Top 10 Music Videos of 2020


 Top 10 Music Videos of 2020

2020 was a great year for MVs, and my top 10 are extremely strong. I hope you enjoy reading.

10. Dua Lipa - Break my Heart

Hallucinate also had a great MV, but in the end, the nod went to this modern hit. Over the top, yet still fun, the strong CGI usage eventually seals the deal.

9. Rain x J.Y. Park - Switch to Me

Released on the last day of the year, Switch to Me speeds into the list. It feels like what the J.Y. Park and Sunmi collaboration's MV wanted to be. It is unabashedly goofy, but knows what it wants to be, and succeeds at that. The helicopter and Psy scenes put a smile on my face.

8. BTS - ON

Many people believe that The Weeknd's Blinding Lights is the year's most cinema-inspired MV, I feel the need to note this one instead. I love a good "rise from defeat" story, and that is what ON conveys. Elements of famous films are seen (such as Narnia and Lion King ).

7. Lee Suhyun - Alien

Face it, the young days are nostalgic. There are always moments of youth to miss. Alien catches one of them. AKMU has always been known for great MVs, and Alien is no exception. The comic book captions and scenes feel like they are from a cartoon network show, just better.

6. Everything Everything - Big Climb

Everything Everything is barely noticed, and thus they have an extremely low budget for their MVs. Still, this has forced creativity to lead the charge. Big Climb is an attack at the terrible effects on nature by this corporate climate. Cleverly used shots, and disturbing images of destruction, show the message. Still, the corporate shots, and the pain on the band members' expression seals the deal.

5. Agust D - Daechitwa

The music video is great if you see it on its own, but is much better if you research Korean research to further appreciate the storyline (Agust D from D-2 might be time-traveling to kill his predecessor/ancestor Agust D from D-1). Along with the cultural references, there are several references to BTS's story.

4. Little Big - Hypnodancer

This Russian party band was supposed to go to Eurovision this year, and they certainly acted like that. Hypnodancer is a wacky song in its own right, but the MV made it wackier. You can't spend hours analyzing this one, it is pure, stupid, fun. The overacting, and over-usage of pencils and Uno, made it better. The "dance" break at 2:58 might be the best non-musical musical moment of the year. Warning, the MV is really, really, weird.

3. Dimash Kudaibergen - Qairan Elim

Cinematic and with a massive budget, Qairan Elim-'s budget is appropriate for a mega-star's homage to his homeland. Still, all that budget would be a waste without good MV direction. Just like the song, the tension in the MV escalates with the song. The piano on fire shots might be some of my favorites from the year. 

2. Official Hige Dandism - Laughter

Higedan's modern masterpiece had a great MV supporting it. Rather than an elaborate love story, or a rebel, Higedan simply showed two friends working together. The nostalgic and dreamy shots supported the song's lyrics and themes greatly. Some shots suggest that perhaps one of the two was just dreaming of the support needed to go on (something Higedan have done before), and either interpretation works great.

1. Pentagon - Basquiat

A slightly odd pick, as its MV was technically a performance MV, but by far still an incredible visual performance, and the best this year. I love it when a dance or play tells a story with a message without words. The choreography of Basquiat showcases a rise with perfect ambition. In a year where many of us were tired of corruption and treachery by leaders, Basquiat was an old rebellion storyline perfectly showed in modern times. The dance worked great, while the camera angles support the message instead of going against it. It is an old-school play or broadway performance, made better by its message.

Comments

  1. Interesting picks! I really love Break My Heart and Daechwita music video too. I think some of my favourites of 2020 were Dua's Physical, B1A4's Like a Movie, Golcha's Lucid Dream & Miley's Midnight Sky. (off top of my head haha) I also loved ONEUS's 2020 music videos, they always have rich imagery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like a Movie and Lucid Dream had great MVs, though Midnight Sky, Physical, and the Oneus MVs were not for me. Glad you liked them though.

      2021 looks like it is going to be a great year for MVs, Golcha and Yunho's MVs are great proof.

      Delete
  2. Well, 108! You already know my Top 5 for sure. It's in my award shows.

    1. TXT - Eternally
    2. Stray Kids - Back Door
    3. BTS - ON
    4. Agust D - Daechwita
    5. Official Hige DANdism - Laughter
    6. FANTASTICS from EXILE Tribe - High Fever
    7. ONEUS - TO BE OR NOT TO BE
    8. IU, SUGA - eight
    9. A.C.E - Favorite Boys
    10. Red Velvet IRENE&SEULGI - Naughty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do have a very strong list! I like it!

      Delete
    2. Great List! Particularly IU's Eight, barely missed mine.

      2020 was a great year for MVs, and 2021 looks like its off to a great start!

      Delete
    3. Indeed! I mean ABC MVs went comparably better than it was in the past few years. Asian production especially in China was incomparable with any MV production. It was just a great year for the visual arts.

      Delete
    4. Well, budget went up for the MVs, but I prefer the MVs that try something new and unique. If this was a cool CGI list though, Lay's Lit would top.

      But ya, ABC and Chinese MVs are finally doing something.

      Delete
  3. 108! This is KPOP Emergency! The 18th Korean Music Awards nominees were announced now! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRVnxgZ3hCo

    BTS got 5 nominations
    ZICO got 3 nominations
    YUKIKA got 2 nominations
    Baekhyun got 2 nominations
    IU got 2 nominations
    DeVita was Best New Artist nominated
    hyukoh got 4 nominations (maybe more)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My awards were really predicting the KMAs very accurately. Even for hyukoh and Lee Nalchi's nominations. I was bewildered how accurate I was from the nominees. EVEN YUKIKA!

      Delete
    2. Good award prediction job StillBangtan!!!

      Surprised to see Yukika get a nomination from a major award, deserved though.

      Delete
    3. Indeed! I was actually shocked. But I guess the critic push for Yukika was just there. She was obscure, she was praised by albumoftheyear.org and even rateyourmusic.com so I guessed the KMA saw those people.

      The KMA's is also getting well known though. I hope it will reach the level of the GDAs sooner. The KMA's should be the standard to beat, honestly.

      Delete
    4. I never was big into the whole award show thing, probably due to the MAMAs putting a negative opinion on me. But recently your enthusiasm for them and your awards are reigniting my interest! Who knows, I may even cover the award performances next year.

      Delete
    5. That's great, but my interest are just in those highly reputable award shows. MAMAs and other shows are not really my favorites (hell even my biggest enemy) since they invalidate the meaning of an award show. Excellence in music.

      Many winners of many award shows (MAMAs, AAAs, APAN, and such) do not have excellence in music. This was also the main reason I was doing award shows on my own. I find the MAMAs, GDAs and SMAs to be the same bunch of people not really that critically-acclaimed. Just commercially successful

      They are merely charitable institutions as I call them. I only review 3 major ones (KMA, JRA and the GRAMMYs). The rest can die.

      Delete
    6. Ya, the award shows can get way to based on commercial success and not quality. I love BTS's Dynamite, but it is no SOTY, even some b-sides on MOTS:7 are more deserving.

      Delete
    7. Ugh, what I meant in the first sentence is that MAMAs and what not base their awards on commercial success not quality.

      Delete

Post a Comment