The Top 25 Rookies Artists of 2021: 25-11


The Top 25 Rookies Artists of 2021: 25-11

It has been about a year since I did the rookies countdown, so I guess it is a good time to do the rules refresher, and thank all my new viewers. Thanks for joining this site's community! Thanks to all old viewers too, you have all stuck around for a long time!

I love rookie artists. They are the musical future, and thus their feature is one of the biggest for this site and starts several weeks before the rest of my end-of-year lists. Before we get to the list, let us go over some rules.

  • Rookies don't really get time to show their skills within a month, so I go from December 1, 2020, to November 30, 2021, for all the artists available in this countdown. That means Rolling Quartz is eligible, but IVE is not.
  • This is based on debut, not breakout. As a result, Arooj Aftab and Brave Girls are excluded.
  • This counts an artist's single or album debut. Whichever came first. As a result, Morgan Wade and aespa are excluded.
  • Your first debut internationally is what counts. Twice don't count as they made their Korean debut years before their international one.
  • I also eliminated artists who released great material but lack the funding to become influential.
  • No disbanded artists count.
Now let us start the list!


25. NTX

There are so many reasons for NTX to not be on the list, from the awkward 'cultural' photos, the heavy autotune in their debut single, the fact they have failed to release anything since debut, but debut single Kiss the World, whether heard in the Performance or Ballad version, is such a K-Pop throwback track that it more than makes up for the flaws.


24. Blitzers

The best groups know what they want to be, guided by a strong A&R team. While Blitzers material hasn't exactly been flawless, they have this down. Their edgy rap-rock song seems just ahead of the curve, and it makes little to no sense for them to falter soon.


23. T1419

T1419 provided a blitz of hip-hop singles this year, most of them fitting into K-Pop's noisy, electronic boy band sound. However, Exit proved a strong 90s throwback track faltered only by its repetitiveness. If they continue down this route, they have a strong chance to establish an influential discography.


22. Ciipher

Let us not kid ourselves, Ciipher's debut track I Like You was one of the worst songs this year. At the same time, for the group's first comeback, Rain and his team let Ciipher have more creative control, and the result was the fantastic Blind, with its surging rock chorus. The pre-chorus instantly raised expectations for their next release.


21. BugAboo

BugAboo's biggest strength and weakest is their company's CEO and main producer Ryan Jhun. On one hand, he is undoubtedly one of the most talented composers in Korea of modern times, but he also is a bit of a controversial, misogynist, mess. If the group can somehow thrive, and Jhun improve his behavior, then things might go great for BugAboo.


20. Do Hanse (Victon)

Sometimes, the music scene can seem a bit stagnant and safe. That is why despite its occasional flaws, Victon member Do Hanse's solo debut album was such a joy. Public Enemy and Take Over were some of the most invigorating tracks this year, with just enough G-Dragon in his style to stand out.


19. TRI.BE

TRI.BE's three singles have all chased trends. Nonetheless, each of them managed to carve their space into the K-Pop fandom's collective memory via strong performances, catchy hooks, and strong production via legacy composer Shinsadong Tiger.


18. Omega X

Omega X have talent, with each of the members being former members of talented but commercially unsuccessful boy bands. While none of their singles were worth a mention, b-side Younger is one of the year's best tracks.


17. ALAMAT

While Kbye was a solid track, it was with Kasmala that ALAMAT fully impressed us. From one of the best MVs this year to the fragmented production through the chorus, ALAMAT clearly know what they are doing. Make no mistake, they are a group to keep an eye on.


16. MIRAE

With two solid mini-albums under their belt already, MIRAE seem to know what they are doing. While Killa has aged fantastic, Splash remains a blot that lowered their spot on the list.


15. Just B

Had Just B only released their first EP this year, they would have nearly topped this countdown. Yongguk was just the perfect composer for them, and each of the members were easily able to show their talents with the epic and expansive EDM landscape. Unfortunately, they switched producers for their comeback, and Andreas Ohrn failed to understand what made Damage so good. Hopefully they return to Yongguk soon.


14. Wendy (Red Velvet)

After suffering from one of the most disastrous accidents in recent K-Pop history, Wendy's solo debut was a comfort to her fans, along with anyone who listens. A fantastic vocalist, Wendy provided much pathos to Like Water and its b-sides.


13. Yuqi ((G)I-DLE)

While (G)I-DLE fans can't exactly say that their group had a great year, member Yuqi's solo debut stood out in its own right. Her deep voice stood out in its own right, providing intensity and ambience to both her tracks.


12. Adora

Adora has received much acclaim over the years as a producer for BTS, even providing backing vocals for the group several times. Her solo debut stood out with its alt-pop feel and quirky MV. It will be interesting to see where she goes next.


