Review: YOASOBI - Kaibutsu

 

Review: YOASOBI - Kaibutsu

YOASOBI made waves over the last year, becoming mega-stars. Ikura's vocals are instantly recognizable, and Ayase's compositions nearly as recognizable. Due to this, it was only time between them and more anime OSTs. Kaibutsu is an OST for Beastars and has the hard job of fitting an anime theme and the YOASOBI style.

The first thing one will notice is that the music is much more hellish and edgy than the usually dreamy YOASOBI sound. Despite this, the basic chord progression and style is all YOASOBI. The heavy electronic crunch calls back to the Vocaloid craze. In fact, this heavy electronic instrumental is a far cry from the more natural-sounding good releases this month.  Ikura's delivery is much more restrained than normal. I feel Ayase wanted the production to take the lead in the verse, and he succeeded.

The chorus, in contrast, is classic YOASOBI in the vocal performance, reminding me of their previous hits, before hitting an instrumental breakdown. While the chorus is fine, I wish it blended better with the verses.

The second verse and the rest of the song focuses on blending the new crunch sound with the classic YOASOBI. This is also where Ikura lets passion and emotional indifference becoming a major differencing point in the delivery.

The next section is driven by "Hey!" shouts, taking the place of the chorus. The bridge then lets a piano take the front, building back with drums and Ikura.

We then get a key change driving this song to its conclusion, full with rock guitars. We then get the elctronic breakdown, driving this song to its conclusion.

Easily the best YOASOBI song so far for me, Kaibutsu proves a unique take on the core YOASOBI sound.

Rating: 8.75/10

Image Source: Spice Eplus

Comments

  1. I better check this out! Also heads up on the title, its YOASBI. Well I guess we make the same errors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good grief! Both of us made title errors!

      Hope you enjoy the song :)

      Delete
    2. It is very good though, it has this rich and luscious synth key that is very gloomy and creeping but robotic in the chorus part which I loved. This is pretty well done, an 8.25!

      Delete
  2. I have a little obsession with EXILE Fantastics' High Fever now. This is not good. I am being sucked into stanning a Jpop group. It's like LA DI DA to me a 8.75. I really have an obsession with synthpop started by TXT then it went on with SUNMI then there goes the repeats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray, welcome to the world of J-Pop! High Fever is a great synth-pop track. I may not love it as much as you, Nick or Arpydarpy, but I still love it! Have you heard J Soul Brothers' Rising Soul? It is a great song to hear with High Fever.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, J Soul Brothers' song is amazing! Japan really has never been explored unlike other genres. I just find 2020 J-Pop ultra better than 2020 K-Pop. I can't even believe saying this. But K-Pop needs a rebound.

      Delete
    3. I think K-Pop is rebounding. Lucy, E'Last, and A.C.E are pushing things up for the boys, while girl groups are getting their act together too. That said, modern K-Pop is much weaker than modern J-Pop or golden era K-Pop (1998-2013).

      I am going to suggest two J-Pop albums for you to check out. I am obsessed with songs from both. The first is AAA's Buzz Communication (2011), and member Nissy's 2017 Hocus Pocus 2. If you have not heard them, do so when you can!

      Hope you discover the new world of J-Pop!

      Delete
    4. That is amazing! I've been needing recommends from some time now! Thanks! This is helping me.

      Delete
    5. 108! This is K-Pop emergency I found that Daniel Kim the producer of High Fever wrote Giddy Up (THE BOYZ), Famous (TAEMIN), Enough (SF9)* my favorite SF9 song ever. We need more Daniel Kim!!!!! Plus Jiyeon Park also the producer is a KOREAN! PLEASE COMEBACK TO K-POP!

      Delete
    6. Ooh boy, I did not know of him! Thanks for bringing him to my note! I am now going to check out his production discography!

      Glad you enjoyed my recommendations. Nissy is part of AAA, and so is Sky-Hi and Misako Uno. They are probably my favorite J-Pop group :)

      Delete

Post a Comment