Top 25 Rookies of 2020: 25 - 11

CD icon test.svg

 By Wikimedia, CC BY-SA 3.0Link

Top 25 Rookies of 2020: 25 - 11

Honorable Mentions

10 -1


                                                            25. StacyC

Discography Suggestion: So Bad

Image Source: Allkpop

StayC's debut was a surprising hit. It broke K-Pop girl group 2020 debut records, and was a hit with the critics too. They are produced by Black Eyed Pilesung, and thus are likely to have a sound maturation similar to Twice, just with more retro influences, and that is fine with me. I just wish that they abandon the high-pitch vocals because they certainly can sing.


                                                         24. Wonho


Discography Suggestion: Open Mind

Image Source: Rolling Stone India

The former Monsta X member was unfairly kicked out of his group due to a false drug accusation. Even though he was removed from Monsta X for this, Starship decided to keep him and let him debut solo. Wonho is a capable solo star as well as an excellent dancer. While I was a little short of positive when I gave a score to 'Open Mind', I must note that it is quite addictive and a grower. If he keeps doing funky dance tracks, he is guaranteed a strong discography.

                                                        23. GHOST9

Discography Suggestion: W.ALL

Image Source: Allkpop

GHOST9 needs to stop the lumbering sections in their songs. Those sections practically threaten to derail their career. Other than that, however, they have some excellent vocals and an ambitious sci-fi war concept. Who knows, they might become quite incredible.

                                                         22. Drippin


Discography Suggestion: Overdrive

Image Source: DetikHot

Drippin seems to be aiming for SHINee-esque funk, and boy do I love that. They are also for Woolim, an agency with deep pockets (SM owns it) and a tendency to have solid artist career maturation. So why is Drippin so low o the countdown? Because they are going for SHINee funk and are managed by Woolim. SHINee funk = sky-high expectations, and I am not sure if Drippin can get around to the more vocal-driven funk tracks that come in the path of Woolim maturation. Of course, I hope I am totally wrong in this case. Also, I am worried about Woolim managing them. Counting solo debuts, and excluding Woolim trainees in project groups, Woolim has debuted 4 artists since 2017. That is a debut a year. If you add the Produce trainees, then it rises to 1.5 debuts a year. At this extraordinary rate, how will Drippin grow and succeed?

                                                            21. Enhypen


Discography Suggestion: Given-Taken

Image Source: KpopMap

I will not lie, Enhypen had an advantage coming in the list, as I watched the I-Land show. Still, I am quite disappointed K did not make it into the group, as he was quite a standout. Their debut single was fine (though the accompanying mini-album was underwhelming), though I do wish they would abandon autotune, for the sake of my ears. I will have my eyes on them for now. I just hope this does not go downhill.

                                                     20. Bang Yedam

Discography Suggestion: Wayo

Image Source: The Bias List

Do I feel weird as I put Yedam's group Treasure as an honorable mention, and put him here as number 20? Yes. Is it absolutely deserved? Yes and yes. Bang Yedam is the definition of a pre-debut sensation, being successful in a K-Pop competition show years ago, only to boxed away by YG. He released ONE song this year ('Wayo'), but boy is that one great song. He has some really emotive vocals, and I think they have just gotten better as he aged (I mean, he probably practiced a lot during the years where YG did not let him do anything). Treasure have talented vocals as a whole (watch the vocal group version of 'Wayo'), but I feel Yedam has gotten much better usage of his potential. The only reason he is not higher, is because he is probably not going to be able to promote any material for some time.

                                                       19. YOASOBI

Discography Suggestion: Halzion

Image Source: News Yahoo JP

I have not loved this Japanese duo's music as much as some fans, but I must admit I am intrigued to see where they go next. They remind me of a bit of REOL, especially having a producer in the team. They have clearly broke out near instantly in Japan, and I am somewhat curious if they will succeed globally. They have a concept, and I hope they stick to it.

Note: It was a bad idea to think of REOL when writing this up, I just spent some time listening to their music instead of writing :)

                                                         18. Lee Suhyun

Discography Suggestion: Alien

Image Source: Channel Korea

In an ideal situation, Suhyun should top the list. Her debut single rocked, had an excellent MV, she sang a Disney OST too, it seems so ideal, especially since she is such an incredible vocalist. She was pushed to number 18 as she was not given a full album, and because her agency (YG) does not seem interested in giving her a career. When her group (Akdong Musician) is so successful, why make the members go solo? I hope I a wrong, but I got the vibe that YG was lazy in not giving her a solo debut when her brother was in the military. Sure, he is an excellent songwriter, but they could let Seungyoon or even Suhyun herself write an album, instead of just giving her a single this year.

