Review: Girls' Generation - Forever 1


Review: Girls' Generation - Forever 1

Back in 2017, legendary K-Pop girl group Girls' Generation celebrated their tenth anniversary with the album Holiday Night. Not only did it take advantage of nostalgia, but it also stood as an extremely fresh release that reminded fans around the world of how capable of a group Girls' Generation were, but stands still as an example of a near-perfect anniversary release five. Its single All Night remains one of my favorite songs from the group on its own right. While Forever 1 is a fine anniversary release, I doubt it will have longevity on its own right.

Over the past year or so, SM have aced the act of returns of their classic groups. SHINee dominated 2021, TVXQ's rollout through much of late 2021 and early 2022 was incredible, and Super Junior's release last month has slowly grown into one of my favorites of the group in recent memory. As a result, the slowly hyped rollout for Girls' Generation's first comeback in five years had everyone brimming with anticipation. Additionally, the composer for the group's debut single, Into The New World, Kenzie, was back to write the lead single. Additionally, the teasers hinted at the sampling of the aforementioned classic song. Maybe the expectations were a little too high, but Forever 1 doesn't really reach the group's peak heights for me.

I feel this may be more of a problem with my expectations than the song itself. I have seen a lot of fans gush over the single, and I am so glad to see that. However, the buildup for Forever 1 has been so fantastic, that I feel more split in my reaction. On its own, Forever 1 works really well, sounding somewhat like what would have happened if Fromis_9 continued down their sentimental teen pop sound from their debut year (think Love Bomb's chorus). The building and thundering club beat merges excellently with the girl's voices, as sharp as they were fifteen years ago.

Forever 1 is more than serviceable, it is strong and nostalgic, but Girls' Generation are one of the K-Pop groups that have shown that they can provide more than that. Each of the members are successful and iconic stars in their own right, and the group together are one of the most successful in K-Pop history for a reason. With all eight or nine members together, I expect chills, moments that will stick you for years. All Night's dreamy atmosphere, the topsy-turvy ride from the first listen of I Got a Boy, the iconic chorus of Genie, the thumping electropop rush of Paparazzi, literally every single moment of Into the New World, and much, much more.

Forever 1 does not provide any moment of such chills, though the Into the New World-sampling bride comes close. I blame that on the saturation of anniversary events. Forever 1's chorus also feels a little too bit cheery. Perhaps something a bit more sentimental would help? I really don't want to be too harsh on Forever 1, as I feel all the energy and passion surrounding it.

This all might sound like I hate Forever 1, but I really don't. They say you are harshest on those you care for most, and I know Girls' Generation can, and have, released much better songs. That said, I know it is likely that Forever 1, even if not an all-time classic, will stick around for the next few months on its own merits. Besides, the album certainly has its charms.

Rating: 8/10

Purchase Girls' Generation's Forever 1 album right here!


Image Source: NME

Comments