Review: BTS - Dynamite

BTS - Dynamite (official cover).png
By Source, Fair use, Link

Review: BTS - Dynamite

This song actually came out a few days ago, but since it became the first K-Pop song to reach number one on the billboard hot 100, I decided I would do a belated review.

First, I would like to note that had I reviewed this song on launch-day, it would around 0.75 points lower. It has proven one hell of an ear-worm and found myself singing this song basically everywhere. It has also gotten several plays. Essentially, it may represent the type of song I like more than I want to.

The song opens with an a capella section by Jungkook. This is followed by the rappers singing a few lines. If there is one thing this bright song needs to find an identity, it needs a bit of rap. And this leads into my biggest issue with this song: it feels like any other English summer pop song, just better done.

The vocals in particular are troublesome in the studio version. I never thought I would not be able to tell the difference between Taehyung and Jimin's vocals, but that was a legitimate issue with the song. The vocal processing was too heavy. Thus, I suggest one to check out the live MTV VMA performance instead. Their vocals are way better showcased.

The instrumentation plays out like a more mainstream interpretation of Future Nostalgia disco. It could really do with a little more of (as the song says) 'Funk and Soul'. It truly thrives during the jubilant chorus, which in the end caused me to repeat this song more than I want. At the climax, the song switches key and adds a dynamic feel. Though much weaker, this approach reminds me of Boyfriend's 2013 classic 'I Yah'.

Dynamite is not the new 'Blood, Sweat and Tears' or 'I Need U', but it is not trying to be. It is just trying to be a fun summer song. And in this it is a massive success.

Rating: 8.5/10

Comments

  1. My boys are back, thanks for being open-minded so much. I guess many people hate the BTS success, it's been a bandwagon trend. I am however still into them after 3 years. ON is amazing. This is fun, authentically fun, not forced, it is just fun. That is what we need.
    (P.S. I'm a sucker for Big Hit artists as most of them are well... REALLY my favorites)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Initially I did not think much of the song, but it has proven an ear-worm. I just keep humming it! The America's Got Talent and MTV VMA performances also are brilliant because the vocals are much more clear. Personally, ON is a fine song, but as a track from one of modern music's leader, it was slightly underwhelming. I'd probably give it a solid 8 :)

      Delete

Post a Comment