Review: P1Harmony - Scared

 

Review: P1Harmony - Scared

The basic roadmap for K-Pop boy bands:

1. Debut with edgy, hip-hop, cool guy, concept which is cheesily done and cringe.

2. Since it fails to instantly turn you into BTS, release a cutesy fun song. Often with mixed results.

3. Since it fails, release a summer or spring song. Or sentimental wannabe ballad.

4. Disband

That was mean, but it is hard to doubt that. When P1Harmony debuted late last year, I was not impressed. It was step one described to a T, and I was actually surprised some people liked it. Thus, I was expecting their follow-up to be step two. Thankfully, FNC and the producers trusted the boys (and their moderate success) to continue on the hip-hop path, and they instantly have reaped results.

I realize that Scared has been receiving a mixed reception online, with several people questioning the instrumental, especially. To me, this is one of the song's biggest successes, actually. It keeps you on your feet while setting the song up as an experimental throwback. It is noisy and messy, but at the same time, it feels organic and natural.

In a way, the song's basic experimental structure reminds me of SB19's What?, although the SB19 song was slightly more experimental. What? has grown on me massively since release (probably at least a high 8 now), and it allows me to enjoy Scared slightly better. Both are similar lyrically, though from the translations I think What? is slightly more clever, using strong similes and metaphors to show self-pride.

On the other hand, Scared never really switches genre abruptly, not relying too much on shock value. This allows it to be a much smoother listen. The hip-hop verses fade into the melodic pre-chorus, which allows the vocalists to show a strong dose of potential before the chorus.

The chorus is actually one of my favorite moments throughout the whole song. It has a free-flowing groove, and at the same time allows the vocal hook in the second half, keeping things alive. It is chaotic, but that works in a song like this.

A more solid bridge would have helped, but I can really see this song become a favorite of mine. It has some great free-flowing energy and a strong dose of attitude. I actually am strongly reminded of early BTS, with their hip-hop sound. A.C.E for a while seemed like they'd fill that niche back in 2019, but moved onto more experimental and ambitious material. This leaves this idol boy band hole empty. Scared sounds like the best 2013 BTS song that never was, and I am now excited to see where the group goes next.

Rating: 9/10


Image Source: Danmee

Comments

  1. Now! The praise has been revealed! I love how you complemented this song as I failed to do so. FNC has been very haywire for me. This song whilst being Firetruck (being the best hip-hop from non independent music) really put me into thinking. This song now might really be something to look out to in my charts. I mean really. Just watch. As I said, I may not like the song objectively for what it actually stands and to be honest this song is toxic positivity for me philosophically but it still stands as a great grower.

    We'll see how this comes but so far I appreciate the love and how you contrasted me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually has not grown on me at all lol, I enjoyed it at first listen. Something about its energy and twists instantly appealed to me.

      It would be great to see this on your charts, wonder how high it will make it 🤔

      Delete
  2. This song is just great! I love the full-bodied group, that ear-catching rhythm and I love the chorus. The choreography buoys the song's carefree appeal and that tight, dramatic vocal flourish is well-placed.

    April has already delivered in so many classics and my Top Song of the Month is looking tight. Now can ONF hit us in the head already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the choreo for this song, so amazing!

      Really, 2021 as a whole has given several modern K-Pop classics, really excited to see how they age.

      And ONF, so excited for Ugly Dance, can't wait till tomorrow!

      Delete
    2. We have to wait 16 hours before hearing the full thing! I am waiting for myself to be pzazzed!

      Delete
    3. I just hope it can live up to Beautiful Beautiful. Will be hard, but incredible if that happens.

      Delete
  3. So glad you like this! Honestly liking something right from the start is the best feeling :D (definitely not me with this song but I'm still glad you like it so much lol). Also, totally agree about early BTS reminiscence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that feeling when a song hits you on first listen is sooo good. Growers are great and all, but that moment when you realize that this is your first listen of an instant hit is always great! Hope this song grows for you.

      I would not be surprised if they purposely have tried to sound like early BTS. It is certainly a K-Pop void that needs filling.

      Delete

Post a Comment