B-Side Review Feature (Drippin, Blackpink, TXT)

 B-Side Review Feature

B-Side Reviews from this month! Quite simple actually.

Blackpink - You Never Know

A gorgeous ballad from the beginning of the month, 'You Never Know' has slowly grown over me during the course of the month. The synths and orchestral create a wild and operatic field, while the melancholy vocals showcase the concept (pressure, hate while being an idol) quite well. I always felt Blackpink were a group with strong vocals, this is the proof. I hope they continue down this path.

Rating: 8.75/10

Drippin - Overdrive

Similar to Wanna One's 'Energetic' in energy. 'Overdrive' is all about that heavy chorus. I enjoy the song's nonstop energy, but the "okay" in the chorus nearly throws me off.

Rating: 8.5/10

TXT - Ghosting

I love it when TXT show their emotive side, their lead single did not do this, but thankfully 'Ghosting' feels like a spiritual successor to BTS's 'Spring Day' viewed through a more youthful vibe. From the youthful upbeat backbeat to the sad vocals (with excellent vocal processing, for once), this track is a winner. I do not know how it will age, but this is a fantastic track that I probably will play a lot (TXT are my while-doing-school/reading band).

Rating: 8.75/10

Comments

  1. Interesting that these are also my favorite b-sides from the albums aforementioned. I just love the incredible nature of these b-sides but no one has yet topped, Voice - LOONA, We are Bulletproof: The Eternal/Black Swan - BTS, Stray Kids, Shade - YUKIKA, and Diver - YooA's b-sides this year. Interestingly all is just 8.5s and no actual highlight. I absolutely agree. Ghosting is my favorite alternative song this year followed by Bon Voyage/a song of ice & fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Voice was okay for me, Shade was great, you already know how I love Diver, Black Swan was too autotuned for me (and I technically count it as a single, simply because I can), but darn I love Bulletproof Eternal, it is perfect!

      Delete
  2. By the way I've released a blog here: deforestedmusic.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! I checked out the blog and it looks great! Looking forward to seeing more Metacritic reviews, and the review criteria looks good too :)

      Delete

Post a Comment