2021 Highlight Review: NCT U (Haechan & Doyoung) - Maniac (Prod. Ryan Jhun)


2021 Highlight Review: NCT U (Haechan & Doyoung) - Maniac (Prod. Ryan Jhun)

As I drafted my end-of-year lists, I realized that I had not reviewed some songs in the top 20, and sought to review the more notable ones as soon as possible. As a result, I reviewed Enjoy Enjaami and Ordunun Dereleri, both fantastic tracks that deserve all the love they can get. Unfortunately, if post views are anything to go by, the readers on this site are not interested in these songs too much. As a result, I highly suggest the readers of this post check those tracks out too.

However, I also realized I missed a K-Pop song for my end-of-year lists, and it is by one of the biggest groups active at the moment. I seem to not be the only one, however, as Maniac only has two million views. Part of this may be due to the fact that SM does not own the song, and it is not distributed on their channel. Instead, it is owned by composer Ryan S. Jhun for his Maxis series, a controversial producer known for making as many derogatory and outright stupid statements as he makes K-Pop classics.

Exclusively by NCT vocalists Haechan and Doyoung, both underrated, but extremely strong singers, Maniac bounces with their melodic voices. This is probably Haechan’s best performance since 2019’s Highway to Heaven, with him nailing each and every note. Doyoung is also a fantastic assist, with his deeper timbre playing of Haechan’s airy tone. As the two trade lines, each note powers things forward.

While perhaps not as instantly iconic or perfect as his best-known tracks, such as SHINee’s View and EXO’s Love me Right, Maniac has nearly as strong a melody. The chorus absolutely explodes with its flirty yet hopeful notes, each greater than the other. The verses, as the song itself says, are a ‘roller coaster ride’ in the best way, jumping from hook to hook.

This is, of course, assisted by Ryan’s competent production. The strummed rhythm guitar bounces along with a simple percussion loop, augmented by flying brass refrains. It all is highly triumphant and refreshing, showing what a catchy melody can do.

Maniac is not the most experimental or unique song this year, I can name several other songs which play basically the same tune as it. Nonetheless, it stands out with its classic melody and production, along with ample refinement.

Rating: 9.25/10


Image Source: Pinterest

Comments

  1. I'm so glad you reviewed this!!! This is my favorite release by NCT this year. I love the brass and guitar combination and the melody here is nostalgic. It also reminds me of Without You which is another NCT song I love. I'm so happy with the score!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is also my favorite NCT release this year. Nostalgic, melodic, and fantastic in all ways. It reminds of Without You, but with a much more poppier and forward sound. Glad you like it too!

      Delete
  2. Speaking of Ryan Jhun, did you happen to hear about the fictional band Luna from the kdrama Let Me Be Your Knight? He also composed their song Beautiful Breakup which is surprisingly good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is KXXEO btw :)

      Delete
    2. I really have a lot of the Luna songs from the drama. It reminds me of some of the best fictional band songs, AN Jell's Promise comes into mind instantly, but mostly due to nostalgia. I don't think I'll review any of their songs, but Beautiful Breakup is easily my favorite too!

      Delete
    3. Happy to hear you like it as well!!

      Delete
  3. Ahh, another favourite! The duo I knew would deliver something good and I'm glad that it wasn't a ballad but something so fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I too am glad it is not a ballad. This song really delivers!

      Delete

Post a Comment