Top 10 BTS Songs

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0d/%E2%80%98LG_Q7_BTS_%EC%97%90%EB%94%94%EC%85%98%E2%80%99_%EC%98%88%EC%95%BD_%ED%8C%90%EB%A7%A4_%EC%8B%9C%EC%9E%91_%2842773472410%29_%28cropped%29.jpg

Top 10 BTS Songs

Yay a new feature! I really don't have to explain much, title tracks, and b-sides both count. Solo tracks count only if they are in a group album.

In honor of BTS's new album, I have written this countdown.

One of music's biggest modern bands, BTS made a name for themselves for coming out of near nowhere to topping basically every western chart you can think of at the top of your head. While they may not have the best songs of all time, they have been consistent, resulting in a massive honorable mention list. You will notice 9/10 of my song choices in the top 10 were promoted from 2014-17, I think this is Bangtan's golden era, but that does not mean their songs before and after were weak though. I only counted solo tracks that were in group albums. The honorable mentions are in no particular order.

Honorable Mentions:

No More Dream
Just One Day
Intro: Persona (RM solo)
Interlude: Shadow (Suga solo)
Lie (Jimin solo)
We are Bulletproof: The Eternal
First Love (Suga solo)
Butterfly
Dionysus
So What
Fake Love
Idol
Spring Day
Dope
  

Top Honorable Mention: Come Back Home (2017)

Probably my most divisive choice, Come Back Home is actually a remake of the 1990s Seo Taiji hip-hop classic. The remake is considered divisive as it changed up several elements from the original track. Still, it is perhaps one of the best example of the 2010s doing old school 90s stuff right.

 

10. Fire (2016)

'Fire' is a big bad party starter. And while the vocalists get their moments through the track (mostly through the pre-chorus), the real treat of the track is seeing the rappers let loose during the verses each in their on style.


9. Mikrokosmos (2019)

An anthem for peace and hope, BTS never before sounded so delicate, yet inspirational, it may not be their most fun track, but boy is it one their most uplifting. It stands as the best of their post-2017 material.


8. Danger (2014)

A proper successor to Boy In Luv, this Hip-Hop/Rock hybrid is one of those songs that work all ways. From the excellent ballad mix, to watching the excellent choreo, Danger blends BTS's traditional charisma with old school elements to create an ambitious track which showed you should not kid the guys. 


7. Not Today (2017)

The last single from an excellent streak of 9/10 or higher new singles continuously that started with Boy In Luv. Not Today stands as the group's best hype track. From the excellent rap lines to the massive chorus, the song convinces all that though BTS may fall someday, it is definitely Not Today.


6. Save Me (2016)

The melodic track with one of the vocal line's best performances, Save Me functions as the group's successor to I Need U and Run. Simplistic and without the tricks and turns many expect with K-Pop, Save Me works with any situation while functioning as the group's most artistic single. 


5. Boy In Luv (2014)

Don't underestimate this beast of a hip-hop/rock hybrid. Filled to the brim with personality, this is one song where both the rappers and vocalists get to show their skill. While 'I Need U' broke them out, it was this song that made people know this group. The climax is just perfect. Just don't confuse it with the group's similarly titled blockbuster 'Boy with Luv'.


4. Boyz with Fun (2015)

In the end, BTS is probably as well known for their personalities as they are for their music. And while I love the dark and deep singles the band releases at times, I like it when they are themselves, not their stage personas. Rather than go for separate songs for each memongber (like in Wings or MOTS:7), HYHH pt.1 blended their personas together for one hella fun s. With a crazy second verse where the members improvise and sing as themselves, a madly catchy chorus, it is hard not to smile when this song plays.


3. Run (2015)

The more upbeat yet tragic successor to 'I Need U', while 'Run' did not make us cry as much as its predecessor, the rap based single showed us the glory of BTS's rap line while continuing to feel sad. Few songs have showcased the will to face our fears after defeat as well as this 2015 K-Pop classic did.


