2021: Growers and Fallers


2021: Growers and Fallers

As someone who writes reviews during my free time, my opinions have changed several times. Thus, I am making a mid-year post on songs I would like to re-score. This feature is based on The Bias List's Risers and Fallers. Check it out if you can.

Growers

aespa - Next Level

Original Score: 7

Updated Score: 8.75

Next Level has been one of the year's biggest growers. From the thumping bass to the sassy vocal performance, the whole song aged better than I thought. The best part is still the amazing bridge.

Hikaru Utada - One Last Kiss

Original Score: 8.75

Updated Score: 9.5

One Last Kiss was great upon first listen, but built up further each listen. The climax still gives me absolute chills, and in the best way possible.

Jeong Sewoon - In The Dark

Original Score: 8.25

Updated Score: 8.75

In The Dark is a song I don't return to often, but it makes my day each time I do. The mellow, subtle, and sad beat is excellently combated by the hopeful and sassy performance by Jeong Sewoon.


IU - Lilac

Original Score: 8.75

Updated Score: 9.25

Lilac stands as the best spring song this year, and a summer highlight as well. The instrumentation came together perfectly, and IU's performance is stunning.


Other Growers:

(G)I-DLE - Hwaa (New Score: 8.5)

ALI - Fight Dub Club (New Score: 9) (Side Note: Kind of sad what happened to the band, damn the drummer)

Golden Child - Burn It (New Score: 8.75)


Fallers

Snow Man - Grandeur

Original Score: 9.25

Updated Score: 8.75

Grandeur is still a lot of fun, and I love it every time it comes on the shuffle, but I rarely individually seek it. I blame this on the fact that the song barely gives the listener a second to breathe.


SixTONES - Bokuga Boku Janai Mitai Da

Original Score: 9.25

Updated Score: 9

My bias towards SixTONES may have greatly advanced this song's score. That said, it still is a solid song I return to a good bit.


ONF - Ugly Dance

Original Score: 8.5

Updated Score: 8

Ugly Dance is still a lot of fun, but it lacks a core, something which made all previous ONF songs so good. The melody especially is a bit throwaway.


Other Fallers:

Kat-Tun - Roar (New Score: 8.5)

Comments

  1. A big “f*ck you” to ALI’s former drummer. Because of him, I fear that the songs are going to get taken down again 😖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of their songs have been taken down already. I downloaded Fight Dub Club when the controversy started, just to be safe. I am glad I did. Thankfully, people are reuploading their songs on YouTube. It also is sad, Teenage City Riot will likely never see the light of day, and it sounded great from the part we got.

      As I said, damn the drummer.

      Delete
  2. I'm forgiving you Next Level (betrayed gasp) because In The Dark got its deserved rating haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In The Dark is such a grower, I really feel the emotion through the song.

      For Next Level, I did not think it would grow, but I would randomly start humming it whenever I had a free second lol.

      Delete

Post a Comment