Review: Treasure - MMM

 

Review: Treasure - MMM

While I called it a grower and listed it as an honorable mention for the month, I now stand with my original score for 'I Love You' (5.5), it has not aged well. With that said, I think 'MMM' is the group's worst single. I loved Treasure's pre-debut material, but they have been choking me with their new single.

From moment one, it is clear this track is going to be NCT on a budget. The distorted electronics, hip-hop verses, and the overall feel is like NCT.  I must note if you want to act like NCT, get a Taeyong or Mark, or give lines that work with your rappers.

That said it is 'okay' until the "Runnin, Runnin". The (Pre-Chorus?) is so trendy and that too, a near-dead trend-like. I have no words for the "MMM" hook. It is so immature (just like the lyrics), and nothing like 'Wayo'. Overall, the chorus is a choker for the whole track.

There is some good rapping in the verses, but this song overall is a pretty sad affair. They better thank Blackpink for them not having the worst-rated track of 2020 from me. But then again, Blackpink jumped back, and I hope Treasure does too.

Rating: 5/10


Image Source: Inkistyle

Comments

  1. It is definitely their worst I rated it 53. Very sickening and very gross. I'm so sorry TREASURE, but YG seems to have a writer's slump these days. TREASURE was the group I had high expectations but failed to get on par with any of those. They delivered one of the worst releases this year. I absolutely agree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is all I have to say on Treasure's music:

      Pre-Debut: Wayo (somewhere from 8.75-9.25), Going Crazy (Somewhere from 8.5-9)

      Debut and After: Boy (Somewhere from 5.5-6.5), I Love You (5.5), MMM (5)

      How in the whole world did YG plan this rollout? I am sad but still hoping they finally deliver something as good as their pre-debut material.

      Delete
    2. To be very brutal I hated Going Crazy since I don't like Justin Bieber-pop style music or the American manufactured sound but to be honest I would love them to go back there than this utter crap

      Delete
    3. By the way, what do you think about TAEMIN, HA SUNGWOON and GFRIEND? I surprisingly liked TAEMIN. But I may have to lower his score. HSW very simple yet very perfect. GFRIEND nailed it

      Delete
    4. True, American manufactured pop is not usually my style, but I found Going Crazy felt legitimate due to the honesty and sincerity of the performance.

      I am actually surprised at how high you scored Taemin. I have reviews for Gfriend and Taemin coming eventually, so I will not say anything.

      I actually enjoyed Forbidden Island quite a bit, particularly the funk spread across the track. I did not go gaga over it though, and I doubt its staying power, it feels similar to the Wonho and Moonbin&Sanha lead singles recently, I would give it an 8.25 or something of the sort like that.

      Delete
    5. I absolutely loved WONHO and M&S those are 9s for me but I get what you are absolutely talking about. It seems very common and a better thing may have came out if they tweaked those singles a bit.

      Delete
    6. I just heard the GFRIEND album it is IMMACULATE. My goodness the best album in the retro genre this year on par with Abel and Dua. I cannot believe this. GFRIEND is amazing, 97. I rarely give 96 and above I just give it to legendary albums. Like The Beatles, Yoo Jae-Ha, QUEEN, Bjork or mono. The new GFRIEND album is just. Mindblowing. I will rate this later!

      Delete
    7. Wow, than I guess I will have to give that album a listen soon :)

      Delete
  2. But the remixing/remastering of Apple was I don't know but mixed feelings, they decompressed it this time but it became bare. The original had more oomph but was overly compressed. I think they should've had a much better mastering engineer next time. MAGO is amazingly mastered but suffers from compression. That is actually Big Hit's problem their overly compressed mastering but I mean it is better 100% than sometimes SM/JYP mastering.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment