May Multi Songs Review (Katy Perry, Laura Mvula, Agnes, GWSN, MARINA, The Rampage)


May Mini Song Reviews (Katy Perry, Laura Mvula, Agnes, GWSN, MARINA, The Rampage)



I'll have some upcoming reviews (hopefully) from May over the next few days, but I'd like to get this post will all the songs I missed or will miss out of the way.


Katy Perry - Electric

Katy Perry and Pokemon, two very different aspects of my childhood, now combined. I have basically played all Pokemon games, and Firework was one of my favorite songs at one point. Electric's best part is its early 2010s chorus, and its throbbing beat. The rest of the song is a little throwaway, but strong nonetheless.

Rating: 7.5/10


Laura Mvula - Got Me

Laura Mvula's new pre-release single is a full-on Michael Jackson tribute. The Way You Make Me Feel and Leave Me Alone are especially reminiscent of this song. That said, Got Me gets a little repetitive near the end, thus weakening it. At least the synth beat is strong.

Rating: 8.25/10


Agnes - 24 Hours

A dark and hypnotic 80's-esque track. Agnes provides an excellent retro dance track. The production is golden, even if the vocal hooks could use a bit of polishing. The chorus is especially strong, while the chugging beat is almost cyberpunk. A stronger climax would set this right into the stratosphere, but it is good nonetheless.

Rating: 8.5/10


GWSN - I Can't Breathe

GWSN's new album has a really strong b-side in the slow and sinister I Can't Breathe, building up slowly. The EDM drop chorus is reminiscent of Dreamcatcher's Poison Love, even if it is weaker. E I E I O is another album highlight, and equally as good. Some of the hooks here are low and masculine, creating a dark contrast.

Rating: 8.25/10


MARINA - Ancient Dreams in a Modern Land

Dark and chic retro seems to be the theme for this multi song segment. The hook and go-break-the-barrier lyrics turn this song into its own mini anthem for itself. Lyrically, I think it is based on Eastern philosophy, though through a bit of a western lens. I am not sure what to think of that, though I appreciate the ambition. Musically, a second repetition of the chorus would improve this even further.

Rating: 8.75/10


The Rampage - Call of Justice

The Rampage pulls in a whole lot of theatrical bombast for their Battle of Tokyo series. High notes, guitars, and strings all build a sense of urgency which is classic to J-Pop. It is a classic Exile styles, and Rampage nails it impressively.

Rating: 8.75/10





Other Strong Songs this Month

Galantis, David Guetta, and Little Mix - Heartbreak Anthem

Afrojack and David Guetta - Hero

Martin Garrix ft. Bono and the Edge - We are the People

GWSN - Like It Hot / E I E I O

Everglow - First

Gaho - Rush Hour

Fantastics - Perfect Magic

King & Prince - Beating Hearts

Rocket Punch - Ring Ring

Blitzers - Breathe Again

Olivia Rodrigo - Good For U



Image Source: The Grape Juice

Comments

  1. Haven’t heard most of the songs here except for Good 4 U, First, and Ring Ring. I like the the retro sound of Ring Ring. Very catchy. First is... interesting. I like some parts, but I don’t like some other parts. Quite conflicted on it. Good 4 U is pretty good too. The first Rodrigo song I actually enjoy. Though, I cringe when hearing the Billie Eilish harmoning sound at the beginning of the track.

    Also, I never thought I would see a Katy Perry and Pokémon crossover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Ring Ring in theory, but the high-pitched vocals really hurt it overall for me. A IU or Dua Lipa style vocal performance would make it work.

      Good 4 U is pretty fine, I actually prefer Driver's License though.

      Pokemon x Katy Perry is something I also never expected. Now all that I hope is the upcoming Diamond and earl remakes are great. Also, so hyped for the Arceus game. But once again, I went off-topic.

      Delete
  2. I haven't listened to anything by Olivia Rodrigo because I only heard from her on social media, but I will make sure to check her music out soon.

    24 Hours is great! Glad you liked Ring Ring too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out her Driver's License, it is her best.

      24 Hours is really, really good. Europe has had a pretty great year musically.

      Delete
  3. THAT MARINA SONG SLAPS. I mean it was very eerily clear. Probably my favorite among the songs here. good 4 u is great too. A very well picked bunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy it! I love MARINA's song, so deep and intriguing, and a true piece of art-pop. I'd now give it at least a 9.

      Good 4 U is also pretty solid.

      Delete
    2. blueraspberrysyrupJune 2, 2021 at 3:57 PM

      Oooh that has now inspired me to make a deep dive back into her music because it's been YEARS. Also good 4 u is pretty decent but I find her previous title tracks to be stronger

      Delete
    3. Really need to dive into MARINA's old material from the Diamonds era. I have heard lots of recommendations, and the new song is really good.

      Yeah, Good 4 U is good, but I much more on team Drivers' License.

      Delete

Post a Comment