Review: Bonander - Gone in the Wind

 

Review: Bonander - Gone in the Wind

This month I have been finding a lot of indie songs and alternative music. Swedish artist Bonander is the latest. She is trying dark pop, a type of alternative pop I never heard of till today. That said, Gone in the Wind is greater than the 116 views it has so far (update: it has now gained nearly 9,000 views. I suppose it is good and people recommended it to others like what I am doing).

Bonander's vocal style is unique. It is atmospheric, and would clearly thrive in a massive stadium. Her range is used wisely. Since it is a break-up song, it is emotive, youthful, but clearly experienced. I tried to keep with the lyrics, but sometimes it is hard to hear.

The song starts out as a ballad, before transforming to the next phase with a Bonander going high, with a child-like voice (around the line "If I were a grown-up"), before we get to a more stadium oriented-phase. Strings enter her, adding a strong theatrical sense.

Right after this, the instrumental fades away, leaving nothing but Bonander and a crew of clappers. Soon afterward, we are thrown back into the stadium instrumental, but this break builds a sense of experimentation.

I also must mention the gorgeous backing vocals, as they make the song as great as it is. Making this a great piece of alt-pop.

Rating: 8.75/10


Image Source: Poplacara

Comments

  1. Wow! You are really the only critic to invest in these ventures! And we are just living on it. You are an example of what a true independent critic does. Finding gems and describing how insanely underrated they are. This song is amazing! I'm going to check out more of this artist! Thanks for showing this amazing piece of music no matter how small it is. It is phenomenal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks StillBangtan! Though if I am honest, I found this artist as she has been covered and acclaimed before, so not really me here. This song has hiked in views over the past week or so, so I guess I am quite late to the party (it had 150 views after like 3 days, and today is a little over a week perhaps and it has 9k views).

      I thought you would like this song, it is the alternative type you enjoy quite a bit. Glad I am correct :)

      Delete
    2. You really were on point with this. I really loved how the song evoked certain emotions. It feels amazingly performed. It is so grand.

      Delete
    3. Thanks!

      If you manage to find something else really good in her discography, do tell me.

      Some good songs of her I found:

      Quit everything and be a princess: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIgmJQIGHjM

      Annie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydrssgZKHOg

      Backseat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2jzjhZt0aE

      But my favorite is still this song.

      Delete

Post a Comment