it's odd genre-bending structure, Even when K-pop has moved past these type of songs, Mama still proves how powerful the industry can be when embracing its own ambition! That's done for today, I typed too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, this is a review in itself Yan! Quite impressive!

      And those are some solid picks. Seems like we'd both put Electric Kiss at 3, and I actually think I probably like Mama a bit more than you (based on where I'd put it on my all-time list), that is how much I LOVE Miracles in December. But boy, you're writing for Mama is the length of a small review, amazing :)

      Delete
  4. Obsession on Top 10 is an off kilter for this list, as I absolutely disliked every single thing about that comeback (this is my opinion). Anyway, I think my Holy Trinity still stands: Growl, Overdose and Wolf are the best EXO songs of all-time. Maybe only MAMA will ever beat the Holy Trinity. But that said, this is an absolute killer of a review which I really loved.

    Miracles in December was kind of forgettable for me (another shitty take) as I am an absolute ballad hater and I only heard it when I was watching my TV back in 2014 so I guess I did forget it. But that song was great! It just was forgettable for me. Enough of the ramblings, EXO was my first group and also one of my most unforgettable ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, as I said in my reply to Terrance, Obsession is one of my more divisive picks for sure. Nonetheless, I stand by my choice.

      Growl, Overdose, and Wolf. I think those are the three EXO singles that kept me a massive fan of K-Pop during the early-to-mid 2010s. I am pretty sure you remember how dominant EXO were then, I think I certainly have played your trinity more than any other EXO song haha.

      Somewhat surprised for your thoughts on Miracles in December, but I guess I am much more of a ballad guy than you are. Surprised you saw it on TV anyways.

      EXO were also one of my favorite and unforgettable groups, which explains why I was so disappointed with Don't Fight the Feeling haha.

      Delete
  5. WOLF (the EXO'r'Dium remix is insane to me), ELECTRIC KISS, MIRACLES IN DECEMBER. YES. And so many other really good songs. I was never a fan of EXO, but I acknowledge how great their discography is.

    Not even a ballad person (maybe because I hardly hear good ballads), but Miracles in December is just amazing. I can see why it's #1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not count remixes for this, but Wolf would cross Obsession and Love me Right if I counted the amazing EXO'r'Dium remix, it captures that mad intensity and chaos that made Wolf so fun and memorable. Those haunting synths, the piano, the dance break, and the cascading electric keyboard make a great song even better. Maybe it would even beat Lucky One, it is hard to say.

      And those are some amazing picks you've listed!

      Delete
  6. Miracles in December is one of best ballad i heard in kpop
    Would you like to review salim-sulaiman bhoomi 2020 album ?
    Imo you should give it a chance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miracles in December, isn't it?

      Bhoomi 2020 is a pretty strong album. I am not sure I'll review it as I am busy, but it is one of the better albums to come from South Asia this year. Muraliya and Haq Ali are my favorites, but the album as a whole gets better in the second half.

      Delete

Post a Comment