Kingdom: Legendary War Singles Review

 

Kingdom: Legendary War Singles Review

So, I guess I need to tell. I am not going to continue the Kingdom monthly recap series. I do plan on doing a final overall recap later, once the final performances come, though. Till then, I am going to review all the singles from the competition. I will also rank them.


6. iKON - At Ease

iKON still has their free-flowing hip-hop energy but lacks B.I as a producer. This is hurting the group quite a bit, as this energy is going to waste. At Ease is marred by heavy autotune, and the lack of any true song, leading to an ultimately underwhelming drop for the central refrain. The verses and pre-chorus occasionally show a spark, but nothing else really happens.

Rating: 4.75/10


5. SF9 - Believer


The opening beats and synths of Believer are great. The song soon settles for a mid-tempo and sensual groove, building on their Kingdom growth. Unfortunately, the song soon becomes extremely forgettable, opting for some well-worn trends, and a lethargic instrumental. The members do their best, but it can't save the song.

Rating: 6.5/10


4. ATEEZ - The Real


The Real has some great moments, such as the pre-chorus which reminds me of EXO's Eternal Kiss. Unfortunately, the rest of the song comes off as woefully dated, trying to go for that middle eastern sound, bordering on cultural appropriation, without actually using those rhythms for anything too good. Thankfully, Mingi's grand return in the second verse is excellent and allows for a much better appreciation of the rest of the verse.

Rating: 7.25/10


3. Stray Kids - Wolfgang

So, Wolfgang has nothing to do with Mozart, and instead is a cheesy trap track, relying a whole lot on posturing and shouting. But as any fan of Stray Kids would tell you, those two factors are Stray Kids specialty. While I certainly prefer their more melodic and experimental work, they manage to turn this mess of a tune into something strong due to an excellent arrangement, led by vocal choirs, orchestral strings, and a church organ.

Rating: 7.5/10


2. The Boyz - Kingdom Come

The Boyz spent most of Kingdom trying to go for a western fantasy sound, so it is ironic that they finally succeed at it with their finale song. Kingdom Come is far from perfect, but its orchestral arrangement and simple melody allow for that ornate sophistication that was their aim from moment one. I can just imagine this song's performance and am certainly excited about it. It could have gone even bigger and exploded during the climax. But then again, it is doing pretty well anyway.

Rating: 8/10


1. BTOB - Finale (Show and Prove)

Regardless of who wins the show in the end, my personal winners will be BTOB. Down to 4 members for the show due to military hiatuses and controversies, they showed that although they are the most senior group, they still have the guts to go in their own way, without following the trend. The opening rap verse is fire, and even as a more vocally focused group, they out-rap everyone else. This leads to the amazing and colossal chorus. I wish it went slightly bigger, but in no way is it forgettable, and it gets stronger each and every repetition.

Show and Prove is not the sound of a desperate group, clinging onto its past fame, but rather that of a group telling its peak is yet to come. I am not sure how long it will last in my playlist, but I will enjoy it each and every time.

Rating: 8.75/10


Image Source: The Bias List

Comments

  1. Another person who doesn't hate Wolfgang? Love to see that lol! I felt so alone. Its obviously not the best from the show or by SKZ but it is weirdly fun.

    That being said, I love the top 2, Kingdom Come actually reminded me a bit of EXO's bsides. Very excited for performances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wolfgang's orchestral arrangement makes it really fun. While it is not majestic, I wish more people would embrace its inherent goofiness.

      Hmm, Kingdom Come would fit into EXO's earlier albums quite easily, seeing it performed will be a joy!

      Delete
  2. Well, I haven't listened to these songs. But a review will come sooner. I just wished I was free this time of the year. Honestly, it is so tiring, but I am not expecting too much from Mnet themselves. The scores also sound so bad. So I might not really like some of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year has been really busy for me too.

      If you can't hear all of them, that is fine. Just check out Show and Prove, it is pretty great.

      Delete

Post a Comment