Review: Snow Man - Grandeur


Review: Snow Man - Grandeur

I do not watch anime, but if watch them eventually, Black Clover would be high on the list simply due to the OSTs. I mean really, they are on a massive role. TXT's Everlasting Shine made it high on my end-of-year-lists, while the new Treasure OST is solid, and now Grandeur. Of course, this is not Snow Man's first shot at a Black Clover title theme song. Over their 4-single long career, 2 of them are now Black Clover themes, this and Stories. I wonder if Snow Man and Black Clover will become interlinked due to this.

Now I like Stories, but it was a song utterly lacking in longevity. Notably, because they are like 500 other songs like that which come out during each anime season. Grandeur, on the other hand, takes me back to the late second-generation of K-Pop at times.

Lyrically, Grandeur is what you would expect from an anime theme. "Never give up", "Let us rise", "Do not look back", the usual. That does not mean it is bad, though I could point to many songs that do this better, some even by Snow Man.

The first verse is funky and has some brass. But overall, the feel is very much like a Big Band song. I like the piano sprinkled here along with the electronic synth. It creates a fun and wild style. Something refreshing, there is no autotune till the pre-chorus. And even in the pre-chorus, it is used wisely. The members' voices are not perfect, but its rugged, off-tune style goes great with Tommy Clint's polished production.

Based on the verses, it is hard to tell where the chorus will go. Thankfully, any fears prove unjustified. The chorus is lightning in a bottle. It is funky and heavy on the brass and feels like a culminated moment. Switching between singing and rapping, the first phase is perfect for its short-lived life. It is ambitious yet joyful, and will probably be played whenever the good guys are winning.

The second phase is instrumentally driven. It is fun and very hype-ey (is that a word?). Overall, the chorus is a culminated moment, making anything worth it.

The next verse is rap driven. But keeping up with the song's fun style, the rap is fun and light. That does not lower the members' performance, which is on spot. When the chorus comes back, it feels like a joyful moment waited upon for ages.

The bridge lets the piano take center-stage at first. I love how the good-old big band and jazz piano styles are incorporated into this funky dance track. It really builds an atmosphere. After the vocal-segment, instead of the chorus, we get a neat rap. I have not heard this sort of stuff since the second generation of K-Pop. Okay, Dreamcatcher did this in Scream, but that was edgy, here it is fun.

When the chorus comes back, the joy triples. As it should be, the instrumental is more in-depth in the final chorus, and a high-note comes in too for good measure.

A grower by all methods, Grandeur is a gem, worth checking out in all measures.

But really, at 0:36, am I the only one who hears "Fighting, fighting soldier, yes do it, do it salad!". Please tell me no.

Here is the Full Version Link, but really, they just repeated the chorus refrain once again. You can just stick with the YouTube version if you want.

Rating: 9.25/10

Image Source: Genius

Comments

  1. Yes! I really love Grandeur maybe even my 2nd favorite Johnny's song after Kite. Well, that is a bit of shame to the Johnny's name but I will discover what I have to discover. So far KAT-TUN is great I will check out NEWS though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kite and Grandeur are some modern Johnny's favorites for me, Imitation Rain for me too. I can't wait till you here my favorite Kat-Tun songs, such as Kusabi or Triangle. It is a ride worth going on!

      Delete
    2. Oh yes! Kusabi is my 2nd favorite! I haven't heard Triangle yet but I hope it will be an experience.

      Delete
    3. By the way, If i was to publicize Boku's ratings it would be a 9. I realized how amazing the lyrics were. Such a tearjerker. And the production is impeccable!

      Delete
    4. If you like straightforward rock, it is.

      My (current and quickly written) top 5 Kat-Tun songs

      1. Kusabi
      2. Triangle
      3. Rescue
      4. Dead or Alive
      5. Real Face

      Honorable Mentions: Come Here, Lock On, Ask Yourself, In Fact, White

      I have not bought or heard all Kat-Tun songs. But from what I know, these are the best.

      I just love the restrained orchestral mysteriousness of Kusabi.

      Delete
    5. Glad the lyrics of Boku have made an impact on you, the point was well conveyed. I think it is possibly my favorite Nogizaka46 song that I have heard. There is just something in it, maybe an emotion and heart, something modern music lacks so much.

      Delete
  2. By the way, what do you think of Golden Child's Burn It? I personally will be in the minority and say I love it. Yes, I'm sure most of the critics will be disappointed by the chorus but it is already one of the best in the 2020s decade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way I expect the song to sound this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex_ZGGoCxfs It so so outstanding. I will rate this 8.5 if it levels up.

      Delete
    2. That is a great teaser mash-up, maybe it slightly increased my interest in the song.

      The teaser sounds to my tastes, but just too bland for me to get hyped. Also, unlike others, the album has not hyped me minus the intro. I hope I am wrong though, and I often am from the teasers (I thought Favorite Boys would be a disaster). Hope it is as good as you predict or better!

      Delete

Post a Comment