Mini Song Reviews (Bae173, Sakurazaka 46, BXW, Brooklyn, BuZZ)

 

Mini Song Reviews ( Bae173, Sakurazaka 46, BXW, Brooklyn, BuZZ)

Image Source: Jpop Amino

Note: it is a busy time for me, I will be a few days late for my end of month list. Also, my posts will be irregular for the next week or so.

Bae173 - Crush On U

The MV for this song is just bad. Now that we got that out of the way, onto the song. Bae173 have one of the worst rookie group names for 2020, and they have one of the best rookie group songs for 2020. Producer team Galaktika knows their artists' strengths, and Bae173 fully takes advantage of the group's youth. The chorus is an explosion of fun hooks, each better than the last. The song knows when to pull back and when to explode (the ending). I really enjoyed this track.

Rating: 8.75/10

Sakurazaka 46 - Nobody's Fault

J-Pop girl group tracks often are too style over substance for me. Thankfully Sakurazaka 46 do not follow this trope for their re-debut single. Backed by a guitar army and a serious hook that blends militant and celebratory into a sentence. Looking at their 'Buddies' track, I still am worried about their future. Still, this is a solid re-debut. Also, they do a key change (happy smile).

Rating: 8.5/10

BXW - Takaiyumeni

The theme of this mini-song review is underrated artists. That said, 'Takaiyumeni' is great in succeeding at what it wants. It sounds like J-Pop meets NCS, and that is surprisingly good. The verses in particular do a great job of balancing the two sides of the track (vocals and instrumental). The chorus is a bit too celebratory and loud, especially for the first half. If you are willing to alter the volume, this track is near-perfect for 2020 tracks.

Rating: 8.25/10

Brooklyn - Imagine

Anyone heard of Brooklyn? his new song 'Imagine' has just about 1,000 views (during the time of this post's writing). It seems as mainstream acts are taking retro, unheard of acts are taking EDM back. The pre-chorus and chorus go full over-the-top EDM, and it works so well. It feels edgy while being fun. The mid-tempo vibes in the verses occasionally fail, and the second verse trap is out-of-place. But overall, this is one really awesome track. Good job Brooklyn, you have got my attention.

Rating: 8.5/10

BuZZ - Sun and Love

Those "Bam, Bam, Ba-Ba-Ba- Bam" lines are so good. 'Sun and Love' might be the most timeless song released this month. It sounds like a 2000s recording of a 1950s classic. There is just something about the laidback hook in the chorus. I see many people claim they do not listen to contemporary J-Pop as it too focused on the visuals and the MV, or it is too weird instead of supporting a good old-school melody and vocals. If you meet any of those people, show them this song, I guarantee they will love it till the classic fade-out. My only question is why this track is not topping charts everywhere.

Rating: 9/10

Comments

  1. Hello this is still StillBangtan V! I'm so impressed by what you have said earlier with that ridiculous person. To be frank, a music critic like us has lots of biases including me. Yes, I was very hurt by the bad reviews that i see from my favorite groups. Its even passed the point where i had to calm my nerves down because I was so disappointed at my favorite songs, artists. And I just brushed it off. i never ranted on social media. I'm sorry you have to deal with that attack. I'm a POC. And what they did was irrational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for supporting my blog StillBangtan (btw, saw your SM analysis, it was quite informative!).

      I actually am not frustrated by his/her views. In fact, it was interesting to see that reader's views. I just wish he did not over-analyze a few lines from my reviews, and getting the wrong interpretation.

      Delete
  2. Wow. I'm so happy you enjoyed all the tracks, I enjoy them a lot too especially BAE173! With what I said earlier. You should just not mind them and brush them off. They are like kids plowing with nuisances. But you are the most objective I've seen. Don't let them brainwash you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, here were the winners of the awards that have recently been done. I didn't post it because I haven't had enough time.

      11th Korean Music Producers’ Guild Award
      Outstanding Album: Map of the Soul: 7 (BTS)
      Outstanding Record: Back Door (Stray Kids)
      Outstanding Debut: ENHYPEN
      Pop: TXT
      R&B: Park Jihoon
      Rock: LUCY
      Rap: BTS
      Electronic: ENHYPEN
      Soundtrack: Stray Kids

      11th Performers’ Society of Korea
      Performance of the Year: BTS
      Debut Performance: ENHYPEN
      Alternative: OnlyOneOf
      Pop: Golden Child
      Electronic: TAEMIN
      Rock: DREAMCTACHER
      R&B: Park Jihoon
      Rap: Stray Kids
      Traditional: Im Young Woong

      Delete
    2. Not gonna lie, I do not agree with all the winners, but congratulations to all of them!

      Delete
  3. Also please keep being open-minded to BTS and Big Hit groups. I criticize their vocal production, overpricing and much more, but I do not let that hinder my critical analysis of the song. I will always say what the good and bad is. I trust you for that! (P.S. I find it weird that SM stans always attack BTS/BH groups don't you see it as funny?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, staying open-minded is a big part of making sure reviews are not messy.

      I actually have seen both sides of the BTS/SM debate be mean, but I have seen support from both sides. I personally would not say that one side keeps attacking the other, for the majority of both fandoms are relatively nice. I think the issue's route is new Armys who are unwilling to go beyond BTS when looking at K-Pop history, bringing out the worst side of the SM fans (whose artists make a good chunk of K-Pop history). In the end, it is no one's fault in my opinion.

      Sorry for the late replies, busy time of the year for me for the next few weeks, hopefully things get lighter on my to-do list soon :)

      Delete

Post a Comment