Mini Song Reviews (SuperM, Wonho, Snow Man, and YooA)

SuperM in October 2019 From left to right: Ten, Baekhyun, Lucas, Taemin, Taeyong, Kai and Mark.
By Dispatch, CC BY 3.0, Link

 Mini Song Reviews (SuperM, Wonho, Snow Man, and YooA)

Every now and then I will do mini song reviews for the songs that I did not get the time to review, so have fun!
 

Tiger Inside - SuperM

SuperM has had an ‘interesting’ career so far to say the least. Debuting with ‘Jopping’, the super-group established itself as one which would not take itself seriously. More hip-hop focused than Jopping or 100, Tiger Inside recalls EXO’s 2013 hit ‘Wolf’, a simple edgy song which makes itself cheesy with some ad-libs, lyrics etc., The verses are driven by a simple hip-hop melody, with a solid pre-chorus and an occasional (great) high-notes. The chorus is strong and catchy, though the song probably won’t last long.

 Rating: 8/10

Bon Voyage - YooA

Oh My Girl’s ‘Nonstop’ was one of the year’s biggest Korean hits, but disappointed several long time fans of the group for abandoning their traditional dream-like sound and will to experiment. ‘Bon Voyage’, released by member YooA is far from perfect, but at least brings her back to a larger than life sound. The song borrows a lot from the ‘Lion King’ and traditional tribal music with some African elements. The biggest disappointment in this song foils from the fact that unlike Wonho’s ‘Open Mind’, vocals do not join to support the chorus for a second phase and new vocals are not added for subsequent renditions of the chorus. A high-note or two near the climax would help boost this song into the stratosphere.

Edit: I posted the wrong score initially, it is now fixed.

Rating: 8.75/10


Kissin' My Lips - Snow Man

The latest nominee for the cringiest English this year, I am so disappointed by this song. I loved the groups’ debut single ‘Dancing Dynamite’ so much, this was probably my most anticipated song this month. In the end, it feels like any other 2015 K-Pop boy band song, and it is J-Pop! It is not bad, just forgettable. I listened to it a minute ago, and I already forgot half the song. Unless it grows a lot, it may top my personal most disappointing songs this year.

 Rating: 7/10

Open Mind - Wonho

Going for Taemin-esque funk, the former Monsta X member’s solo debut actually was supposed to have a full write-up, but I am busy (read: lazy) and thus it is being written up in this combo post.  While the chorus at first is purely instrumental, vocals are added for subsequent repetitions. This works to a great degree. But I doubt I will listen to it a lot now that Criminal is in.

 Rating: 7.75/10

Comments