January Multi-Song Review Pt. 2 (The Weeknd, Victon, The Rampage, NCT 2021, Ninety One, Lin Manuel-Miranda)


January Multi-Song Review Pt. 2 (The Weeknd, Victon, The Rampage, NCT 2021, Ninety One, Lin Manuel-Miranda)

January had a lot of highlights, but I spent much of the second half of the month unable to blog. As a result, I have a lot of catching up to do. Hence, this multi-song review is going to have to be split into two.


The Weeknd - Out of Time

Off The Weeknd's latest album, Dawn FM, b-side Out of Time is far and away the best track. Taking full advantage of The Weeknd's powerful and melodic voice. Clearly inspired by '80s acts, such as Mariya Takeuchi, Junko Ohashi, DeBarge, and Michael Jackson. The production is dense, even if repetitive, and it strongly assists The Weeknd's dreamy voice.

Rating: 8.5/10


Victon - Chronograph

At what point does a tribute become plaigarism? It is hard to not ask that when listening to Victon's latest single, Chronograph. While members of Victon have individual styles, Chronograph is heavily indebted to SHINee's influential discography. The opening of the second verse feels like a direct-copy of Minho's low voice rap in I Really Want You from last year. While it loses any potential originality points, Chronograph relishes in its speedy and powerful (if extremely SHINee-esque) chorus.

Rating: 8.25/10


The Rampage - Ray of Light + Jump

Ray of Light is easily the group's best song in years. Embracing the theatrical energy and swag that made them great in the first place, Ray of Light relishes in its ambitious moments. The chorus is in particular memorable, with the vocoder perfectly playing off the members' voices.

In addition, their entire album is strong. I would particularly recommend their recording of Van Halen's classic Jump. Adding a modern dance-pop and hyper-pop interpretation to the song, it is hard to judge it fairly, as the original is a bona fide classic. However, it does nothing wrong and adds some nice touches.

Ray of Light Rating: 8.5/10

Jump Rating: 8.75/10



Bonus Section: Late 2021 Songs that this site will count as 2022 songs because I only grew to appreciate them this year and there is no one to stop me


NCT 2021 - Beautiful

I have no idea why it took me so long to fully appreciate this track. It practically was written for me in mind. That said, Beautiful is one of the best-written NCT tracks in ages. While best known for their rappers, NCT's 23 members have quite a few fantastic vocalists. Beautiful takes full advantage of this roster, at the expense of their most famous members being largely sidelined, along with NCT's strongest full-group track. Taking advantage of a light pop-ballad sound, NCT inhabits the sound, even if the harmonies lack the charm of a small, diverse set of vocalists.

Rating: 8.75/10


Ninety One - Darn

With so many Kazakh idol groups disbanding, and many of the surviving artists attaching themselves to Russia under the economic tension, Ninety One have a strong chance to expand their sites in their native land. While I do not think it has become a chart-topper yet, Darn is clearly one of Ninety One's best efforts ever. Opting for a synthwave inspired sound, Darn can best be described as Blinding Lights meets Thriller, and utterly relishes in its dark, middle-of-the-night, synth-pop. The lyrics are also clever, but of course, this is expected from Ninety One.

The chorus is utterly stunning, it smoothly flows from the equally genius and emotional pre-chorus, with just enough groove. Not everything in Darn perfect. In particular, the second verse slows things down too much for the rap, and could have skipped the pre-chorus, instead just jumping into the chorus for increased intensity. Nonetheless, it is hard to fault Darn, as it is instantly engaging.

Rating: 9/10


Lin Manuel-Miranda (Encanto Soundtrack) - We Don't Talk About Bruno ( Sung by Carolina Gaitan, Maura Castillo, Adassa, Rhenzy Feliz, Diane Guerrero, Stephanie Beatriz)

Everyone, myself included, seemingly ignored this track upon the movie's launch, until it became a viral internet sensation months later. A veritable meme-machine, it is hard to ignore the fact that We Don't Talk About Bruno is musical genius, and one of Disney's best releases this century. Opting for a Latin-pop sound, We Don't Talk About Bruno is strong until the finale, where every single line of the song is sung on top of the other. The end result is one of the greatest musical climaxes in recent years, closing the song on a high.

