Review: Kat-Tun - Roar

 

Review: Kat-Tun - Roar

Notice: Due to schedule constraints, I am pausing the Golden Era Bollywood series.

Kat-Tun are one of my favorite J-Pop groups of all time. Their discography is so good that I will sing a whole lot of praise over it. Anyway, I was joyous that they had announced that their new single would finally be available on streaming services I got hyped... until I realized it was only in Japan. I almost wrote a rant post! Anyway, I am glad to report that Roar is finally available on Spotify, and I really enjoy it.

Unlike their previous singles, always thriving on over-the-top energy, Roar is a subtle evolution, driven by a much slower melody. Thankfully, this allows for the depth you are supposed to see in a group of this age (cough cough... Super Junior... cough cough).

Roar's slow-burn melody might initially seem too light, but it grows quickly. It is very classic J-Pop, with the strings galore, and strong keyboard usage. This orchestration is what got me into Kat-Tun in the first place, and I am glad to see it back.

All of this leads to the melodic chorus. The notes are cleverly picked, clearly, the writers know how to write music. Of course, the guitar edge is all classic Kat-Tun. My favorite moment is the off-chord note (1:13 initially in the audio version) which gives an adventurous feel.

Credit also to Kat-Tun who have definitely not lost their singing edge. This feels really fresh, just as Kat-Tun should.

While not really sounding too much like classic Kat-Tun, and a tad underwhelming for a post 3-year hiatus comeback, Roar succeeds, and it all about its excellent growth.

Rating: 8.75/10

Comments