Flashback Review: EXO - Wolf


Flashback Review: EXO - Wolf

EXO's Wolf is a much-maligned song, but...

Umm... sorry folks. Got a little carried away there... I meant that EXO's Wolf is

Damn it, keep it under control 108 Ent, you got this, Wolf is only-

Sorry folks, I meant...

WHY?! I mean, it is just Wolf, it is the only song that has 'Chogiwa', I can do this-

of all times for me to remember this, why now.


All jokes aside, it is moments like Chogiwa that allow Wolf to succeed. It is big, dumb, with a cascading instrumental and a performance by EXO which is 90% attitude, 10% vocals. It is silly, but knows that, and uses it fully. The lyrics are simple and goofy, which works better in the Chinese version, where the accented pronunciation, and them still using 'Sarangheyo' increases the stupidity.

Wolf is a song with moments. The escelating chants in the second verse, Chanyeol's 'Chogiwa' (or Kris's Yi Xing De), the dramatic and powerful pre-chorus (which is stronger than many give it credit for), and the stand out chorus. In a way, it is big, dramatic, and goofy, but at the same time, it could be a genuine pop song if it tried. In a way, I'd call it the Jackie Chan K-Pop song. Talented, but using its wild talent in a strange way. Many hated Wolf, and many still do. But it is a better song than you give it credit fo-

damn it.


Rating: 9.25/10



Comments

  1. BASED. Wolf is the holy trinity of EXO. Wolf, Growl and Overdose. NO ARTIST CAN EVER TOP THESE PERFORMANCES. Wolf is just inevitable. It is my life. It is the reason why I stanned EXO (now I do not). Wolf is my most streamed song of all-time. It just carried me to my existence. It is a bop. I am glad that we all agree Wolf is a critical masterpiece. It indeed is and forever will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wolf is really fun. Not surprised it is your most streamed song, it really is fun. HOWL SARANGHEYO, it gets stuck in your head after a single listen.

      Delete
  2. LOL! Love this.

    I love Wolf and I'm sorry for my neighbours cause I definitely tried singing to that last dramatic chorus way too many times lol. Vocals for days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your neighbors and mine have one thing in common then...

      Also, your comment here is the 1000th on my blog! I was wondering who would write it lol.

      Delete

Post a Comment