Top 25 Rookies of 2020: Honorable Mentions

CD icon test.svg

By Wikimedia, CC BY-SA 3.0Link

 Top 25 Rookies of 2020: Honorable Mentions

Most of my end of year lists go from January to January, but I found that artists debuting in December never really have enough time to show their skills. Thus, this list will count rookies debuting from December 1, 2019, to November 30, 2020. Re-Debuts and solo debuts count, but I decided to make a few notes on this. The Midnight Romance is mostly just No Minue, so it is excluded. Changmin made his Japanese debut in 2015, so his Korean debut this year does not count. I also excluded Refund Sisters and SSAK3, as they have disbanded. Other exceptions like this follow the same rules.

2020 was an interesting year for rookies. There were barely any interesting debuts in India, America, or the rest of the world. It was, however, an interesting year for debuts for East Asia.

The highlight was the new Japanese groups, particularly the boy groups. SixTONES, Snow Man, Deep Squad, and JO1 were arguably the biggest and best, but there were some other ones too. Avex also entered the C-Pop market with WARPs. And though the group seems to be built on rocky foundations, I am loving the sound that they are going for. YOASOBI and GENIC were two other stands out Japanese debuts this year, with one coming out of nowhere to instantly becoming a smash hit, and the other slowly building the strength of their material.

In Korea, the debut results were... mixed. We got some great debut tracks, but most of those came from companies that could barely afford to keep themselves afloat. Each of the big six agencies (SM, JYP, YG, Big Hit, Kakao M, CJ) debuted new groups and soloists this year,  but none of them took off quality-wise like they should have.

With all said, though, I think I have a solid list. And without further ado, here are some honorable mentions.


                                                  33. NiziU

NiziU - Step and a Step.png

By Source, Fair use, Link

NiziU's un-ambitious material held them back. But, if they allow their talented members to let loose, I feel we may have a J-Pop standout on the way. They already have reached success, now they just need songs that let them do stuff.

                                                            32. DNA


Image Source: YouTube

The new big Kazakh group, DNA basically has the same story as NiziU. An out-of-the-gates success, they just need the material to show their skills. I am giving them a higher spot, as I do not think they overrated. I just hope they make a unique sound soon enough.

                                                    31. Deep Squad



Image Source: Static Wikia Nocookie

A new Exile unit is always exciting. I really was not able to get into anything Deep Squad released, but they have a sound they are going for. As long as they keep going down the 90s R & B style, they are bound to hit gold sooner or later.

                                                          30. XUM



Image Source: Allkpop

Redebuts can be tricky stuff. NeonPunch had a set sound and style, and when it disbanded and was reformed as XUM (with two less members), the group's core sound changed. I am not the biggest fan of their new sound, but I felt 'Ddalala' was an oddly solid attempt, though it has not aged too well. The group did get into a controversy over some racist comments, but I think a sincere apology and attempts to show that it was not ill-intentioned (assuming it was not) would help them get back on track.

                                                          29. DKB                             

  
Image Source: Allkpop

DKB had a weird debut year. None of their songs were objectively any good (amongst their singles, they had good b-sides), yet both 'Still' and 'Sorry Mama' were actually quite enjoyable. They clearly have some dancing and singing talent, and access to one of the greatest East Asian songwriters alive. If Brave Sound actually gets back to writing new music, I feel these guys will probably become one of my favorite under-the-radar groups.

                                                             28. MCND



Image Source: KpopMap

MCND come from one of my favorite Korean agencies, Top Media. I am a big fan of Teen Top and 100%, and enjoyed some UP10TION material over the years too. In fact, I am a little surprised MCND are ranking so low, especially since they do have some sort of signature sound. Their weird Hip Hop sound blended with old school bonkers K-Pop really should allow them to enter the top 25, alas it does not. 'Ice Age' was a solid effort from the group, and it definitely deserves praise. Unfortunately, right afterwards we had the momentum killing 'Spring' before the group went on a mini-hiatus over lyp-synking a song with racist terms. While I do not think that act will haunt them, it did hurt their constant singles momentum. And when they did comeback, the title track was super terrible. Thankfully, that album did have some redeeming b-sides. But, you are the harshest on who you care for the most. They are young, though, and I really hope they bounce back.

