Review: Golden Child's 'Replay' is energetic but surprisingly amelodic


Review: Golden Child's 'Replay' is energetic but surprisingly amelodic

"Even down a member, Golden Child seize the opportunity and drive the song forward with intensity and panache." - The Bias List

"Woollim isn’t the best when it comes to promoting they know how to choose a song and Replay does everything right." - Hallyu Reviews

"I bet I will get obsessed with this song." - Deforested Music (in a Discord server)

"By the time the grungy guitar comes in lead the track during its climax, I’m already completely sold by what is probably 2022’s first real showstopper." - Kbopped

"I just found “Replay” almost impossible to not at least bounce along to" - Asian Junkie

So... the K-Pop review blogosphere has a few artists we love, and Golden Child is definitely one of them. It started with The Bias List and has soon spread across the entire K-Pop blogging community, giving Golden Child a small but devoted segment of the K-Pop community as fans. I for one, count myself among the group's fans. However, I truly began to appreciate the boy band with their turn to darker and more emotive themes with the BLSSD era. While many within the blogosphere view Genie and DamDamDi as the group's peak songs, I will always prefer the likes of Lucid Dream and Burn It. This has created different expectations for what makes a good Golden Child track. While most disliked DDARA and Without You, I count them among the group's very best offerings. We mostly agree that Rat-Tat-Tat was a mistake though!

While we still mostly agree if a song is good, I and others would certainly disagree on their top songs, even if the community has influenced younger me's decisions (looking at you, overrated Pump It Up review, how is the song a 9?) The group's latest single, Replay, has received rave reviews from the community. I appreciate it, but it is certainly not one of the group's best efforts.

Golden Child have once again switched their styling and sound, moving towards the futuristic funky electropop of MIRAE's debut. It is instantly ambitious in style and structure, opening with the chorus and powering with a stylistic concept. Part of this energy comes down to the relatively new production team in Fascinador, who previously were best known for their work with Kim Woo Seok's solo material. I love it when new songwriters and producers enter and grow, and this is a great example.

Replay's production is really sharp, with a crunchy edge the group has not provided since Lucid Dream, two years ago. From the clicking percussion to the crunchy electronics, to the full-fledged rock riffs, Replay is big and bold. It hardly gives a moment to breathe, with over-the-top drama at the heart of its every moment. Even the bold vocal moments add a sense of propulsion and force.

Unfortunately, the immaculate production leaves little room for melody. I often have a rule for judging a song's melody, I call it the acoustic test, "Would you listen to this song if it just was the main melody played on a piano or acoustic guitar?" Replay mostly fails this test, with the exception of the punching the chorus. Part of this is due to the repetitive sonic structure, there is no room for the song to explore new melodic routes, or try to add some real emotion. Some melodic twists could help the song, but there is no such twist strong enough. It leaves Replay a little empty.

That is not to say Replay is a bad song, the phenomenal vocals and production make the song a fantastic listen. But without a strong melody, the song cannot reach massive heights. Nonetheless, the production is worth high acclaim.

Rating: 8.25/10

Purchase Golden Child's Replay, and its accompanying album, Aura, right here!


Image Source: The Bias List

Comments

  1. I am a forever avid Lucid Dream and DDara enthusiast!✋️

    I absolutely love this song but I completely get why you feel the way you do. Maybe time will make it a more enjoyable listen for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you guys in the comments like Lucid Dream and DDARA.

      I definitely hope the song grows on me with time. Unfortunately, that has yet to happen :(

      Delete
  2. I like the way you analyze each song, and you do not follow what is popular vote, you tell it as it is. I enjoy listening to songs that makes me happy and some songs do that while other even catchy and upbeat music, do not make happy listening. I trust your analysis and see what you are saying. fun song, but it could have been better. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cooking Diva! My initial posts were certainly biased on what was popular, but I think I have improved since then. Glad you agree with my points on this review!

      Delete
  3. I didn't expect to get mentioned here. Thanks for that 108Ent! I agree with most of what you said. Truly your opinion being much more critical is highly appreciated (as I remember my young self lol). Truth be told when I was listening for the first time, I wasn't convinced with the lackadaisical third act of the song, or the latter part of it. The execution was just unabashedly unfullfilling.

    On the acoustic test, I would argue that it actually has melody (and complexity I didn't expect), what I agree though is that the composition fell apart, and that is on the latter part of the song. I just felt they had a big difficulty closing the song. Now, listen to this piano cover and I think you will note that the thing feels great on piano (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXxL3buNzAg). So yeah, just a little opposing statement on that one.

