Top 15 Songs of 2021 So Far


Top 15 Songs of 2021 So Far

As we are now halfway through the year, I think it around the time I release my mid-year list. I will have my risers and fallers, come out in a few days. 2021 has been a solid year so far. I think it has been weaker than 2020, but that is probably due to 2020's solid rock line-up. If anything, 2021 is more consistent than 2020, and that is great. That said, my top 15 (unranked, alphabetical) are no slouches, many of them growers, many of them strong. I could not choose 10 as initially hoped, so I went with 15! I also believe that my future song of the year is on this list. It will be interesting to see if it will be topped.


Honorable Mentions:

ALI - Fight Dub Club

MARINA - Ancient Dreams in a Modern Land

N.Flying - Moonshot

One Ok Rock - Renegades

ONEWE - Veronica

P1Harmony - Scared

SHINee - Atlantis

SHINee - Kind

SixTONES - Boku Ga Boku Janai Mitai Da

Song Ga-In - Dream


BTOB - Finale (Show and Prove)

A dramatic finale to end BTOB's excellent run on Kingdom, Show and Prove hits like an emotional sledgehammer, with blitz-fire raps, amazing dual high-notes, and gorgeous and orchestral strings. The fact that it did not win is one of 2021's greatest losses so far.


Fantastics - Play Back

Play Back gets more addictive with each listen. My whole family is a massive fan of this song, and I don't blame them. The '80s and new wave-Esque instruments are assisted with lighthearted vocals, creating a youthful feel. 

Also, there was no MV. However, there is a video of Sekai dancing, enjoy it.


Hikaru Utada - One Last Kiss

On first listen, One Last Kiss sounds too subtle. The build is slow, and the payoff itself is subtle, with the song built off only the synth pad and Hikaru's voice. On subsequent listens, however, those very things make the song so memorable. The pure emotion drives the song, with the lack of diversions just improving it. Hikaru is one of Japan's premier singers, and this is one of her best in recent memory.


IU - Lilac

IU has always been an evolving artist, adapting trends towards her artistry and story. Lilac is no exception, adapting the city pop track for a chic and retro tune. The real deal here is the clever lyrics, heartbreaking yet hopeful.


Kami wa Saikaro wo Furanai - Meguru Meguru

An ad-song for Tik Tok, Meguru Meguru is surprisingly solid, with a surging melody reminiscent of last year's Winding Road by M!LK. It blends together with just the right amount of warmth.


N.Flying - Flashback

A thundering ballad, Flashback stands as one of N.Flying's best moments yet. From Hwesung's high note at the end of each chorus, to the stunning strings. It paints N.Flying as the Korean counterpart to Higedan.


ONEWE - Rain to Be

From its harrowing MV to its stirring yet simple instrumental, Rain to Be is all about the atmosphere. Dark and brooding, it is melodic and hopeful at the same time. From this balance, this wonder is born.


ONF - Beautiful Beautiful

ONF had high expectations for their February comeback, and they surpassed all of them. One of the most beloved songs overall this year, Beautiful Beautiful gets even better when you are on the road next to the sea, with the windows wide open.


Rolling Quartz - Blaze

An invigorating debut, indie rock band Rolling Quartz did what several acts have threatened to do since Dreamcatcher, be an all-female Korean rock, and self-producing at the same time. From the harmonization in the pre-chorus to the surging chorus, Blaze is a song that never stops, and for its own good.


Shaun - Closed Ending

Calling Closed Ending ambitious would be a stretch. Several songs have done the same acoustic ballad style, and the melody is reminiscent of Shaun's very own Way Back Home. That said, it is oddly heartwarming, with emotional energy. More than anything, it feels like a satisfying conclusion to anything. I have ended several days with this song.


SHINee - I Really Want You

Despite being released in February, I Really Want You has soundtracked my summer so far. The breezy and brassy production is perfect for the woods and the beaches, while the thundering chorus is always around the corner, uniting the whole piece.


Shinsei Kamattechan - My War

From moment one, My War does not pretend to be anything else. It is a vivid portrait of a hellish landscape, hopeless and dreamless. The lyrics, a reflection on war, clearly about PTSD, are aided by a stirring opera of instruments, and a choir at legendary height.


Shreya and Soumyadeep Ghoshal - Angana Morey

Angana Morey is not perfect. Some instrumental breaks are unexpected, and it is a rehash of Indian classical music. However, its sense of familiarity allow it to become a playground for Shreya to finally show what a capable vocalist she is.


Spyair - Wadachi

Wadachi is the direct antithesis of My War, surging and hopeful. The stirring strings and guitar are assisted by Ike's gritty but anthemic vocals. The song never gives up and tells me to do the same. Each time the surging chorus returns, a small smile pops up on the side of my face.


Wang Kai and Zhou Shen - Harmony of Light and Dust

A brief song, barely over two minutes. Harmony of Light and Dust is a stirring ballad. It stars the actor and singer come together for an emotional yet simple song. Wang Kai sings deep, while Zhou Shen harmonizes at the other end.

Comments

  1. A very well-rounded list as I expected! Yes, I was correct that Beautiful Beautiful and Rain to be will be here. With that said, I actually prefer this setup as to ranking songs. I just think it is unfair but then again I am also a proponent of competition which is the direct antithesis of everything I support lol.

    Also, can I apologize to BTOB. I forgot to include them in my SOTY predictions. I just believe they can shock everyone with that nomination. That said, they are obvious winners of the Critics' Circle for best performance. I really forgot about BTOB I should be punished. The Rolling Quartz push on your behalf is actually working and it kept them afloat for BNA and the Debut categories. They really have a shot at Rock.

    The fiercest missing piece is Butter but I can't blame you since I also have been done with looping it personally, I really liked that song though. My War vs. Butter vs. Beautiful Beautiful. That is just the theme of this year's critics' pick.

    Now we shall see what awaits for the Summer Music Awards... Thanks for this list! It really is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the praise!

      Yeah, your predictions are pretty good! I guess that I am a little predictable at times haha.

      "I should be punished" is quite overdramatic lol. But yeah, that performance is amazing.

      Butter is still not for me. In fact, I think it is a bit of a faller for me. Nonetheless, I am glad so many love it.

      Delete

Post a Comment