Review: Dotter - Little Tot

Dotter at Melodifestivalen 2020
By Wikimedia, CC BY-SA 4.0, Link

 Review: Dotter - Little Tot

I am sure many readers are surprised by how little I have talked about Melodifestivalen this year. I just found all songs from the first heat to be utterly underwhelming. At least there have been a few highlights to come from the second heat. Of those, Little Tot is easily the best.

Dotter's Bulletproof lost last year's Melodifestivalen agonizingly by one point. It was my personal favorite song from the competition, and my personal favorite Eurovision song from 2020, in the contest or running for it. It made it into my top 25 for last year and had a fantastic performance. This was my overall reaction before hearing Little Tot, her song for Melodifestivalen 2021.

1. Ooh, Dotter is back for Melodifestivalen! Ya-Hooh!

2. Ugh, the song is called Little Tot, is it gonna be another terrible nursery rhyme!?

3. Wow, the song is actually quite good.

The lyrics are about confusion and loss of knowing what is right. Dotter is singing this to a toddler. Thus, Dotter's delivery style is very, very different. She also seems much more polished and confident, almost as if she is ready to win.

The song's instrumental switches between a funky bassline, and an emotional synth line like that from Bulletproof. Dotter's slinky voice works well with the bassline, but her emotional performance works well with the synth line.

Initially, the second phase of the chorus is underwhelming. But in subsequent repetitions, it comes with a stronger backbeat, making it a standout.

To conclude the song, Dotter pulls out a classic high-note. While not as instant as Bulletproof, Dotter has proven the spark is still active.

Rating: 8.75/10

Comments

  1. I completely forgot to catch up on Melodifestivalen omg. I saw Danny Saucedo (whose Swedish releases I like) was competing but it just slipped my mind later on. Considering Swedish is my job and (useless) area of expertise, I've never been a big fan of Melodifestivalen haha, I don't know why, but this song is really good! Thanks for reminding me of stuff yet again ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was supposed to me a laughing emoji but thanks for nothing web browser lol.

      Delete
    2. Did not know about your knowledge of this stuff!

      Danny Saucedo made it to the final with his release, but I found it middling personally. Only this and Anton Ewald's song made me excited.

      No problem, glad to introduce everyone to some new songs!

      Delete
  2. Well, I'll be checking this out! Dotter always impresses me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here (though she has some duds), hope you like it as much as I did!

      Delete

Post a Comment