2. Blood, Sweat & Tears (2016)

Yes, it borrows from the trends of its era. But it blends all of this together in a perfect package. From Jimin's opening line to the rappers' raps, to the tempting finale and the grandeur chorus, this is song is the full package and deserves its labeling as the modern classic of BTS. It is a classic example of mainstream pop trying something new and succeeding. It made me see this group of scruffy, emo hip-hop kids in a new light.


1. I Need U (2015)

The BTS break-out song, I Need U is a classic example of the underdog coming out on top due to their effort. Rather than be another break-up song, I Need U took the group's use of social commentary and took it captive for a brilliant song of obsessive love. Between brilliant synth use, the tragic MV, the melancholy vocals, the hypnotic rap, the song does not do much wrong. While it is not an all-mood song, it is one of the best break-up songs ever written, period.

 

 

Comments

  1. Amazing list indeed! Very well constructed and I understand your inclusion of Mikrokosmos.

    What do you think about ENHYPEN's medley? Personally, I was absolutely thrown aback and worried by the vocal processing. It was for the 1st time horrible and super ugly to my taste. Maybe because I know ENHYPEN's real ability even before them debuting. Unlike TXT which I was grown to their voices which were vocally processed already so I was accustomed to it. This feels bad. But overall, a solid tracklist. Better than any debut this year. Absolutely enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are your top 10 BTS songs?

      The medley sounded surprisingly "Chill" to me at times, as I thought Big Hit would try to go for a more adventurous concept as it is a debut (Don't know why, but I secretly was hoping for something like A.C.E's Under Cover).

      And they really need to stop the vocal processing at Big Hit for real, I heard it even in the performances at I-Land, so I am not sure on the group's vocals, except for Heesung maybe (or maybe it is because he just stood out to me, my favorite trainee at I-Land after K).

      Delete
    2. I'm so sorry for my late reply... My Personal Top 10 is:
      1. I NEED U
      2. Save Me
      3. Blood, Sweat, and Tears
      4. Converse High
      5. FIRE
      6. Bapsae
      7. No More Dream
      8. 134340
      9. UGH!
      10. DNA

      Well that was impromptu so maybe it will change but #1-5 is a lock. No one can change that for me, unless a surefire critical hit from BTS will appear. Sure, I didn't quite like what happened post-2017 to BTS. But I've been supporting them, they have helped me combat my struggles personally and my 1st album is LY: Answer so I have still a lot of loyalty to BTS. That will never change. BTS will be legends, 30-50 years from now, I just have a gut feeling about that.

      Well about the Hardstyle genre that you wish and I too wish Big Hit will apply maybe that will happen to ENHYPEN later or maybe in 2022. I just hope I will be able to see it. The vocal processing was a red flag to me. But I look at songs compositionally, lyrically and arrangement-wise so the performance doesn't have big marks in my critical reviews. One of my prinicples in reviewing is that: "I believe that all K-Pop groups are perfect and made to be perfect but the only way to separate them is the songs. That is what I'm after."

      Delete
    3. Wow, we have similar top 5s (I felt crushed when Save Me missed my top 5), and I love all those top 5 songs, but with the exception of No More Dream, most of your bottom 5 stood out for me. You discover funny things when you compare lists.

      Ya, with the amount of training put into them, most K-Pop artists are super talented. I just wish they were allowed to produce their own tracks more.

      Delete
    4. 108Ent, you hit the nail! That is what the industry lacks. I hate to break to some people but I put higher scores if the members participated in the song. I can also feel more oomph to the songs, well that is my taste. But I am for a more independent industry and not corporate backed songs.

      Delete
  2. Any thoughts on this one? https://rollingstoneindia.com/100-greatest-bts-songs/ I find it interesting that Dynamite is above many legendary and better BTS songs. ON is bove there too as expected, I just didn't get why critics except from America are just OK with ON. Well I guess ON was flat all-along I guess? Anyways I find it funny how many of our songs did enter the Top 10. We really are music critics indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am not sure if agreeing with Rolling Stone makes one a critic, though I do fancy anyone who gives logical criticisms a critic :)

      I am shocked on some of the placements on RS list, Idol in the 60s? Dynamite in the top 15? I would not put ON so high. I get what it is about and love the snare-drums, but the hip-hop verses and auto tune are buzz-kill.

      Delete

Post a Comment