10/10 Song Review: Manna Dey - Laaga Chunari Mein Daag (Prod: Roshan)

Manna-dey.jpg
Link on bottom

10/10 Song Review: Manna Dey - Laaga Chunari Mein Daag (Prod: Roshan)

In the isles of the greatest and most underrated vocalists, one name is near eternally on top for me. That of Prabodh Chandra Dey, better known as Manna Dey. Manna Dey was a popular singer in Bollywood during the 50s and 60s, and despite having sung several classics, his name is not mentioned much when the discussion of best singers comes up. I blame this on the fact that several of his most incredible classics, which stand as lyrical an musical masterpieces were used as comic relief in their accompanying movies. This hurt the reputation of songs such as 'Phool Gendawa na Maaro' and 'Ek Chatur Naar'. However of all his songs, 'Laaga Chunari Mein Daag' might be his best.

Produced by Roshan, it is important to note that Laage Chunari exclusively uses Indian instruments. The lyrics are based of a writing of poet Kabir. There is almost no western influence over the song, something rare and refreshing to hear in modern times (despite it being released back in 1963, it was slowly becoming uncommon then too). Thus, Laaaga Chunari's emphasis on Sitar, Sarod, and Tabla makes it possible the song was released during the days of Mughal rule. Manna Dey's vocals shine throughout, especially in the climax.

The climax. This song has perhaps the best final two minutes in music history. Speeding up the tempo at the end of songs can end up splitting the efficiency and concept in half. This does not happen in Laaga Chunari's climax. Staying true to the concept while doing so. After briefly explaining that the song's lyrics are metaphorical to the relation between the individual and God, the song speeds up tempo and lets the Tabla speak. As with traditional Indian percussion, Manna Dey recites the notes of the Tabla at the same speed as the instruments. The song speeds up once in the final minute, the song ends on an amazing note, leaving us not with a song, but with art.

Often times, even my favorite songs can have phases were I don't like them or individually weak sections and/or slightly underwhelming lyrics, and Laaga Chunari Mein Daag might be the only song which suffers from none of these issues. And perhaps none at all.

Rating: 10/10

Link for image: By Ramesh Lalwani - <a rel="nofollow" class="external text" href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/ramesh_lalwani/3971127621/in/photostream/">Ramesh Lalwani Photo-stream</a>, CC BY 2.0, Link

Comments

  1. WOW. I AM BLOWN AWAY. I was curious on your blog piece, because you are the 1st one I have seen reviewing Bollywood music. I AM IN AWE. This is musical magnanimous and super intricate. The climax, probably one of the best climaxes in traditional music history. The main part feels that of The Beatles' legendary masterpiece, A Day In The Life. I AM IN ABSOLUTE JOY of this new song. It actually reminds me of a certain song I've heard while I was in Grade 8, the chord progression in the first part feels that of that Pakistani song. Maybe because of the instruments. BUT OH MY- Thank you for introducing this musical legendary artwork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to see someone enjoy this masterpiece! It just fulfills everything needed in music for me. I may have some more Bollywood tracks coming up for the 10/10 reviews (not too much to write home about in 2020 Bollywood, which has been utterly underwhelming). If you like this, I would suggest 'Phool Gendawa Na Maaro' which I provided the link for in the first paragraph :)

      Delete
  2. I read your post.You have told a song in this post and after looking at the songs in this post, I also remembered one song which is very close to my heart, this is that song.la bamba lyrics

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your entire post, you have explained very well about a song, Laga Chunari Mein Daag. I also listen to this song a lot. Apart from this song, I listen to many other songs, among them La Bamba song is my favorite song.This is a Spanish song but you can listen to it in English also. Here are its La Bamba Lyrics in English. Listen to this song, I know you will also like this song very much.



    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment