Review: Sexy Zone - The Finest


Review: Sexy Zone - The Finest

Based on its pre-releases, previews, and leaks, Sexy Zone have set the J-Pop community on fire as of late. Despite not exactly being the most loved Johnny's group, their post-2020 transformation has guaranteed the band a larger fandom and increasing acclaim. Part of this is due to their upcoming album clearly aiming for a City Pop sound. As a massive City Pop fan (the genre's token track, Plastic Love, is one of my favorite songs of all time), I couldn't be more excited. It also shows Johnny's finally trying out a new sound for their first time in ages.

I was split on which song to review, but I chose the single The Finest, which was released in a three-minute version, and will eventually get a longer version on the album. I must note however, Time Travel is as good, if not even a bit better. The Finest is pure '80s City Pop, I could not enjoy that any more.

Unlike many modern City Pop songs, The Finest genuinely feels like a classic City Pop from the '80s. It has the charm and melody, while adding a few modern tricks. The vocal styling is pure Sexy Zone, giving the song a unique touch. Of course, this is to assist Sexy Zone's best melody since Run two years ago. I love the rising hook in the chorus, it is quite incredible and catchy. Even without that refrain, the song is so catchy and fun.

With surprisingly decent English lyrics, catchy hooks, and a melody that is quite fantastic, The Finest is certainly going to make end-of-year-lists. While it is not ambitious by any means, it does what it is supposed to do quite fantastically, and deserves praise for that alone.

Rating: 8.75/10


Image Source: Arama Japan

Comments

  1. Maybe it's time for me to check more on Sexy Zone... For a first city pop track, the melody in this is very nice!
    Also the MV just screams 80s and I'm living for it, especially the (sexy) art direction the MV went for.

    Sexy Zone are indeed "The Finest".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean Haruko, they made Run one that really defined the J-Pop industry and was a very formidable song. Sexy Zone is good.

      Delete
    2. I agree with StillBangtan (long time no see!), Sexy Zone have had a really solid discography as of late. I'd start with 'Let's Music', 'Run', or 'Not Found'.

      And also, I can't tell from your comment if you mean this is your first City Pop track or Sexy Zone's, but in case this is your first, I'd suggest you hear Mariya Taekuchi's 'Plastic Love', Junko Ohashi's 'I Love You So', and Tatsuro Yamashita's 'Sparkle'. Also not sure if Yellow Magic Orchestra count, but the whole Solid State Survivor album is a must-listen.

      Delete
    3. Also, I'd check out this list by Patrick St. Michael, a reupload of one from a Japanese Magazine, a top 100 City Pop track series. It has quite a few amazing songs!

      https://mbmelodies.substack.com/p/make-believe-mailer-37-80s-canon?s=r

      Delete
    4. @StillBangtan

      SDHSFK, I haven't had the chance to look at Sexy Zone's music... yet 😭😔

      Delete
    5. @108Ent

      Ohh my bad, I should have been a bit more clear. This is my first time hearing Sexy Zone do a city-pop song!
      I keep forgoting that the classic Plastic Love is city-pop...
      And thanks for the recommendations! :)

      Delete
    6. Ah, makes sense, this is actually Sexy Zone's first City Pop song as a whole if I am not wrong.

      Plastic Love is truly a classic, glad you enjoy it!

      Delete
    7. Btw, this 108 Ent. Due to some weird settings in Blogger. I'll see if I can fix it soon :(

      It is my own blog lol

      Delete
  2. Hi! I haven't been here for like months? Missed it here!

    So happy you reviewed the song because I love it! Sexy Zone's on a roll with great songs. My partner's a drummer, and he's been playing their songs lately. xD Do you have a link to Time Travel?

    Btw, have you dug into Ballistik Boyz? I just found out recently that they have good songs, some kinda similar to this one. And Ayumu Imazu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see you back Bluemonday, long time no see!

      Glad to hear your partner loves Sexy Zone's song. I mean, they have song great beats, and that could go great with a drum-set.

      Here is an upload of Time Travel. I love the flutes. Probably one of 2020's unsung gems.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_sQZYWaFS0

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I love Time Travel!

      Delete

Post a Comment