Album Review: SHINee - Don't Call Me

 

Album Review: SHINee - Don't Call Me

I have already reviewed all songs in Don't Call Me. I decided to combine this into an album review for easier reading. You will notice some of the scores are updated.

Don't Call Me

A slow-burner for me, Don't Call Me blends the classic SHINee sound with trends for a great effect. The final chorus in particular is a stand-out.

Rating: 8.75/10

Heart Attack

Heart Attack would fit greatly as a b-side of the Misconceptions series of SHINee albums. It takes only a minute for the groove to fully start. The song also acts as a great showcase for SHINee's a-grade vocals. 

Rating: 8.5/10

Marry You

Marry You has an issue or two. The production is a little too trendy (and a little outdated as well), for the song to stand out. The trendy tropical beat could have been replaced by an R & B beat, and this would be my favorite song of the album. The lyrics are cringey too. Thankfully, SHINee's vocal performance is great.

Rating: 7.5/10

CØDE

The electronic EDM production goes great with the funky beat and the atmosphere. Yet unlike many modern dance tracks, CØDE never resorts to boy band cheese. Instead, it is driven by its ambition up till the strong climax. When I say I want SHINee back, this, especially the chorus, what I mean.

Rating: 9/10

I Really Want You

This is the SHINee we all know and love, coming back at full strength. After a few months of being behind utterly underwhelming songs, Ryan S. Jhun finally gets his act together. And of course, there is no discounting SHINee's performance. It feels so good to hear actual voices in pop music once again. Taemin, Onew, Key, Minho, all are solid vocalists and would be the main vocalists if they were in a weaker group. This song is a joyous dream and peak SHINee.

Rating: 9.25/10

Kiss Kiss

The song thrives during its bridge. SHINee show us some classic SHINee, with a strong vocal performance. But in a strong album, this song is somewhat middling.

Rating: 7.25/10

Body Rhythm

The fun reggaeton beat ended up growing on me a lot, especially the chorus.

Rating: 8.5/10

Attention

I doubt I will come back too much to Attention. The reason for this is that Attention goes for a classic SHINee funky sound, of which there are much, much, better examples amongst the album. At least the whistle hook near the end is good.

Rating: 7.25/10

Kind

The chorus is healing. The competent vocals come together to make something special. Something hopeful. The falsettos, the dreamy piano, this is how the album should have, and how it, ended. This is the greatest SHINee ballad since Our Page. While I enjoy their dance style, if SHINee went ballad, they have shown themselves amazing enough for me to love it.

Rating: 8.75/10


Overall Score: 8.25/10*

My biggest gripes with Don't Call Me are the following. I wish it moved in a more artistic direction. I wish the members played a larger role in songwriting like they did in the Story of Light album. I wish there were more thematic connections throughout the tracks. These issues may show dents in the album, but there is no denying the quality of the songs throughout.

* Rounded score. The actual score is 8.306/10

Image Source: Deforested Music

Comments

  1. I agree with your thoughts. It is a great and good album indeed. I really wish SM would give more creative freedom to the artists. Heart Attack was the only song that aged on me well and the rest well, I moved on. I Really Want You is amazing and was surely a grower.

    I hope SHINee does well and continues to serve amazing music! They are still amazing even after 12 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heart Attack grew a bit on me too, just not enough to update the score.

      Yeah, creative freedom is something more artists could do.

      12 years already, wow! When I got into K-Pop, it was not 3 or 4 years yet. Time flies.

      Delete

Post a Comment