Thoughts on The Boyz's 'Maverick'


Thoughts on The Boyz's 'Maverick'

To date, one of my most popular reviews (when compared to the rest of the posts in the month it came out), would be my review of Cravity's My Turn. It largely led my January-starting ascent in views with its Screenrant Pitch-Meeting style of ranting. The song deserved it. And now, The Boyz's latest single has given me a chance to return to that style.

Just a quick note: This is supposed to be for fun. No offence is meant to the songwriters, producers, executives, agency, singers, or anyone else involved with the song, or any song for that matter. All characters are fictional.


Cre.Kr (Cracker?) Executive (CE): So, you were a songwriter at Starship before coming here, am I correct?

Songwriter (SW): Yes! I really wrote some hits there, but I left due to some... creative differences.

CE: Good! We love some of your work, and our new song is inspired by some of your songs.

SW: Great! Gambler, I Like That, Veni Vidi Vici, and-

CE: No no no, we mean VROOM VROOM VROOM SKRRT

SW: Wait wha-

CE: That is a jam you made!

SW: Uhm, thank you? Are you going to base The Boyz's new song on that?

CE: No no

SW: Oh thank god, I already wrote some great verses with some flipping bass, speedy delivery, and a melodic pre-chorus.

CE: Great! I'll help with the chorus and lyrics!

SW: Goo-

CE: And I'll base them off EPEX's Lockdown's melody!

SW: What?

CE: Come on, reviewers love that track! 10/10 - Music gave it 10/3.5!

SW (Frustrated): He gave it 3.5/10!

CE: Really, I thought he was Canadian.

SW: Ugh, that is not how Canadian people work!

CE: Really, have you been to Texas?

SW: That is in the-ugh.

CE: So we want a cool line telling how The Boyz, a group with 4 years of experience, competed with some modern legends in a major show, and have been constantly coming back with new material.

SW: I think I got a line, it is-

CE: BACK IN THE GAME SON!

SW: Bu-

CE: Don't worry, I am a mind reader. All 20-year-old idols rising constantly have to call their more senior competition 'son'. TVXQ did that in their prime.

SW: Wait what?

CE: Don't tell me you never heard of Rising Son?

SW: Okay, moving on...

CE: So for this chorus, we do a total tempo drop to coincide with the 'Back in the game son' line.

SW: Wh-

CE: And we slow the speed to 5 BPM

SW: 5 beats per minut-

CE: Beats per millennium.

SW: Come on, follow a flow, have a set momentum, like Infinite's The Chaser.

CE: Uh no, that song sucks, we will even have a line to note that. 'Don't be a chaser!'

SW: Uh, what is the lyrical concept?

CE: How we refuse to follow trends.

SW: This is so on trend... What other lines have you got?

CE: My favourites, 'Super bad trouble', and 'Cut out the scenes from a corny hero movie '

SW: You know, this is partially better than my previous boss... what do you plan on doing for the melody?

CE: We will have a rising minor key instrumental

SW: Sounds goo-

CE: Sung over a major key line!

SW: I quit!

CE: Hey wait! Our MV is really unique! We will have a bunch of people competing against each other and killing them, totally unique!


All jokes aside, the song is not terrible subjectively, just bad. The hooks can be catchy, even if overblown. Most importantly, The Boyz perform the hell out of the song, only barely keeping it from collapsing.

By the way I am not from Canada or Texas. Thought I'll just say that.

Rating: 5.5/10


Image Source: TheBiasList

Comments

  1. This review is so entertaining XDD and agree the chorus really sounds like lock down. To be honest, even the stage performances cannot save this song, even someone as talented as Mihawk appears to be having a hard time making a choreo for a song as undanceable as this (this choreo is not up there as other tbz choreos). And the rating is about right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, glad you enjoyed the review, I love to let loose and fun occasionally lol.

      The stage performances improve the song, and kudos to Mihawk, the choreo is not toally terrible. But yeah, TBZ have had much better choreogrraphies.

      Delete
    2. Yes!! The "don't be a chaser line" is so ridiculous to me like no thanks, i'll just go back to listening to The Chaser by Infinite and Chaser by Woodz XDDD

      Delete
  2. BYE! Laughing at 6 am.

    Pre-chorus honey, I am so sorry they did this to you... you deserved so much better than to be followed by back in the game, SON.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah lol, the poor pre-chorus. I'd call the pre-chorus protection agency, or make one just for this and Vroom Vroom Skrrt.

      Delete
  3. I read this review and was listening to My Turn and I really laughed so much. I am now about to die of laughter. What the fck is wrong with Kakao M?! They did CRAVITY sh/t, JUST B dirty, and now THE BOYZ sounds like a bunch of stereotypical obnoxious K-Pop boy group song. I really really am so sad at how SM and Kakao M has blantantly ripped off anything in music. It is a genuine disaster.

    I AM CHOKING IN THIS REVIEW TBH. Just like what happened to My Turn this review deserves another Pulitzer Prize again. This is one of the best reads I had in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, glad you enjoyed reading this so much, thanks StillBangtan!

      But yeah, I am not sure if it is Kakao (they usually have a hands off method), and I don't think Cravity are under them (not sure on Just B, though they do distribute for each other). Either way, these have been underwhelming comebacks.

      Delete
    2. CRAVITY is under Starship which Kakao M owns, JUST B is under Bluedot which Kakao M founded just to create JUST B and THE BOYZ is under Cre.ker which is owned by Kakao. Kakao M is such a big company they are obsessed on making new artists welp, unfortunately their sound is the problem. It all reeks the same.

      Delete
    3. Ah, makes sense. Thanks StillBangtan!

      Delete

Post a Comment