Review: Lee Changsub - Surrender


Review: Lee Changsub - Surrender

I have been predicting the downturn of synth-pop of a while, but it has yet to come. I guess as the A-List acts move on to house or pop-rock, the trends move to older artists and the indie scene. Changsub comes from the former, with the singer being a member of the legendary K-Pop band BTOB.

Before I talk about the song, I must note the MV. Even with a somewhat simple concept and execution, it stands out due to a strong dance performer and a cleverly shot, claustrophobic angle, which is somewhat reduced by the end of the MV.

Unfortunately, the song is much more simple. Changsub has a fantastic voice, but his music has never been that experimental, even when he was not working within the spans of synth-pop. Something a little bit more emotionally intense would greatly support the song. I expected some emotional catharsis during the finale, but it never came, unfortunately. Some powerful high-notes would have done, and I am really surprised they never come.

Additionally, the melody can best be described as "fine." There is never any twist or turn, and the production largely reflects this, subtlely chugging onwards. It could make it into any synth-pop playlist, but I doubt I would ever individually seek it out. A few days ago, I praised VIZO's A HA due to how unnerving it sounded, despite kowtowing to trends. I wish I could say the same to Surrender, but it never happens.

Surrender can best be described as serviceable. It never seeks to amaze, but it seeks to never disappoint. If you judge it on that standard, it succeeds. However, with a voice like Changsub's, much more is possible. Last year, he and his group BTOB showed they still could surprise with their best song, the incredible Finale. I only hope Changsub provides something like this next time.

Rating: 7/10

Purchase Lee Changsub's Surrender, and its accompanying album, right here!


Image Source: The Bias List

Comments

  1. Here to say I still love this one, as basic as it is in melody.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean yeah, I totally see this song's appeal, it has even grown a little on me since I wrote this review.

      Delete

Post a Comment