                                                     27. Treasure


Image Source: SBS

Let us just say my review of Treasure's post debut singles have been a little less than outright 10s (Read: 6 or lower). Still, they have the budget, and access to producers, the members are also talented. A look at their pre-debut material suggests that they should have broken into the top 5, but alas, that was not to be. Unfortunately, their post-debut material can be described as disastarous. 'Boy' had a terrible trap rap, 'I Love You' had an over-indulgent drop (somewhat addictive, somewhat terrible). But nothing prepared me for the disastarous 'MMM', which is terrible. Still, as long as they get out of the Teddy Sound, and release more than single-albums, they may be able to succeed.

                                           26. Y & W (Young & Wild)


Image Source: Rapstar Media

Y & W will probably never break out. I am sorry, they are just so unheard off, they will have to smash a viral hit to get any attention. So, why are they so close to breaking into my top 25 rookies of 2020? Because of one song, 'Thirsty Now'. I know, the song name is terrible, but that is one fantastic song. The rappers also rap so good that most a-list stars would hide in shame. While I am afraid they may not ever succeed, I really hope I am proven wrong.


Comments

  1. All of these groups are well-defined by what you have called them. I find myself so blind that I could not even think of naming 25 rookies in 2020. 2020 feels so bland even for rookies. I just hope many of these rookies might be able to find their true sound. Not just copy from the standards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, not all rookies had a great year, though I love my top 15. I give special prominence to rookies, as they are the future. There will be some acts you all will be surprised to see, and some '108 Ent, why is this act so high?' moments, but I am proud of the list. Copycat rookies certainly were an issue this year, and several successful rookies missed the list.

      Also, just gonna say: I wanted to put The Midnight Romance and Hayley Williams on the list, but because Hayley basically led her group for a while, and Minue's group is basically a solo re-debut, I decided not to count them.

      Hope you enjoy the list :)

      Delete
    2. I'm sure that some will shock me. But I'm prepared for that. I hope 2021 will be the time the industry learns from their mistakes and give us a better music. Recently, I've been listening to many 2017-2019 songs and I find them much better, or maybe I'm just nostalgic. Whatever that may be. I hope 2021 is a great year! I'm also putting out my Top 10 songs of the year.

      Delete
    3. I'd love to see your top 10 songs of the year, and I think I have a few guesses on how it will go, let us see how right I am :)

      Yep, nostalgia does that to songs, though I have seen time also impair songs before. Basically, like can become love, and dislike can become hate. I enjoyed many 2019 songs of the gate, and there is not much to gain for them. 2017 has seen some massive growth. The weird one is 2018, where some songs have risen and others fallen so much, my top 10 is quite different! I wonder how my favorite 2020 songs will pan out it a few years...

      Delete
    4. I have sad news 108music, starting 2021, I'm gonna be more harsh on giving my reaction that means more songs are going to be 7/10 than they are. Example for my new rating is Given-Taken, I gave it 91. But with my new method I'm going to give it 6.75/10. That is my new method. I'm going to take music criticism seriously. Although this might be bad but good news is any song that is above 5.75 is already very good for me.

      ON from 9.5 -> 7; New World from 10 -> 8.75; Answer from 9 -> 7.75; LA DI DA from 10 -> 8. That is how brutal it might become. Because I've seen the need for me to stop giving scores above 9. I will be doing a objective rating and personal rating, to cope it up.

      Delete
    5. Ooh, it would be interesting to see how these new scores are.

      I wonder how it will work with your Korea Metacritic, as everyone else prefers the normal rubric (10 = Legendary, 9 = A must checkout for everyone, etc.). Even IZM does not get too harsh in their scores (they save their attacks for the writing section). Personally, I always find the review write-up more fun than the actual score, so I do not think it is going to change much for how I read your blog :)

      Delete
    6. Thanks for your compliments. But I find my writing more irritating and redundant for me. I wish I could really say what I want but I, sometimes couldn't express it. How idiotic of me LOL. Well I do agree IZM isn't harsh in scores but they hit the nails on the text. With the TrackScore thing, I think 2020 wasn't a good time for it as I think 2021 will be much perfect and that I would be able to extrapolate the scores well.

      Delete
    7. I too hope 2021 will be much better than 2020, in all aspects...

      Delete

Post a Comment