Review: ONF - Beautiful Beautiful

 

Review: ONF - Beautiful Beautiful

ONF's Beautiful Beautiful has been playing in my head for days by now. Yes, it came out like a day or two ago, but the preview was so good, that I knew it would be great.

Opening with a massive "Rum Pum Pum" line, the opening like by Hyojin is enough of a hook that from the preview I thought it would be the chorus. The first verse is so filled with hooks it is hard to breathe. The pre-chorus fades things just a bit, before the massive chorus hits.

The song drives on a funky groove, but it is not exactly limited to that. The beat is euphoric in driving. Hwang Hyun uses funk to ONF's strengths, just like he did with tropical-pop for their 2018 gem Complete.

Opening with a massive "I'm Beautiful" hook, the chorus is massive. The members' voices come together greatly, assisted by Hwang Hyun's strong arrangement, which blends nostalgia with futuristic, joyous, euphoria. It is followed by the "Rum Pum Pum" returning, better than ever.

I have some gripes with the second verse. Notably, Wyatt's voice does not really blend with the other members' voices. This was used as an advantage in New World's second verse, but not so much here. Thankfully, a strong arrangement hides this, while Wyatt's pre-chorus appearance is much better mixed.

Once again, the chorus is a gem. But now comes my favorite moment in the song, the bridge. Hwang Hyun opts for a massive electric guitar, while the high-note deserves high praise.

And though it is just for a few seconds, I need to talk about the A Capella segment. It is something you'd see in 50s American vocal pop. It is a sound I love, but hear rarely in modern times. I never realized ONF were so strong vocalists until this moment. It is a pitch-perfect moment, and my favorite musical moment from 2021 so far, easily.

The final chorus is pretty much the same thing again, just with a stronger arrangement, and a more massive ending. Kudos to Hwang Hyun and the members for delivering a masterful song. While a little weaker than Complete or New World, Beautiful Beautiful still stands as a massive, triumphant moment in ONF's amazing discography.

Rating: 9.25/10


Image Source: Spotlight Reviews

Comments

  1. So glad everyone likes this. Such a refreshing sound after all the moody, dish clattering bg releases during these past few months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the amount of times you told massive in this review is astounding....but I don't blame you, this really is grand! I was waiting for your review on this song, And unlike ATEEZ's comeback today, It was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I counted now. Wow I said 'massive' in the review is 7 times.

      Glad you were waiting for my review :)

      Delete

Post a Comment