Review: BTS - Life Goes On

BTS - Life Goes On (Vinyl).png
By Source, Fair use, Link, Wikimedia

 Review: BTS - Life Goes On

BTS is perhaps the biggest group or artist in the world, but member Kim Seokjin's military enlistment is just about a month away. Thus, new album 'BE' and new single 'Life Goes On' was always going to be a more sentimental song than what the group normally does.

'Life Goes On' is severely inspired by the group's most successful (and arguably most iconic) song 'Spring Day', so much that I really had times separating them at times.

Vocal-processing, usually a horrible factor in Big Hit singles works pretty fine through the song, except for Yoongi's (pretty bad) second verse line, and I usually enjoy his lines the most in the group's history. It also is slightly distracting in the final chorus.

Speaking of the chorus, it is not as instant as Spring Day's. I guess it is subtle on purpose to match the feelings of many in the middle of the pandemic and lockdown. I feel its subtlety might grow on me.

Overall, I doubt 'Life Goes On' will be my favorite BTS single, but I may return to it during moments where I feel down. It feels like a TXT b-side (maybe a 2020 version of 'Nap of a Star'), but BTS adds their own vibe.

Rating: 8.25/10

Comments

  1. I absolutely love this song a solid 9.5/10! I've longed this type of ballad as Persona ballads were very manufactured for my taste that is why Persona was 3.75/5. BE is just quintessential BTS! I absolutely enjoy BE, even a tad bit higher than MOTS: 7. Maybe 4.7/5. Well I'm glad you enjoyed LGO! Also with the new Military Amendment Act of 2020. Jin's conscription will be moved to December 2022, where he will be 30 years old at that moment. Well congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also happy there isn't much vocal processing in this. Compared to the trend of BH processing since 2019. I'm impressed. Props to the recording engineers which btw, are BTS themselves so yeah. Aside from the critics' average reviews leading to a still impressive 81 on TrackScore, I guess Western critics will side with the better side maybe a low of 80 to a high of 87 on MetaCritic. r/kpop loves this song very impressively weird... Since r/kpop is a gatekeeping hub most of the time.

      Delete
    2. Ya, the vocal processing is much better than MOTS:7 :)

      I actually loved most of the Persona ballads (one just made my top 10 BTS tracks list).

      I did not know of the new military service act, I should look it up.

      Sorry for the late reply, last day or so was really busy.

      Delete
  2. By the way, what do you think about BAE173? I loved it, I must contest Nick that this isn't generic, because of GALAKTIKA's well known mushing electronic technique, which is quite impressive. The highlight is the bridge, the mixing is bad on YouTube, but the Spotify is quite a bit better, though not really good. A 9/10.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I am not the biggest fan of the verses, the chorus is quite good, making the track more enjoyable than it has any right to be, it actually is quite refreshing.

      Delete
    2. Well really disappointed about this analysis that seemed really biased towards the group.
      The song is frankly in my opinion overrated, it doesn't have the level of Spring Day. The chorus is really basic and doesn't hit hard like the legendary SD. The song needs more work, it looks like incomplete... A 7/10 for me, the song doesn't have a long longetivity.

      Delete
    3. True, it is nothing when compared to Spring Day (one of my go to quarantine tracks), and the chorus was underwhelming. But I gave it a high score for a few reasons.

      a) My expectations have been quite low for recent BTS title tracks, so this one came as a pleasant surprise.

      b) I reviewed it within an hour of its release, and wanted to give it the benefit of doubt (now I may give it an 8 or so).

      c) I feel its lyrics resonated with me stuck at my home. And I think this is what pushed it to an 8.25. In the end, reviews are a snapshot in time, and this song might be reviewed quite differently outside the pandemic.

      Thank you for the comment and have a great day!

      Delete

Post a Comment