11. Naniwa Danshi

Although far from perfect, Ubu Love was a neat debut for the Johnny's J-Pop group. Their agency, while controversial for its behind-the-scenes actions, has a strong A&R team, and I have no doubt Naniwa Danshi will continue their extraordinary success.



Comments

  1. Hanse and Yuqi gave us some really great songs this year. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Una! Yeah, Hanse and Yuqi had quite the highlights!

      Delete
  2. Oh this list is strong! I like JUST B the most here because of Damage and Get Away which is my favorite rookie moment of 2021. I'm hoping we're gonna get the rightful sequel of Damage next time because it's a waste of their talents and it's a crime to have a debut that good but not be able to follow it up with something as good.

    I like Mirae but as for Killa, I feel like I'm the only one not really sold with it. I think I read so many positive reviews before I checked it out and that raised my expectations so much. I think the sections felt a little copy-paste. It also sounds a lot like the Boyz's Right Here which I like more. I see its appeal with the use of triangle synths but i think Shadow (Slip Inside) used triangle wave synths better and and Right Here does funk better.

    I'm also glad Ciipher got to redeem themselves with Blind. They listened to the comments and came back with a blast. I think that should have been their debut (or something similar) because so many people slept on its release thinking Ciipher is a meme group when they proved to be so much more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KKEXO!

      Just B could honestly top the list had their follow up been better and stuck with Yongguk. For my personal sanity, I personally refuse to acknowledge their first comeback lol. Hope they come up with something as good :)

      I also was not much of a Killa fan, I gave it a 7.75 review initially, I'd give it an 8.5 now though. I love the concept potential however, and both EPs were great, so they get a spot.

      The best part of Blind is that Rain let the members right the song themselves. I'd love to see where Ciipher go next.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Just B has immense potential and leader Lim Jimin has a very versatile voice for singing and rapping and the members have good vocals. Damage is in my top 10 kpop songs this year and I shared it on another site I commented on :D

      For Killa, I really think it's good but I don't know what I was looking for. Maybe I need to turn off my mind and stop thinking of Right Here when I hear it. An 8.5 score sounds about right for me!! I saw other sites gave it 9-9.25 scores I think? And in my mind it didn't sound a 9 just yet.

      I hope Ciipher continues that path! I love that the concept is neither cute or badass and the members are really promising!

      Delete
    3. I agree with you about what you said concerning Lim Jimin, KXXEO!
      He made himself as a promising soloist when I first heard his solo 2019 songs in early 2020, and I was really looking forward to his eventual debut in a group. Glad to know Lim Jimin finally got to debut in the group (a year late lol but better late than never I suppose)!

      MIRAE's 'Killa' reminded me so much of NCT 127's 'Superhuman', which is a track I love, so perhaps the positive reviews was concerning how EDM didn't have much of a presence in recent years of K-pop? But completely understandable why you're not sold on the song as much. The tracks you've mentioned are awesome in their own right :)
      Also, good to know another fellow fan of The Boyz's 'Right Here'! That track of theirs deserves way more attention...

      Delete
    4. Thank Haruko! I think what made people sold with Killa is its full commitment to going with this kinda glitchy edm triangle synth pop, that's reminiscent to what you said Superhuman by NCT! And it fits a rookie group's sound best. The song refreshingly didn't have trap breakdowns or predictable mellow verses that plagued bg songs lately. I would say I like the ambition behind Killa more than the actual song itself but the song itself is still really good. And Right Here is already a classic in my books!

      Delete
    5. I love it when there is discussion in the comments section! Great thoughts Haruko and KKEXO!

      Lim Jimin has thoroughly impressed me too. I loved his solos, but he fully impressed in Just B with his deep Yongguk-esque voice.

      The Right Here and Superhuman comparision is apt!

      Delete
  3. BLITZERS have been one of my favourite rookies to come out this year, mainly because it's rock.... and it's rap... Rap-rock hits differently, man! And you're right, it really helps when they have a consistent team backing them up. Hopefully we get to hear more of their rock sound twisted in unique and different musical directions in their career (perhaps a similar approach to Dreamcatcher..?)

    Yuqi is also such an awesome surprise to come out this year. Her two songs have been great (especially 'Bonnie and Clyde').
    Can't wait to see your remaining top 10, 108ent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love rap-rock too! Indeed, that is what initially drove me towards ACE in 2019, they still do rap-rock occasionally, as with the incredible 'Favorite Boys'. I hope Blitzers develop a consistent sound. Like Dreamcatcher, as you said.

      Hope you enjoyed the whole countdown!

      Delete

Post a Comment