Review: SixTONES - Bokuga Boku Janai Mitai Da

 

Review: SixTONES - Bokuga Boku Janai Mitai Da

SixTONES are on a roll lately. Forgive me if I am wrong, but I think this is their third single this year already. Their first album is already one of my favorite albums this year, as it was consistent. Despite this, Bokuga Boku Janai Mitai Da is easily their best song this year so far, and one of their best songs overall.

Lyrically, a song about loss and hope, Bokuga continues the trend of SixTONES releasing great and emotional singles at the same time.

Opening as a ballad, it takes literally seconds before the whole band joins in to bring this song to its heart. Vocally speaking, SixTONES is perhaps one of the greatest Johnny's groups ever, and Bokuga is a great showcase of this. The percussion here is driven by strong drums. It takes more than a listen for it to sink in, as the whole instrumental is so ambitious.

That chorus. Uplifting, sad, melodic, it is peak SixTONES stuff. Strings, guitars, drums, brass, and of course, the members, singing in a falsetto before showing their own ranges. This massive performance would be nothing without the emotion in the members' voices. It is memorable and catchy, and basically short of perfect.

After that, we get another standout verse. I am surprised Juri is made to sing, as I thought he would probably give a standout rap verse. This is somewhat limiting to the song, but not too much. Anyway, Juri actually can sing, so he does not stand out so much.

The guitar breakdown following the next chorus is amazing and blends perfectly with the emotional violin-driven section following.

Following a key change, we get the final, perfect chorus. I wish we got a high-note or something, but there is no faulting that falsetto note by Taiga ending the song.

Overall, this is Wadachi's first, real competition for song of the year, and a near-perfect song. Emotional, epic, this is peak SixTONES. It is amazing for any artist to be as consistent as SixTONES, and near impossible to do so since debut. They have yet to release a bad single, and their vocal performance skills are just getting better and better.

Rating: 9.25/10

Good audio full version performance link


Image Source: Asian Junkie

Comments

  1. At least Wadachi has got some competition. But to be honest, Wadachi aces by a single digit for me. Bokuga will likely remain as my High Fever of 2021.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure Bokuga beats Wadachi yet, but it is close for me. Funny you compared it to High Fever, as I feel there is some similar (not same) chord progressions between the two at times.

      Delete
    2. LOL. I get the comparisons. I just compared it to High Fever since I played the hell out of that song. This one's the next.

      Delete

Post a Comment