Review: TXT - LO$ER=L♡VER


Review: TXT - LO$ER=L♡VER

In 2019, I and many others were worried that TXT would be nothing other than a cash-in and build for HYBE (then Big Hit) and that they'd forever chase after BTS. 2 years later, and I can gladly proclaim I was wrong. In fact, for the last two years, TXT have arguably been more consistent musically and conceptually than BTS. From emotional ballads such as Magic Island and Nap of a Star, to pop beats such as Your Light, Everlasting Shine, No Rules, to rock anthems such as Ghosting and 0X1=Lovesong (I Know I Love You)

Let us take a minute to talk about Lovesong and No Rules. While Dear Sputnik was quickly forgotten by me, these two songs from TXT's latest album have become some of my favorites already. I Know I Love You, in particular, has becoming a defining single of modern teenage rebellion. Now, for the repackaged album, Loser=Lover attempts to continue this story of the relationship between freedom and youth.

Before I talk about the actual song, I need to address two things. The first are the f-bombs sprinkled through the song. I know many really enjoy them, but I am not one of them. TXT's target demographic are teens, and while the swearing works conceptually, I feel that it was not needed. For people like me, who personally do not like swearing, our musical options are slowly but surely shrinking. Thus, for my sanity, I am reviewing it with a clean version I found online.

The second thing is the MV. The Music Video is brilliant. It perfectly captures the rebellious nature of youth, with heavy dramatization. In a way, it is what BTS' Run wanted to be visually. The angst here is clear, from Kais troubled relation with his boss to the car going off the cliff, the MV captures the drama that youth brings.

Musically, Loser=Lover is more resetrained than many other TXT songs. It plays off the angsty rock of I Know I Love You, but never explodes with peaks and valleys like the latter song did. Instead, it chooses to subtly build the drama, without never bulling togethr for any musical peaks.

The pre-chorus is a particularly highlight. The percussion from I Know I Love You returns, with vocal processing creating a feeling of increasing tension. In contrast, the chorus pulls back for a slow and melodic hook. The chorus is actually quite incredible, capturing the dull mundanity that often marrs youth and their lives. The vocals are strong, with each member providing something different.

If there is one real issue with Loser=Lover, it are the questionable lyrics. I talked about the swearing before, but the issue extends beyond this. Conceptually, the lyrics are strong, but TXT's gen-z phrasing, for the first time yet, comes off as forced rather than natural. In previous songs, the trendy phrases and English lines added to the theme, but "Lover with a dollar sign, is a loser" fails to capture the rebellious and anti-monetary spirit of the song.

Nonetheless, Loser=Lover is a solid addition into TXT's exploration of youth. Questionable lyrics aside, it adds to a burgeoning and strong discography.

Rating: 8.5/10


Comments

  1. KH/BlueraspberrysyrupAugust 23, 2021 at 1:42 AM

    I agree with you especially on the pre-chorus part. To be honest, as a MOA, I used to think Beomgyu was the most overshadowed member of TXT up until now. His vocals in that pre-chorus are incredible and I feel sad that I'm only NOW seeing how talented he is. I didn't mind the swearing it's just that it harshly caught me off guard as it was in English instead of Korean.

    I'm about to go on a road trip in a few days, so a slow rock/alternative song like this about teenage angst and youth is just what I need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pre-chorus is incredible! But the swearing bugs me more as I personally have always been opposed to swearing, and I feel that options for people like me are shrinking.

      This song is so good for a road trip, I am going to have to give it a try next time. Have fun!

      Delete
  2. Honestly entered this review thinking you were gonna give it a 7 at best but hello!? You know I liked it from the start already but it grew on me a lot with the music show performances, Taehyun and Beomgyu are shining a lot this era. Also the chorus somehow sounds even better live lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This song is exactly my type of song, but I am glad my score surprised someone for once lol.

      The song sounds so good live. I have heard them quite a lot, the performance is incredible!

      Delete
  3. Well. I don't like to hear unneeded swearing too (I also didn't swear in 2017, now I do that every day, how hypocritical of me lol). However, the swearing here was kind of bland so I was not really caught off guard. The whole song was just fine to me, well it had many moments in which left me thinking about myself, but I think of it as a memory lane.

    Anyway, it's a fine release. Hope for a grand comeback in 2022 where many say is g0ing to be the "TXT year". I am interested if that will be the case musically and comercially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, nonetheless, I just don't like swearing in any case, thus it still bugs me.

      The song works strong as a drive down memory lane!

      Also, it probably was by accident, but I am loving how you said 'g0ing' instead of 'going', just like in OX1=LOVESONG haha.

      Delete
    2. Well it seems that my keyboard or me, myself is glitching...

      Delete
    3. I was hoping that you would say 'gl1tching' :(

      Delete
  4. I completely agree. I usually don’t mind swearing but if it’s in English and I hear it, I don’t wanna sing along because I get upset at the vulgar. I know it’s for realistic values and the vent musicality but I for one just wish they would’ve said “freaking” like the clean version has. I want to hear the song on the album itself but the clean version isn’t on the cd and I’m upset about that. Every other artist has a clean and explicit version. Why on the ONE song I like, they don’t add the clean version? Cuz not every person out there likes cussing. You don’t have to be religious to not enjoy vulgar language 🤷🏻So it bugs me that they added it but I’ll listen to the clean version on YouTube and suffer with it missing on the album lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They keep the f-bomb on the CD? Strange, the official audio on streaming sites switches it with "freaking"/ That is a strange choice for sure. I get why they swear conceptually, but I still prefer the no f-bomb version. Your point makes sense: "You don’t have to be religious to not enjoy vulgar language." Say it out louder for those in the back!

      Delete

Post a Comment