Review: Treasure - My Treasure

 

Review: Treasure - My Treasure

I think that when songwriters make a Treasure song, they have two aims. The first is an unneeded, jarring, second verse trap breakdown, and the other to have them say the word "Treasure" 5403 times at the least.

By this point, Treasure fans who discovered my site are probably not frequenting here too often. I mean I gave I Love You 5.5/10, and MMM 5/10, and I was nice. I really find their music lacks an identity post-debut. Despite this, I love their pre-debut single Going Crazy and Yedam's solo debut was one of my favorite 2020 songs. So hope still exists.

Lyrically, My Treasure is about hoping for a better world and being happy. This could be a generic song, a love song, or a pandemic song. I think they did this on purpose, perhaps to relate it to the current situation without breaking longevity.

The first verse is middling. It tries to be fun but is unwilling to indulge. I assume the producing team Future Bounce did not want to get criticized for the song being too light and fluffy, but they fail to add any weight to keep us entertained.

The chorus is fun. There are disco strings, and it is celebratory. But I cannot really recommend it too much. It is nice and even a bit classy, but there are better songs in the same style.

Of course, Treasure songs seem to be cursed with utterly terrible 2nd verse trap raps. Unlike in I Love You, I was not expecting it as it totally does not fit with the song. This makes it even more jarring. Long term, this will keep me from listening to it, truly hurting its longevity. The rest of the verse tries to salvage the situation with disco strings, but the damage is already done.

The climax edits to the chorus are great, the bridge is solid, and the high-note might be the best moment in the post-debut Treasure discography. Easily their best post-debut single, My Treasure is greatly hurt by a terrible rap but has its redeeming moments.

Rating: 7/10

Image Source: SBS

Comments

  1. Spot on. I agree completely with everything you said, my feelings are quite similar. Once they come back with something like Going Crazy (or Wayo, why not surprise us since it was also one of my favourite songs of 2020 haha) I will mark that day as a national holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, the vocal-line version of Wayo was soooo good, I liked it even more than the studio version for Yedam. I also really liked Going Crazy, it made me so hopeful. At least this is their best single since debut! Fingers crossed that things just keep going up!

      I'd proclaim an international holiday.

      Delete
  2. 108 Ent! You have been spot on with the longevity. I cannot listen to the song, anymore. It feels so unwarrantly unhappy and awkward. It feels like they were at gunpoint performing and recording it, and now I just find it not good anymore. Maybe a 7 for me now. How saddening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, it lacks that longevity it needs to succeed. It is just getting worse every other listen.

      Delete
  3. I'm so excited to announce! The Oracle Awards will be held on January 17, 2021 to highlight the best of Japanese music in 2020. Please watch and see the winners! Nominees include Kenshi Yonezu, SEXY ZONE, Yurina Hirate, SixTONES, LiSA, ARASHI, SEVENTEEN, LiSA, Official HIGE DANdism and more!

    Watch out on my blog! I hope you will see it and judge the winners if they deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nominees for Record of the Year was a tough call but it is: RUN, Laughter, Sun and Love, Imitation Rain, Winding Road, Mazy Night, Reason for Dance and Bang. I didn't mention this in the article since I really was out of time.

      Delete
    2. You know, I checked your blog, and was not able to find the post on it. Maybe I am viewing it wrong.

      But boy are those some great SOTY nominees! My end of year lists show how much I love those songs! Hope Laughter wins :)

      Delete
    3. Don't worry, it was scheduled for Sunday 6AM JST.

      Delete

Post a Comment