Double Review: NCT U - Make a Wish (Birthday Song) & From Home

NCT 2020 Resonance Pt. 1 cover.jpg
Photo Source (Wikimedia): (WP:NFCC#4), Fair use, Link

Double Review: NCT U - Make a Wish (Birthday Song) & From Home 


Make a Wish (Birthday Song)

 Definitely the more old school of the two title tracks on the new NCT album, 'Make a Wish' reminds me of the post-H.O.T, early TVXQ era SMP sound that we also saw this style in Sehun's 'On Me' from earlier this year. Make a Wish bunks expectations by going for a hip-hop heavy first verse before moving on to a more melodic second verse. This all ends in an excellent climax for the track (especially in the Korean version).

While it might disappoint as the title track of such a massive album, it is an amazing single in its own right.

Rating: 8.75/10

From Home

From Home has a unique gimmick, each member gets to sing his native language, and it truly feels natural (even more so if you can tell the difference between Mandarin, Korean, and Japanese, and if you are reading this, hopefully, English). A good high-note here and there, and an emotional vibe. From Home might not be active, but the emotion is felt.

Rating: 8/10

 

Comments

  1. TBH and very frank, I didn't like the 1st time I listened to this I immediately gave it a 6/10. Now maybe a 7/10 is probably ok. I just do not vibe with the song, but that is my opinion; objectively it is a very solid production with catchy hooks and ofc SMP, well now that you said it I think I must dive TVXQ! alot now because I seem to forget some of their songs... but my problem ofc is the lyrics but it is passable I must say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, the lyrics were weak for this track (I assume you mean Make A Wish), but I forgave it because NCT is more about rap and production rather than lyrics.

      As for TVXQ tracks, I have a few great suggestions to get started. I will ignore the well-known classics like O jung ban hap and Love in the Ice, etc., and focus on the less known ones.

      Phantom
      Break Out
      Fighting Spirits of the East
      Darkness Eyes
      Last Angel
      Maximum
      Hi Ya Ya
      Way U Are
      Triangle
      City Lights
      Manipulate
      Master

      Delete

Post a Comment