Review: NCT 127 - 2 Baddies


Review: NCT 127 - 2 Baddies

Note: Part of this review came from a comment I left on TheBiasList.

So one of my judges of various songs is to look at how they might be viewed 10 years from now. For this, and many new NCT songs, the answer is “dated.” The unfortunate fact is that NCT are so popular that their style is imitated often, and unfortunately, their music has to work even harder to beat trends. Starting in 2020, I feel that they have been falling behind the general trends, instead of pushing what they could be. 2 Baddies comes off the heels of such a transformation for NCT, especially their 127 unit, who perform the song.

Unfortunately, 2 Baddies is just too bad (I am more proud of that line than I should be). The issue is NCT have, after rising to the top of the charts, had no reason to try. I blame this on SM's directors, who have let NCT's extreme talent run on autopilot. Thankfully, 2 Baddies seems to be aware that it is very bad. The hyper-visual style screams cheese, and SM has a history of cheese.

Unfortunately, 2 Baddies is both safe and extremely annoying. The lyrics are outright awful, from referencing Blues Clues to the great chorus hook, "2 Baddies 1 Porsche." The lyrics proclaim "Look at the coolness as it is, money and manner." There seems to be some innate joke within the song of its own badness, but just joking about how your music is bad does not somehow make it good.

It is a shame, as NCT's members still remain quite talented, and they certainly make do with what they are given. Unfortunately, the song does literally nothing. The bass is heavy, the chants are loud, and there is no melody. There is a reason Dream have crossed 127 in the charts as of late, and SM better change their plan, for 127's talent is too much for this song.

Rating: 4.5/10

Purchase NCT 127's 2 Baddies album right here and support 10/10 - Music!


Image Source: More Snores

Comments

  1. Honestly, i don't mind this song. I like the abrasive production. Maybe it's because 'Sticker' set my expectations at an ALL TIME LOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, for me, the abrasive production helps a little bit, but it feels random and all over the place. I mean look at the chorus, it is loud and heavy, but for what reason? It all feels and random and ridiculous. But anyway, glad you like the song!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Ohm on the abrasive production as highlight. It is the signifying facet of this project. It might be the only thing that prevents me from scoring this a zero. 2 Baddies in my opinion, is a characterization of hyperconsumerist propaganda in the context of an already overcrowded music field. It tries to be ahead of itself yet succumbs to the reductionist, and regressive critique of what it characterizes as its being. Totally, a disaster and one in which SM just continues to degrade this group's inherent potential

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have used a lot of words to describe songs, but I will be the first to admit, "hyperconsumerist propaganda" has never been in my wordbook lol. But yeah, this song is a total disaster, SM really is continuing to waste the group's potential in an overcrowded music field. 100% agree with you!

      Delete

  3. I think when an artist has done a particular style so many times that it gets harder to make newer releases more different and special than their other songs (especially if you don't particular enjoy the sound). Baddies is VERY NCT 127 and I like some parts of it. But something about 2 Baddies tires me out faster than most of their past title tracks. I was a lot more enamoured with their b-side 'Faster' which I'm happy they picked it for their promoted b-side.

    "There is a reason Dream have crossed 127 in the charts as of late"
    Oof. Yeah. I still enjoy most of Dream's title tracks (even the louder ones like Glitch Mode) but yeah
    you can't deny the 127 influence. I feel like WayV could fall into the trap easily too (i.e. 'Bad Alive') given how much more similar their musical identities are at a first glance. But WayV's vocals... Man I love how many of their songs still treat their vocals with respect, especially the vocalists.

    With that said, I'm... cautiously optimistic for WayV with their upcoming comeback... In the words of Ten earlier this month: "no more kick back... we gonna kick forward".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your first paragraph sums up everything I wanted to say with the song. Also, your writing is as immaculate as ever Haruko!

      Also I certainly am excited for WayV's comeback. I feel their songs have a more classic SMP tinge to them that has been absent from NCT's other recent songs. Wonder how they will handle Lucas and Winwin though.

      Delete
    2. Aww thank you. Your writing is fantastic as always too :)
      Personal reminder that I'm commenting on fellow bloggers' posts and not writing a post on my blog though haha.

      Winwin's actually back in Korea recently so I think we'll see him in the comeback!
      And Lucas... yeah SM's gotta update on the Lucas situation (it's already been a year)...

      Delete
    3. Thanks Haruko! I actually love your comments, they are often better than the posts.

      Winwin is back in Korea? Really, there were rumors he had left SM. I wonder how SM convinced him to stay. Maybe they promised him lines? Also, yeah SM really needs to say something about Lucas, it has been ages...

      Delete
  4. Haven't listened to this once since it dropped. Don't plan to tbh. It also kind of killed my mood to check out the bsides, I really should take time for that considering I always end up liking at least 1 or 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have not had the energy to check out the b-sides. I mean, I guess I should eventually. Maybe after a potential repackage?

      Delete

Post a Comment