Review: Golden Child - Burn It

 

Review: Golden Child - Burn It

Golden Child has slowly become one of the most beloved K-Pop groups from the 4th generation. However, I am somewhat of a Golcha contrarian. While most feel their best style is with the light-hearted pop sound, I feel they peaked with the BLSSD produced singles and their accompanying albums (though Lady and Eyes on You are masterpieces). Also, most prefer Wannabe to Without You, while I prefer the latter. Even in Road to Kingdom, I prefer their Wannabe remix to their Twinkling of Paradise remix, despite nearly everyone believing otherwise. Thus, the mixed opinions over their new single Burn It had me confused, and I wondered what I would think of it.

Regardless, Golcha has skyrocketed in popularity recently, with Burn It easily being their biggest hit yet by far. And I don't think that is just because of the song. The music video is easily the best zombie invasion MV ever. Similar to The Last of Us, it deals with the personal stories where death and sadness are at every corner. The MV lacks polish, but the emotion is well-felt. Plus, the members and the girl (I don't know her name), do a fantastic job in acting. The choreography is also the group's best yet as well. In fact, I think the song is just an OST for this MV.

Normally that is a bad thing, but not here, it builds the vibe greatly. Similar to many modern songs, there is a moombahton from 2016/17 K-Pop, with whistles from late last year, and trendy production. The verses can prove a little aimless, though the members do their best to aim the whole thing in the right direction.

The chorus takes that atmosphere and builds on it. The vocal performance over here peaks the pre-chorus big-time (a rarity in Golden Child songs, I blame this on the new producer), while the post-chorus "Whoa" and "Burn It" hooks are easily the most melodic thing in the song. The members' emotional performance compared to the straightforward lyrics once again reminds me that the MV drives the song here.

The second verse is very short, as if it was an afterthought. This is a modern Golden Child problem for me, the songs are terribly paced. Thankfully, Tag and Jangjun absolutely dominate with their emotional rap. I especially like how the production fades for Tag's rap, though a better climax afterward is so deserved.

Overall a great song, Burn It is still a companion to a greater MV. The members lift the song out of several sticky situations, just enough for the song to be really good.

Rating: 8.25/10

Image Source: Kpopmap

Comments

  1. Finally! A much more toned down review. You really highlighted the critical points in this review. I actually didn't expect Burn it to get such high praise. Even garnering an 88 in TrackScore. So, thanks for sharing this valuable review!

    Btw, what did you think of Dreamcatcher? I knew you love it. That song wasn't just for me. It's weird really. I'm very weird. Again, to his of her own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how the Trackscore has changed after my review. Glad you enjoyed it! I think the MV affected several people's opinions. Or maybe, they just like it more than me or you, probably the latter.

      Actually, you're wrong, I am quite mixed on the track. It seems like it is everything I like in Dreamcatcher, just weaker. Funnily, my favorite moment is Dami's trap rap. If I review it, I will wait a day or two, I am so confused by it. It just is missing something in it.

      Delete
    2. Glad I wasn't just the one feeling that. That DREAMCATCHER might also change scores in a few days.

      Golden Child might take a Hit but we'll see.

      Delete
    3. Ya, I wonder how it will age for everyone.

      Golden Child almost certainly will take a trackscore hit due to me, but I got to be honest. Glad that they are finally getting the commercial success they deserve so much though.

      Delete
  2. Well, Burn It just went from 88 to 86. It wasn't that bad I guess. IZM reviewed Hwaa (60) and Switch to Me (40). EPIK HIGH also got a 70. Well if IZM decides to review more certainly these scores will be dropping.

    The DREAMCATCHER song is finally getting a grip of me. After my 10th listen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IZM can be harsh with the scores, but they use the 5 star method.

      Dreamcatcher have yet to do it this comeback for me with the title track, still waiting.

      Delete
  3. Great review! I'm really glad that I see someone else appreciating the Tag-Jangjun part as I thought it was really great and emotion-packed. I love their BLSSD sound, not sure why so many are over it haha. It suits them well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Una!

      The Tag-Jangjun rap was so emotional and well-written, easily the top moment from the song. I think the instrumental faded rap is gaining prominence in K-Pop. It has been there since at least 2015, but I think with two popular groups using it right after another, artists will take notice.

      Glad someone else likes their BLSSD sound, it suits them so well! I hope he comes back to write more songs for them. And while Woolim's at it, might as well ask Sweetune to write some Infinite songs, or so I hope.

      Delete

Post a Comment