Review: Wagakki Band - Aria of Life

 

Review: Wagakki Band - Aria of Life

Wagakki Band is basically their title, they are a band who play with Wagakki (traditional Japanese instrumentation). Their songs strongly remind me of Wuxia OSTs, a particular favorite genre of mine, just with Japanese instead of Chinese instrumentation. Aria of Life is an anime theme, but as with anime themes, sounds totally off-field and weird for someone looking for typical, western-like OSTs.

The verses are the song's best strength. Yuko Suzuhana is a strong vocalist, and the instrumental just assists her but lets her thrive. This all builds to a massive pre-chorus.

The chorus can seem initially underwhelming, especially after all the build. It is that, but the drums and flutes give it a unique edge. Especially the Japanese flute. I love flutes, and am so sad we don't see them often in modern music. Thus its large role in this song is a joyous sign.

We then get an epic section, part anime-rock, part flute-led traditional piece. The tempo raises, while a strong guitar-based melody comes into assist. When the chorus hits again, the tempo grows further. It becomes clear this is a snowball song, and I just love that. The zither-like instrument also thrives.

The song leaves on an explosive note, leaving the listener stunned. Aria of Life is truly something, and I wonder how it will grow.

Rating: 9/10

Okay, the review already has a lot of views, but I quickly want to increase the score from 8.75 to 9. This song is getting better every listen, and is unique enough that it is pretty much that it deserves it.

Image Source: Sync Music Japan

Comments

  1. 108Music! I have been not reviewing Japanese releases recently and I think I should just jump all of my reviews for them this week. I will check this out! I am excited! By the way, will you be reviewing BDC? I'm excited to see it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May review BDC, my schedule is getting busier, so hard to tell. But I enjoy it!

      Looking forward to your J-Pop reviews!

      Delete

Post a Comment