Review: SHINee - Atlantis

 

Review: SHINee - Atlantis

SHINee's Don't Call Me was a pretty fantastic album, but I felt that the title track (one of my favorite songs from the album) stood out like a sore thumb. A more classic SHINee song with modern updates would have worked well. I was not the only one to voice that opinion, nearly all the commentators and reviewers who reviewed the album pointed that out.

Anyway, SM Entertainment seems to have heard that and came back with the classic yet revisionist Atlantis. Its lyrics are about love using the ocean as a metaphor, with a mix of good and bad similies, more good than bad, but they mostly cancel each other out. Instantly, the verses set an ambitious soundscape instantly, opening with a surfing guitar and Taemin's excellent vocals. By this point, all members of SHINee are excellent vocalists, and Taemin, Key, and Onew, trading lines build a strong vibe. Weaker vocalists would leave this segment lacking, for it relies heavily on performance.

Strings and a clapping production come in for the pre-chorus. It has a sweeping, oceanic feel, which was certainly intended. It makes this section very fresh, and 'fresh' is a word I wish I could use more in music commentary.

Then comes the chorus. It has a throbbing electronic funk beat, thriving on lowering vocal repetition. The descending vocal notes lack melody and are not exactly unique (SF9 did basically the same thing with deep house with their 2020 hit Good Guy). In a way, the verses seem to be mostly written by Yoo Young-Jin (or at least follow his signature style) while the chorus's electronic beat is more traditionally used by his co-producer IMLAY. Still, Young-Jin's vocal layering ability comes in and the chorus subtly redeems itself through repetition of its title line.

The second verse employs a more modern rap break from Minho. While I certainly would wish for a more smooth rap break, and less aggressive synths for as smooth of a song like this, but Minho still provides a strong performance. I would also like to point out Key's vocal performance here. For someone traditionally considered a rapper, seeing his vocal evolution slowly has been incredible.

The pre-chorus concludes everything in the track. Onew's high-note my be one of this year's most chilling musical moments, while the towering chorus hits harder than it ever did so far. At the same time, the instrumentation peaks.

I can't call Atlantis perfect, it has a few flaws, and several great points too. It is surprisingly jam-packed with larger-than-life moments for a song less than 3 minutes, and that is part of its charm. Despite its flaws, I am certain Atlantis will age excellently, for even the weaker moments help build a sailing-worthy epic.

Rating: 9/10


Image Source: Kbopped

Comments

  1. What a great, detailed review! I'm immensely biased but Onew was really doing the absolute most this time around and I'm glad they're letting him lead songs again, although Key is really getting more and more spotlight as he should.

    Definitely flawed but also it's SHINee so they make it work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the praise of the review!

      Yeah, I am definitely not Onew biased, but this was his song. Key also did great, and I am glad he is not tucked into a single line or two now.

      That final sentence fully summarizes my thoughts on the song!

      Delete
  2. Well! I'm glad you love this song. As I expected, it didn't have any power plays in my listening. OnlyOneOf just continues to obliterate my playlist. Understandable since I really am a lyOn. Atlantis will be a very strong contender and SHINee is here to stay. Good thing that this still happened in 2021. SHINee is well loved and well respected as always, love them always.

    Anyway, my Part 5 of the 100 K-Pop songs of all-time is updated and it no longer contains the draft that was accidentally posted. I'm so sorry for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of surprised you don't like this, but fully understand why, it is a bit flawed. Still love it here though! On the other hand, I don't like the OnlyOneOf song, must be me being an older K-Pop fan!

      No worries on the draft. Not sure if you or anyone else ever caught it, but I have published my fair share of drafts before removing them :)

      Delete
    2. Well, I also don't know why I can't seem to hit play on SHINee's new song. Unlike Don't Call Me, Heart Attack and their album. Atlantis is a bit weird, I just don't know why my ears are acting like this. Well, 8.5 isn't a bad song, it's just that personally I couldn't go into it. I'm still sure though Atlantis will be in my Top 10.

      I was also shocked that both you guys seem to be into it. I just wasn't feeling it. I have no idea, why. Maybe just personal biases controlling it. But I just think Atlantis isn't the best SHINee song, I always compare their material to Sherlock and sometimes it doesn't sit well with me.

      Delete
    3. Also, I think Area is slightly better than Atlantis since Minho wrote the song. It also reminds me of classic SHINee like the vocal delivery. Although the instrumentation is very plain and simple, the vocal delivery makes it ascend to another level. The bridge is interesting. 9

      Delete
    4. Weirdly enough, I am not yet into either of the new b-sides. That is why I think I might wait a day or two before reviewing them.

      In no way is Atlantis near SHINee's best material, I know the moment I compare it to their old songs it will falter. Still, it succeeds in the moment.

      Delete

Post a Comment