Review: StayC - So Bad

 

Review: StayC - So Bad

Black Eyed Pilesung is a production duo that previously worked under Shinsadong Tiger during his golden era. They have made some massive hits during the last few years for major acts such as GOT7 (If You Do), APink (Eung Eung), and of course, Twice (Fancy, Cheer Up, TT, etc.). They now have debuted a girl group under their management (their agency High-Up). StayC is this group.

StayC's debut single 'So Bad' is basically a hyperactive version of the current retro synth trend. The BPM is way higher than most groups normally do, and the song seems to have an issue with slowing down. This in the end defines the song, both in a good and bad way.

The verses sound like a quicker version of Twice verses. The only really stand out here is when some of the vocalists go for a lower voice than most modern K-Pop girl groups don't go to. Before you know it though, we are in the chorus.

The chorus is short and even more hyper. The vocals are no longer varied, and near a shrill at times. This is a tad annoying because they have shown throughout they have a better vocal range than this. But the hyperactive speed means you do not even get a second to digest the track. This helps, as the hooks just get in your head and leave before they get annoying.

In the end, StayC's debut is fine, but it does not give them the chance to show their potential. I hope they get a refined follow-up where they and Black Eyed Pilesung can truly show some winning skill.

Rating: 7.75/10


Image Source: K-Pop Wiki

Comments

  1. Funny as it may seem but I kinda like the song and the record, but the same as with you, what I didn't like was the performance/execution of it all. From the vocal/dance/sung it didn't push me enough. But the song is good in my critique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, I saw your review. I think I am the odd one out for this song, as I know many loved it. I do not hate it, but I am not going nuts over it. It does make me curious for the future, which is the main goal of a debut.

      On that note, I am looking forward quite a bit for aespa's future releases, mostly due to Ningning's solid vocals. As long as SM let Yoo Young-Jin continue to write their tracks, I think they are in good hands.

      Delete
    2. Yes, although Yoo Youngjin didn't do well last time. My trust isn't also backing down yet. I'll look forward to their comeback!

      Delete
    3. True, Yoo Young-Jin is one of those producers with such a legacy, that you can discount his bad stuff often. They only come once in a while, but boy do they leave a legacy!

      Delete
  2. I was shocked to read that even Nick panned the new Resonance from NCT. TBH, it doesn't even deserve a 7.5. It should've been a 5 or probably lower. I hate how poorly executed the mashup, I didn't even thought it would be a mashup, and the intro was a bloodbath to my ears. NCT deserves better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you really did not like it.

      While I did not go crazy over it, I kind of enjoyed its weird and unpredictable nature, though a bit of polish would not hurt :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah I agree, I do have some sort of irritation for SM in my 2020 taste. This was just not it. I want the old SM back. Can SM still do Back Door/Favorite Boys/New World or maybe ON but better again?

      Delete
    3. Also I loved RIDIN (94/100), and PUNCH (92/100) because they were very cohesive and very achieving of something grand. Resonance is just non-listenable for me. I laughed at them when they performed it at 2020 MAMA. It was very ugh...

      Delete
    4. True, I loved those two songs, particularly Punch was excellent :)

      Delete
    5. Ya, though I enjoyed their 2020 material, old SM is the best SM music wise.

      Delete

Post a Comment