Album Review: Miyavi - Imaginary


Album Review: Miyavi - Imaginary

Miyavi is one of my favorite modern artists. He has more gems in his extensive discography than most global A-Listers have. What is more, is that he is an album artist. 2013's Miyavi and 2020's Holy Nights are two of the best albums I have ever heard. Now, with Imaginary, he provides a new amazing album.

I am still dissecting the album, but at the very least, I need to note how fantastic it is. I had high expectations for this album, but it somehow lived up to my expectations and more. 


New Gravity

Opening the album is New Gravity. This fantastic dance track is never reduced, speeding through with its somewhat synthy guitar loops, powering through with fantastic speed. This is what Miyavi can easily do, and he has no issue showing that.

Rating: 9.25/10


Imaginary Ft. Kimbra

Imaginary is arguably one of the weakest tracks in the albums, but even it has aged incredibly. It is jet speed, even if certainly lacking the grit that makes Miyavi great. The song is fun, even if it needs a punch. Kimbra is strong here, providing just the right amount of contrast.

Rating: 8/10


Warrior

What can I say about Warrior? This is one of the best J-Pop tracks this year, and one of the new decade's best rock tracks as a whole. The stately sci-fi chorus feels like floating in space, while the racing verses have enough grit for the whole package to succeed. If Imaginary is a human then Warrior is the heart. It is the living, beating soul of the album. The guitar shred alone makes this the album's strongest track.

Rating: 9.5/10


Smells Like Teen Spirit

Probably one of the best covers of this iconic track, Miyavi's rendition of the Nirvana mega-hit thrives with its productional flourishes. While it lacks the impact of Warrior or Living in Fire, it is strong and gritty, and Miyavi leaves nothing to chance for this cover.

Rating: 8.75/10


Living in Fire

Living in Fire is wild and explorative, with its verses, flowing with the speed expected of the world's greatest guitarist. However, the song's true trump card is its melodic chorus. The triumphant and epic refrain certainly deserves all the praise possible.

Rating: 9.25/10


Hush Hush Ft. Kang Daniel

Of all the album collaborations, Hush Hush might just be the most fun. It pops with energy, with a carnivalesque feel. It is chaotic, with a little bit of fun creepiness driving the track. Not everyone can pull this off, but I certainly would expect Kang and Miyavi to be able to, and boy they succeed greatly.

Rating: 9/10


Youth of the Nation Ft. Troi Irons

Compared to the aggressive original, Miyavi's cover of this P.O.D classic is subtle, thriving more on emotion than a vibe. This is an absolute success, with the cover basking in the glorified waves of the central refrain, driven by Miyavi's plucky guitar.

Rating: 8.75/10


I Swear

Compared to the heartbreaking previous tracks on the album, I Swear is a perfect, joyful song, yet flowing with youthful emotion and energy, more than worth an award. The song flows with emotion, energy, and a feel of catharsis, rarely ever heard in modern music. With strong lyrics and production, I Swear is a potential classic.

Rating: 9.25/10


Are You With Me?

Are You With Me? is fun, it does little wrong. However, it lacks the charm, grit, and energy that has made the rest of Imaginary click. The central refrain is middling, and even the central Miyavi rock riff is strong, not amazing.

Rating: 7.5/10


Dance With Me

A slow, heart-breaking ballad, Dance With Me is anything but its title. It is sad, slow, and introspective. Nonetheless, it works strongly. Miyavi clearly knows what he is doing, with the central melody hitting like bricks, and the rock riff providing some much-needed contrast.

Rating: 8.75/10


Super Hero (Imaginary Version)

Of course, the album ends on a high. With this remake of an old, initially underwhelming, Miyavi track, Miyavi brings some conclusion to this epic era. From the amazing autotune to the stunning guitar shredding through the song, to the melodic moments, Super Hero has something for everyone. It is a bit overcrowded, but it is hard to deny each and every moment is a highlight.

Rating: 9/10



Overall Rating: 8.75/10*

*Rounded Rating: Actual Rating 8.82/10

So far, there have been some strong albums this decade. Imaginary joins an exclusive list of the very best albums amongst them. From the beginning to the end, Imaginary hardly provides a dull moment, while staying consistent at the same time.

This may not be Miyavi at his very peak. 2013, 2015, 2016, and 2020 all saw better albums. Nonetheless, this is one of the strongest albums this year, and the world is all the better for it. Miyavi is a modern icon, and this is another fantastic release from the greatest guitarist active.

Image Source: Fender

Comments

  1. There was a time when NCT fans suspected there'd be a Miyavi x NCT collab of sorts. I think Miyavi posted an NCT-related image or something on IG? This was probably 2019? I don't really remember much. NCT remain precious to me, but I haven't been closely following them, so I don't know what became of that. New Gravity and Warrior remind me why I will always have what ifs. Miyavi is amazing.

    Also, I remember you recommending Kusabi, maybe to someone new to JPOP. I remember thinking we might have similar tastes, lol, because I ADORE Kusabi. I'm not that versed with Johnny's and I asked Nick for some recs similar to Kusabi (among others). Wanted to share with you the convo, in case you might find something you like! (You may have heard these songs before, sorry lol. Also I was thinking of replying to your comment there, but I wasn't sure if you'd be notified.) Here's the thread: https://thebiaslist.com/2021/09/20/song-review-kis-my-ft2-fear/#comments

    And kindly let me know your thoughts on the Kitayama solo, if it's alright: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzSSNj4dyiA. It's quite simple, but I might be a bit obsessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NCT x Miyavi would have been great! I am not sure if you have heard it, but I'd strongly recommend Miyavi's last major collaboration with an idol group. Kis-My-Ft2's Freeze, a 2018 b-side which is probably their best song. Miyavi is truly amazing, and songs like Warrior also make me wonder why major agencies always call him in.

      Yeah, I think I have recommended Kusabi quite a few times, you might be remembering when I recommended it to StillBangtan way back when haha. What can I say? I love the song so much, it is one of the best songs ever, no two ways about that.

      Yeah, I do not get notified of old comments! Thanks so much Bluemonday! Based on the songs that Nick suggested, I do think we have really similar taste, and we also both really love Fear (which I will review soon, hopefully).

      Of course, Truth is an absolute gem, same with Mikan. I love a lot of Arashi songs, even if I am quite new to their discography. Kite is still my favorite, despite it being so new.

      There are some great songs I don't know that Nick suggested, I'd hear them quickly lol, I love this style too. At the same time, I think I have some additional Johnny's recommendations for you:

      Kat-Tun - Triangle, Dead or Alive

      Kis-My-Ft2 - Freeze

      Hey! Say! JUMP - Call and Pray, Beast and Rose

      SixTONES - Navigator

      For the Kiyatama song, it is nice. I like the down tempo verses, they are performed well, and especially the chorus, which adds some rock elements. I just wish it popped out a little more, the vocal processing certainly does not help. Maybe it will grow on me!

      Delete
  2. Wait, Hush Hush is good too. I'll listen to the rest. Such a strong album so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can see from this review, I LOVE the album. I strongly recommend hearing the whole thing!

      Delete

Post a Comment