Review: TVXQ! - Light My Moon Like THIS


Review: TVXQ! - Light My Moon Like THIS

Epitaph | Like Snow White Small Talk | Mahoroba | Storm Chaser | Light My Moon Like This

Receiving a lyrical MV soon after launch, Light My Moon Like THIS is the final single from the excellent Epitaph EP. Light My Moon Like THIS was my favorite song from the album previews Avex released, and while it did not fully live up to my expectations of it, it still is the album's peak highlight and one of the best songs this year so far.

With the 'Frankenstein song' sound being arguably one of the most popular in Korea at the moment, I think it is important to realize how TVXQ (with legendary composer Yoo Young-Jin) were behind much of the trend. While Girls' Generation and SHINee certainly do deserve all the credit for their revolutionary releases in the early-to-mid 2000s, particularly Tri-Angle and Rising Sun, both of which built on H.O.T's more experimental tracks with uniqueness. However, TVXQ have not come back to that sound for years, moving to smoother material. The new track Light My Moon Like THIS pays tribute to their past while pulling to the new sound.

Light My Moon Like THIS is exactly how a good Frankenstein song can be done. Combining two b-sides, one from Yunho's recent EP, and another from Changmin, both songs are simply played over each other for a simple yet effective structure. Both Changmin's Light Up My Moon and Yunho's Shake it Like THIS were somewhat minimalist tracks, but with very different vibes. While Shake it Like THIS was fun and upbeat but in a sort of nostalgic sense, even if it had some underwhelming segments. On the other hand, Light Up My Moon was lyrically clever ("Will the rain hide my tears?" is probably my favorite line this year so far) with a sense of heartbreak. However, once they are played over each other, they complement together fantastically.

Changmin leads the track with his vocal performance altering between whispers and dramatic vocal attacks. Yunho largely just assists Changmin but gets his occasional moments to shine, such as when the chorus ends. Speaking of which, the song structure of both tracks over each other means that there is simply not a single dull moment in the track, as whenever there is a hook building in one song, the other explodes. It also makes the track perfect for headphones, with each hook building to the song's next attack.

This could get quite overwhelming quite quickly, and this has certainly killed many other songs within this style. However, Light My Moon Like THIS is spacious, never falling into the trappings of overwhelming the listener. The first half of this track could even be described as 'empty', with the first chorus featuring mild percussion alongside the vocals of Yunho and Changmin. The song does not remain stuck within this minimalist sound, however, slowly swelling in the second half before utterly releasing the pent-up emotions in the second half. When the chorus returns, it is met with surging strings, flying keys, and rising drums. This is perhaps the most transcendent musical moment this year. The final few bars are a little extended, but seeing Changmin and Yunho's voices final unite into a shared refrain was certainly worth it

Make no mistake, Light My Moon Like THIS is a fantastic retrospective over TVXQ's career, bringing Yunho and Changmin together for a fantastic track. I only expect it to improve with age, but it already is one of the best songs this year.

Rating: 9/10



Image Source: Hellokpop

Comments

  1. "Frankenstein song"
    That's an interesting and cool term to call these kind of songs like 'Light My Moon Like This'.
    I love how the instrumental and the duo's singing gives the illusion on how they bounce off each other in the chorus. Intersecting elements like that is just so fun to listen to!

    Also this song is proof that 'old K-pop trends' can still be great through modern reinventions, especially when it brings out their best.

    Great album review. It's cool to get a little bit more insight into TVXQ!'s career history from a fan :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The term 'Frankenstein song' is actually not mine, it is a well-established term given to the K-Pop songs such as Rising Sun, IGAB, Sherlock etc. Glad you like the song too!

      The revival of the trend of Frankenstein songs has been interesting to see. Hopefully we get another Rising Sun or O-Jung-Ban-Hap soon.

      Thanks Haruko! Hopefully this series encouraged you to check out some more TVXQ!

      Delete
    2. Just checked your Twitter Haruko, thanks so much for the shout-out!

      Delete
    3. Of course! Your site and this album needs to get more attention.

      Also ohh, it's my first time hearing the term (and even tried searching up lol so I thought it was something you coined).
      And YES! I'm with you there on the revival of Frankenstein songs.

      Delete
    4. I think before me, I have seen 'Frankenstein song' being used by TheBiasList and Billboard to describe various K-Pop songs, I am surprised nothing came up on the searches.

      Thanks once again, Haruko!

      Delete

Post a Comment