    Nonetheless all of this, I do agree with your conclusion. I think this song was technical, and definitely more neotraditionalist in its approach, the lack of a strong melodical composition really was what hurt its way in the end. My score was an A- on the song so yeah. Great review!

    (I find Pump It Up boring, I mean it was nominated at one point, I see that as a mistake.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for making a counterpoint, StillBangtan! It always is appreciated :)

      That cover of Replay is earnestly endearing, I actually enjoy it better than the main song, thanks for sharing! That said, I feel the fact that it was a full piano piece rather than just a simple melody helped it, and it still sounded a bit like a leftover from one of the early Sonic games. That is fine, but it still is not perfect.

      Anyway, glad to find someone else in the used-to-like-Pump-It-Up-but-not-anymore school of thought.

      Delete
  4. Eyyy Lucid Dream fans here! The production in that one is very :pinchedfingers:

    Cookie Diva said this best: I find it admirable that you say it as it is while you justify the things you like and/or dislike.
    It's easy to fall into the trap of being persuaded immediately INSTEAD of being open to other perspectives and then make your own judgement from there. That's something I always struggle with haha.
    I enjoyed reading this!

    Also uhh, this post is tagged with SM. Accident?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucid Dream fans unite!

      Yeah, totally agree with your points on having your own judgment, 100% agree.

      Actually, I purposefully tagged it with SM. Woolim is owned by Sm via a subsidiary. Since I tagged RBW in the WM posts, I only felt fair to do it here as well.

      Delete
    2. Ohh ok, that makes sense!

      Unrelated to Golcha but are you a Sonic fan (I saw your response to Deforested when you briefly mentioned about early Sonic music) 👀

      Delete
    3. Well, I will always be more of a Mario guy than a Sonic, but the original Sonic games (1, 2, CD, yet to play 3) are really iconic for a reason. Awesome soundtracks, tight level-design, and cool gameplay. I also like Generations and Mania quite a lot too. I wouldn't count myself as a hardcore fan, but I certainly enjoy and appreciate it for its impact in gaming. Are you a Sonic fan, Haruko?

      (Sonic 06 is still terrible though)

      Delete
    4. That's fair Mario fan! The only game I've played is Colours but I'm aware of the Sonic games' varied quality - gameplay and plot-wise lol. Fingers crossed Sonic Frontiers will break the 'bad game' curse. And dang you've played a lot of the Sonic games! I've heard lots of good things about Mania.

      Yessir I am a Sonic fan! Younger me became a fan after seeing the gorgeous intro of Sonic Unleashed. I just remembered the series a few months ago when I saw Snapcube's real-time fandubs to kill time. I'm not a hardcore fan as well but I've stayed for the music, voice acting, and (unironically) memes.

      Prior to the live-action movies' success being a Sonic fan = furry. So it was hard to talk about it without getting made fun of when I was younger (children can be ruthless man...). Nowadays Sonic's reputation has improved to the point people were hype for the live action sequel... is such a weird phenomen.

      Lol the infamous Sonic 06.
      Shame on how the game became a buggy mess + not a great plot overall when it had a lot of great story ideas (past, present, future themes) and OST bangers (i.e His World, Dreams of an Absolution). Sonic never misses with their music

      Delete
    5. Colours was a pretty decent one too, totally forgot it, thanks for the reminder!

      Mania is a good game, but golly is it hard. Or maybe I am just bad at video games lol.

      Kids are often ruthless, seriously this is where so many childhood problems come from. I think we all got made fun of, I got made fun for enjoying K-Pop, lol! Now, I just sound like one of those "Back in my day" people for the genre lol.

      Seriously, the Sonic memes are my lifeblood this year. Jehtt is my dub-er of choice, his memes and humor is earnestly great (that GIF argument video is probably my favorite video of the year lol): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrk8sqZfsgI

      Delete
    6. Agree with there on the source of childhood problems :,)
      Time is so strange when you see the things that are 'trendy' now compared to before. Back in our days-

      Ohh Jehtt! Forgot how iconic and funny that GIF video was. Love it when jokes make fun of the English language. Happy to see the guy thrive with his voice (meme) work.

      (Also help not half of this comment section being about Sonic and nothing to do with Golcha 😭)

      Delete
    7. That Jehtt video is hillarious. His channel is filled with songs by this lol.

      I don't mind the Sonic diversion, I love comment-section discussions and rants, they are always so fun!

      Delete

Post a Comment