Rating: 8.75/10


Image Source: Trending PH

Comments

  1. Great reviews 108ent! Glad to see your thoughts on the jam-packed schedule that Dec 2021-Jan 2022 gave us.

    Ok personal controversies and memes aside, Lin Manuel-Miranda's musical contribution to 'Encanto' is really good. Lots of great songs in the movie, especially 'We Don't Talk About Bruno'. I'm sorry for any Brunos out there, but that song is perfecto.

    Definitely one of his more memorable works alongside Hamilton.

    Also glad to know NCT 2021's 'Beautiful' has grown on you! Choir NCT still sounds great month(s) later hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Haruko!

      Yeah, We Don't Talk About Bruno is so fun. I too feel sorry for all Brunos, but there is a 90% the song is playing in my head if anyone tells me that is there name lol.

      Yeah, it took me a while, but I finally appreciate Beautiful, it truly is fantastic!

      Delete
  2. This is just amazing! Thank you for your wonderfully written reviews, again, I am so surprised that this year started very strong.

    As for me, I didn't really connect with Beautiful and thought it was forgettable, so sorry for that.

    We Don't Talk About Bruno is not the best song, that might be Dos Oruguitas, not because it's gonna get an Oscar nod for Original Song, but because the lyrics are just legendary, and the composition is immaculate.

    Chronograph is a favorite of mine and a very much catchy tune, definitely on my top 10 of the month.

    I have yet to listen to the Japanese releases tho and The Weeknd's song but if I didn't listen to Easy on Me than uhm yeah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks StillBangtan!

      Beautiful did not connect to me at first, but it slowly grew on me as the weeks went by. Now, I fully enjoy it! Hopefully that happens to you too.

      I am fully on team We Don't Talk About Bruno when it comes to Encanto songs, really due to the climax, but Dos Orguitas is probably more solid overall.

      Chronograph is a lot of fun when good!

      I hope you enjoy The Weeknd and Japanese releases when you hear them!

      Delete
  3. I love the chorus in Chronograph so much that I already forgive its shortcomings. The energy reminds me of Born to be Wild by JO1 which is probably my favorite song last year and me finding something similar to it is a plus. Chronograph doesn't reach that level of great because it's too short to build up but I still love it. I am okay with the trap part because I love Hanse's rapping skills. Also I can hear the similarity between I Really Want You by SHINee and Chronograph's 2nd verse. Thanks for the reviews!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KKEXO!

      See, I am among those who actually appreciates Born to be Wild by JO1, but don't love it. Still, I get the analogy, for it is still better than Chronograph. Hanse's rapping definitely saves the second verse for sure, he can rap!

      I am glad I am not the only one feeling the similarity!

      Delete
    2. Interesting how Chronograph gets inspiration from great songs such as Atlantis, I Really Want You, and Born to be Wild (many say Spin Off but I only heard the song twice I'm not very familiar with it) and taking notes from these songs could have had guaranteed it to get at least a 9 score from various blogs but still falls short due to it being a condensed combination of ideas from those songs instead of being the real deal. I think it's also with the length of the song being just 3 minutes long when it could have benefited from having a hook similar to "get get get you want" or a 2 part chorus as BTBW (after all BTBW is almost 4 minutes long).

      Delete
    3. Yeah, increased length would greatly improve Chronograph. Keeping all its ideas compact doesn't exactly work.

      Delete
  4. Glad you like Beautiful too, it feels like a warm hug in a song form often.

    I agree about Chronograph – I can objectively appreciate what it does and admit it's a good song but I'm not nearly enamoured with it as the rest. I also think they should explore a style that will make the listeners think "oh, this is definitely VICTON" (even though the opinions are split, Nostalgic Night + their post-Produce songs gave me that).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Their work from Nostalgic Night to What I Said did build a set sound for them, even if they grew more militant as time went on. Howling is still their best track lol.

      Delete

Post a Comment