                                                            17. Kai

Discography Suggestion: Ride or Die

Image Source: Soompi

I have been a big fan of EXO since they debuted in 2012. After members Tao, Kris, and Luhan left, Kai was the member I wanted the most to go solo. My wish was granted this year, though with a different sound than expected. Rather than go rap heavy drama like EXO's debut album (my preferred sound for Kai), he has gone for some smooth R & B. His debut title track 'Mmmh' was pretty bad, but the album had two gems in 'Ride or Die' and 'Nothing on Me'. If Kai goes for more of this sound, he might form a more mighty than expected career.

                                                        16. Bae173

Discography Suggestion: Crush On U

Image Source: 10 Asia Hankyung

Bae173 have one nonsensical name. Their debut also seemed way too kiddy for me at first glance. Still, 'Crush On U' has proven a massive earworm. The members are talented, and unit H & D has already shown the group's versatility.  If they stick with Galaktika (and fix their MV issues), I feel that they might be one rookie I suggest to a lot of people.

                                                 15. Secret Number

Discography Suggestion: Got That Boom

Image Source: Kpopmap

Secret Number is a weird one. The group really has great vocals, and seemingly have set a balance between their more trendy elements and timeless brass-based dance boom. Their singles have gotten better, and their popularity has grown. In fact, this is where the really good stuff begins. They still have to limit their trendiness at times, but other than that, they really should continue down this path.

                                                           14. Genic

Discography Suggestion: Sun Comes Up

Image Source: Tumblr

One of my favorite J-Pop artists of all time is the Co-Ed group AAA. Well, they are going into indefinite hiatus this year, and their agency is billing Genic as a replacement. I was not as big of an instant fan of their material as some have been, but 'Sun Comes Up' slowly unveiled its charms over time (as the song does on any individual listen). I guess maybe I am being harsh by putting the group so low, but maybe it is my mile-long expectations that come from the fact that they are succeeding AAA. Still, the group has the talent to do that, and that means they are ridiculously talented. I am pretty hopeful that 20 years from now, I will laugh at myself for putting them so low.

                                                        13. aespa

Discography Suggestion: Black Mamba

Image Source: Kpopmap

Though a grower, aespa's debut is far from perfect, and the AI concept still gives me a headache. So why in the whole world are they at number 13? Well, the first is that under SM entertainment, an ambitious concept and song delivery is guaranteed, and they will have access to some legendary songwriters (Yoo Young-Jin, Kenzie, LDN Noise, Hitchhiker etc.). The second is member Ningning's vocals, which are some of the best I have seen in K-Pop in a while. 'Black Mamba' is a grower, and I am pretty sure the group's future will be good.

                                                             12. JO1

Discography Suggestion: Oh-Eh-Oh

Image Source: JO1 Wiki

JO1 have been a smash hit in their debut year, charting heavy across the entirety of Japan. Their music has been a mixed bag, varying between A-grade stuff to the low Bs and high Cs. The members have already tackled a bunch of concepts, and have gained attention in Korea (I mean, they are a Produce group). Their 'Oh-Eh-Oh' still stands as one of later 2020's strongest surprises.

                                                             11. E'Last

Discography Suggestion: Swear

Image Source: Kpop Wiki

An artist who does something new is always a treat, and a quite rare one at that. E'Last have yet to really break out, but whether you liked it or not, their two singles so far grabbed attention. They have some crazy strong vocalists and rappers who basically can do anything, and they are blending trap and 2020 elements into orchestral music. 'Swear' was a slow burner for me, and I expect 'Tears of Chaos' to follow a similar trajectory.

Comments

  1. I agree on this one very well. However, Yoasobi, did well on charts but of course that doesn't count. E'LAST is really a standout debut. Secret Number higher is weird although that is your choice. Anyways i'm excited for the top 10!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I liked Secret Number more than many. I think Got That Boom's chorus plays a big part in that. E'Last have a bright future, I want to see how they go further.

      YOASOBI did do really good on the charts. I enjoyed Halzion a lot more than some of their other material. I wonder how they will evolve. I hope they can continue to do weird things and go weirder now that they are successful.

      Delete
  2. Oh also if you are interested I created a discord server! Let's talk about music there. https://discord.gg/dkwWgVGRMa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment